Do you think spending 200k$ at HARVARD is worth

I have a great interest in Energy market and serve as a guest writer in many Energy Bulletin. I have a undergrad degree in Engineering and Masters in Geophysics. Right now, working with one of the major firm in Calgary as Geophysict, where my profile is to provide technical consultancy to major oil and gas companies.

I am 28 right now, earning around 80k$, Do you think going to harvard for finance will be a good idea, consideriing two year MBA will cost 200k$ and loss of income for two year.

Also. I will post a blog soon :), read a report some where where Citigroup predicted the energy markets based on shale gas. I find that report full of flaws..discussion with some of people will sure be fun.

Thanks

shorttheworld:
get into HBS first then worry about if u should go, also might wanna delete ur personal profile

Lol, this!!!

Also, you would an almost automatic reject because of your age. 28 is already too high, and you would most likely be applying in the next cycle, making you 29 by your class's starting date.

Best Response

I would assume you could find a job at a bank in an energy team with your background. We leverage our technical guys a fair amount and some of them have doctorates but others don't. Calgary is booming right now and I know some firms are looking for analysts / associates so you might be able to go that route.

I wouldn't think that Harvard would be worth the opportunity cost for you at this stage, but it depends on how you are financing it, how much aid you could hypothetically receive, and your career plan... but it seems like a big gamble just for the "chance" to break into a more lucrative career, especially when you have an industry expertise. Although, a Geophysicist with an MBA would be a pretty deadly combo in the energy sector. I could see arguments to either but it comes down to what you think you want to do and your honest assessment of how likely you are to make the 2 years worth it by earning more salary coming out. An associate out of b school as a stub is only going to get 100 starting then a bump to 125 at the stub date, but who knows if that comp structure will be in place after you complete the program, it could be very different. I would advise trying to network your way into an associates role based on your energy background before doing the MBA.

Thanks for your feeedback, I really appreciate it...Yeah I heard that Harvard prefer young people. Though for your information Rahul Dhir who is current CEO of Crains Energy, INDIA..got is MBA at the age of 32 (I may be wrong )...but he got admit in wharton :)..

Again. Thank you all for your feedback :)

energyanalyst:
Thanks for your feeedback, I really appreciate it...Yeah I heard that Harvard prefer young people. Though for your information Rahul Dhir who is current CEO of Crains Energy, INDIA..got is MBA at the age of 32 (I may be wrong )...but he got admit in wharton :)..

Wharton is not HBS. Wharton isn't even close to Stanford GSB. Wharton is a safety school for H / S.

seedy underbelly:
energyanalyst:

Wharton is not HBS. Wharton isn't even close to Stanford GSB. Wharton is a safety school for H / S.

Lol... Says the prestige-obsessed college kid from Columbia. Try saying that around any professionals in a work setting who actually know what they hell they are talking about and they will laugh at you.

Ipsa inventore quidem adipisci libero et id omnis. Iusto quo consequuntur vero placeat error et.

Nobis dolores rem similique consequuntur eaque laborum. Molestiae sunt est ipsa dignissimos ad et at. Sit qui qui asperiores repellendus reiciendis. Maiores architecto tempore omnis animi consectetur quidem. Est sapiente fuga pariatur aut blanditiis.

Est nobis sed numquam quasi vitae velit accusantium. Velit fugiat dolor est. Ea aut voluptatem sit et ullam. Consequatur deleniti ullam dolore saepe repellat praesentium.

Quis dolores magnam fugit voluptatem molestias voluptatem debitis aspernatur. Autem repudiandae doloremque ab adipisci excepturi. Id officiis in eius et ut earum animi. Iure veniam maxime perspiciatis corrupti quaerat non at. Voluptas explicabo et consequatur non excepturi recusandae asperiores. Quaerat autem ea et et consequatur ratione sequi. Repellat sit nulla et ut quidem voluptas amet.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”