Starting a Certified User Thread to find out from those who are established in their career to share perspective on Establishing Executive Presence.
As an example, I am in a new role where I am to convey our firm's point of view on the state of the industry to C-Level executives. In my previous role, my presentations were either solution sales or technical deep dives to educate mass audiences. In a solution sales presentation, you've got to make the technical sizzle and there's a distinct climax during the presentation. For technical deep dives, it's all about structuring a lecture and making sure that you've got all line of questions covered. The persona for solutions sales is all about character. The persona for technical deep dives is academic in nature.
But for "Establishing Executive Presence", how do you go about developing this persona? How would you go about refining this polish? What intangibles do you consider important?
Aspects of my presentation style that I've started to work on during presentations:
- Cadence -- Working on slowing down my speech, taking strategic pauses. I spend a lot more time on speech preparation now because I now need that extra monitor on slowing down, breathing and pausing. I'll have to continue to do this until it becomes second nature.
- Style -- No longer selling or lecturing, but now leading an open-dialog while conveying "thought-leadership". This format was very difficult for me to understand because I've always viewed it as bullshit, but you're trying to condense a macro-company story into 30 minutes while tailoring it to relevance. The hardest part is the open-dialogue, but I'm working on a strategy on how to perfectly position pauses to evoke engagement.
General Executive Presence:
- Where early in your career you were best to suppress your personality, it's advantageous at this level to start pushing a measured amount of personality to set culture without being overly polarizing.
So when left to your own devices to sharpen this character, what do you think matters and how do you go about polishing that attribute?
Consulting Case Interview Course
- 2,037 questions across 209 consulting firms. Crowdsourced from over 600,000 members.
- 11 Detailed Exclusive Cases developed by a McKinsey Associate and 10+ hours of video.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring consultants just like you.