I didn't say I passed or failed. It was a reference to a practice exam guys. sidebar convo from earlier...

"Cut the burger into thirds, place it on the fries, roll one up homey..." - Epic Meal Time

how many months/week/hours per week did you guys have to study to pass level I. I was thinking of signing up for the june test but don't know if i have enough time to study. also do you think that most people fail because they 1. the material is just that difficult or 2. because they were unprepared. I consider myself fairly intelligent but something about a 39% pass rate scares me.

Best Response

ke18sb,

i have only passed level one so my comments apply to this level.

you can study/pass while working more than 70 hours per week. obviously, you will need to compromise your free time to some extent. remember, it is designed as self study for people who are working in the industry.

your best bet is to start reading early and start taking progress tests early as well. june 2007 is doable in this time frame if you are serious.

you need to study the material and understand it. if you have an IB or equity research background level one should cover a lot of similar material. the benefit of having relevant work experience is that you will have developed a fuller understanding of the concepts tested.

i found that while my academic backgroud helped because i didn't have to re-learn some concepts, i benefited more from having applied some of the concepts at work. the questions aren't straight forward, plug numbers in to your formula & 12c and that's it. rather, they will ask things in a more sublte way.

i think that most people fail because they are unprepared. the material is broad, which is one of the good things about the programme.

don't worry about the pass rate. the exam tests your knowledge. if you know your stuff and have decent exam technique then the pass rate is irrelevant. these aren't PE apps. the guy from HBS/GS isn't going to take your place.

It is not "technically" hard. Not advanced concepts at all.

I don't mean to say that it is a breeze to pass. Still have to review/memorize all the material, and it is very broad.

The problem is, to any question there is a right answer, a wrong answer, and a "CFA answer". Therefore, definitely need to at least review all the material. The leaning objectives are pretty specific.

Whoever said it's not about memorization...right. How many formulas did you have to memorize for L1 ?

hardly any formulas to memorise for level one. things like the ddm, capm and wacc you should understand and know. same thing with how accounting ratios fit in with one another dupont ratio. I'll elaborate a little below:

let's look at the accounting ratios that comprise ROE first: Return on average equity: Net income/sales * sales/average assets * average assets/average equity

Instead of memorizing, you need to understand that the return on equity is comprised of the margin on the stuff that you sell, the rate at which you sell the stuff that you make, the ratio of your equity investment to the stuff that you make.

Once you understand this, then you don’t need to memorize anything. You understand that you can increase your return on equity by, having more profit per item sold (through lowering your cost/increasing your price), by increasing sales velocity (selling more stuff quicker), or by using less equity (i.e. more debt, taking more financial risk). You also have an understanding of how to measure the effects of these variables and see to what extent all these changes have a + or – effect on ROE, i.e. that a company could have decreasing margins, lower asset turnover, but still manage to have a higher return on equity because they are using leverage (taking on more financial risk). This is the kind of understanding that they test.

The same can be said for the formulae for equity analysis and capital budgeting (DDM, CAPM, WACC, etc…). the dcf stuff is similar as well. once you understand the underlying concept, you don't need to memorise the various letters. e.g. in DDM, that the price of a stock is based on the dividends paid in the future, how risky these dividends are and how fast these dividends grow. dig deeper, and you see that the dividends paid are based on the earning and the pay out ratios. suddenly you can link pe ratios with the ddm. the same can be said for capm and wacc.

my point is that once you understand the reality/theory that these models and formulae are trying to describe you won't need to memorise them and recite them over and over to yourself like a bad poem you are trying to learn.

Perhaps the quant section has a little more formulae memorizing, but understanding the concepts can help there as well.

that's just my take on things from level 1.

I'm not saying memorization = you don't need to understand what you are studying. Many questions are put in some sort of tricky way, you do have to actually understand most of the material (IMO, especially the FSA part).

I'm not even saying that saying that a major portion of the exam is based on memorization. What I'm saying is, there is a still a lot of it. Come on, who needs to know about Roy's safety first ratio, or Chybishev (however it's spelled) inequality. Yet this random BS is still LOS material.

And I maintain my point, the material is still not hard to understand if you manage to put in the proper time. The difficulty is finding the time/motivation to study stuff you 80% already know, except you have to learn it the "CFA way".

Nam quo sunt totam dolorum minima. Ex rem quis ut quia est dignissimos.

Ad iusto iure sit rerum hic nihil necessitatibus. Minima non et et vero nam.

Non sed consequatur eum voluptatum reiciendis. Recusandae distinctio expedita a rem adipisci omnis. Tempora pariatur hic quasi aut. Natus consectetur accusamus est tempore reprehenderit aut sit. Accusantium aliquid consectetur iusto ratione. Dolorem totam rerum et architecto et voluptatem et.

Quam et quia harum dolores. Illum sunt harum culpa error beatae minus commodi. Nemo libero expedita beatae aut facilis. Est ex sunt incidunt eligendi. Aut quisquam occaecati ratione aut esse. Quod non ut ut tempore et et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”