This website is one of the worst I've seen for rankings. They are so biased against the US schools that everyone knows are good. They are clearly ranking in a niche just to get website views from people that don't know any better and think GW is better than MIT.

Screw rankings!!!!

Do you think people look at your resume and say: "Ohhh, better pull out the FT/Economist/BusWk/(Fill in Blank of your favorite publication) and see where this school is ranked" or "Ohhh...MIT isn't ranked by the FT, trash this guy's resume who went there!!"

I have said it before, all that matters is whether where you want to work recruits and hires there.

I am just putting up a post on my site about this. Most US programs are excluded because of their criteria to be considered. This will change in 3-5 years.

No, this list is not comprehensive and not very valuable for US students. The FT also weights a classrooms ratio of men to women which is largely irrelevant and useless when considering the quality of a program.

With that said, it is still a good first step and adds much needed viability to the MSF degree. It also gives other publications with a wider readership in the US a reason to start their own ranking.

I really avoid ranking conversations because they do not translate well. Unlike MBA programs, the MSF is largely regional, like lower ranked MBA programs would be. With exception of say MIT or possibly UTA (even UTA is very regional) most MSF programs place in a two city radius.

So suppose you want to work in Boston, but Vanderbilt is higher ranked. You wouldn't choose Vanderbilt over BC, for example, regardless of the ranking because Vanderbilt really isn't well known in the Boston area. If you want to work in California I wouldn't choose any program over Claremont, etc.

So until enough top tier universities offer the MSF any ranking will be biased or not truly helpful.

I will say this. The FT rankings are bogus unless you are considering UK schools. Not enough US programs are listed on the FT ranking to give it validity and I have an issue with what they use to weigh programs. In the US you will almost never see an MSF with 1:1 male to female ratio.

Using placement and job data is also hard. I'd suggest using placements 6 months to a year out. In top MBA programs you have less of an issue with placements improperly representing a program because people are professional and serious about their careers. Therefore % placed and salary data is a good element to compare programs.

With the MSF you have a large amount of UG->MS students who sometimes lack direction, job experience or quite frankly, maturity. These students will drive down placement scores when in fact a school might provide strong OCR as well as alumni and a great educational program.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Best Response

A quisquam quidem nisi facere omnis culpa velit. Tempore ab ducimus quia neque. Nihil voluptas voluptas rem et debitis perferendis voluptatum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”