Econ Consulting or F500 for MBB FT Recruiting?

I'm wondering what would best position me for MBB FT recruiting. I am deciding between offers at a blue chip F200 firm (in their strategic finance dpt) and at a top econ consulting firm (think AG/Cornerstone/NERA/Bates White). I'm at a target west coast school.

It seems like the consensus on the forum is that F500 will position you well for FT recruiting because of its big brand name. but I see it as inherently disadvantageous to econ consulting in some respects because of its higher variance for return offers and (generally) lower pay. Thinking about b-school down the road, it also might be better to be in econ consulting, assuming I get no offers for MBB.

Any thoughts?

Best Response

To offer a differing opinion, if your goal is MBB I would go with blue chip F200.

In my opinion Econ consulting is actually very different from management consulting. Without delving too deep, Econ consultants generally travel alot less, work alot more with statistical models, and really need to tackle why something happens.

In short, Econ consulting is not "business". You don't tackle the same problems, and if business or management is your future goal and what you enjoy, you could find Econ consulting really frustrating.

For that reason I think the F200 will give you direct business experience and help you understand how certain levers in a business work, rather than honing your regression modeling and data skills. I think the F200 would be better prep for an MBB career.

From a recruiting perspective, I honestly don't know how an Econ consulting firm would look to recruiters, but I think F200 is usually a really good sign to MBB recruiters.

Even though these are just internships, I think you should take some time and think about which career path you would prefer.

Thanks for the perspective. I understand the general merits of each path, I think the important thing for me is understand the recruiting perspective. All else being equal I'd probably take the econ consulting gig because it's more aligned with my interests and has great bschool placements. but if F200 outweighed econ consulting in the recruiting dpt I'd probably take that

I don't have experience in management consulting, but I currently do work in economic consulting. I have to second the post about economic consulting being different from management consulting - econ consulting is research related to economic/financial disputes arising in litigation. Depending on the practice group, some specific accounting/finance knowledge may come in handy, but it's not a "business" oriented industry.

That being said, both internship experiences sound great. If you're eager to get consulting experience, econ consulting is still consulting, albeit different. If you're trying to choose the internship that's most relevant between the two for management consulting, it would likely be the F200 one. Think about which experience seems most exciting and rewarding to you and go with that.

Do you think you have a very good shot at MBB with your school/gpa? if not I have friends who did econ consulting who really enjoyed it, got paid well, and said everyone in their firm who wants MBA business schools">m7 gets it pretty much. If you're currently at a non target or have a bad gpa or something could always consider econ consulting (stay if you like) -> top bschool -> mbb with a little less junior grunt work

Nemo odio voluptates eos vel. Omnis qui reiciendis tempora accusamus impedit. Ut provident voluptas quibusdam consectetur modi excepturi accusantium. Eos sit suscipit earum qui vel voluptatum. Ea dolorem atque debitis voluptatum inventore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”