Difference between a 720 and a 750+ GMAT

I am starting to think about who my competition is for the Wharton interviews for round 1. I am reading GMAT club forums and I am seeing a whole lot of 750+ scores while I only have a 720 (median for wharton). My GPA was only a 2.9. I mentioned on other posts my stats, but I am not really asking for the "what are my chances" assessment--I am just curious if adcoms look at a 720 similarly to a 750, or if there is a major difference in perception.

[Comment removed by mod team]

If a program has a high GPA average and you come in with a lower score they have to admit someone with a higher GMAT to offset your lower score. Intellectually I don't think there is a difference between scores, but if you can score at the program average or higher it will only benefit you.

Gecko,

I had a similar situation to yours - crap UG GPA but 760 GMAT. I spoke to a friend of the wife's who went to Columbia B-school and another who used to be on the admissions committee. I do think that all things being equal, a slightly higher GMAT won't get you into a program by itself.

It is however a "mental barrier". Above 750 is that magic sweetspot for some people (mentally), but from what I've been told the difference between 720 and 750 isn't enough to make or break an app. Adcom might look at a 720 and not flinch, but if they see above 750 they might say "hmm...OK" and nothing more. The GMAT will just confirm their assessment of your analytical and intellectual fortitude, but it may not necessary DRIVE their assessment.

Long story short, can't worry about it now - not really enough of an issue to worry about it. Just do your best on the interview and convey passion. I assume you got an invite? I haven't gotten shit in R1...nothing from Columbia, H or S. R2 I'll apply W/K/Chi/MIT? Good luck...

I think you'll be fine. Do realise that a lot of folks in the GMAT forums are Indian IT workers (at least that's the perception I have) and these guys tend to score very very high in the test. The demographics group you're competing with will be closer to the Wharton median, so focus on impressing the interviewer now.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Wouldnt necessarily say that the playing field is even at this point. Most adcomm interviews can only hurt, not help you. At the end of the day, the interview is just another data point to be judged against a more competitive sub-set of the original applicant pool.

Your 720 is solid and should be a check the box. Obviously, your weak GPA is a red flag but without knowing your school, major, ext circumstances its tough to comment further. As long as you can clearly articulate your goals and reasons for wanting to attend Wharton you should be ok. Best of luck to you.

I got less than a 750 on my GMAT and am interviewing for Wharton too with no plans to re-take GMAT. We can't both be wrong! That would be a complete injustice to WallStreetOasis and everything the WSO community has to stand for (including Aleksey Vayner).

​* http://www.linkedin.com/in/numicareerconsulting

FutureBanker09:
Yeah that does, for the record, I got a 730, and if I do decide to get an MBA, I have every intention of retaking and getting a 760+. It will help for at least scholarship offers.

This statement kind of answers the OP's question. For getting in, there isn't much difference between a 720 and a 780. For getting in with a scholarship, there is likely a significant difference between the two scores.

I got a 740, and I'm thinking about taking a gmat prep class in order to push my score up to the high 700's b/c business school is expensive.

Blanditiis blanditiis sit sequi ex repellendus ut temporibus dolor. Reprehenderit deleniti facilis magni. Repellendus dolorem voluptas dolor rerum et beatae qui. Quia animi quod vel unde totam. Ut ut quisquam neque illo officia veritatis consectetur. Et sunt est inventore soluta alias inventore. Iure qui perspiciatis amet et magnam iure.

Ex fuga enim exercitationem autem aut. Dicta molestiae aut quo odio ut ullam. Eum autem rerum pariatur. Accusantium dolores dolorem alias sit qui. Sunt incidunt soluta cum nobis. Eius veritatis ipsum dolorem pariatur expedita sed perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”