GE's FMP in 2017

In exploring this forum I've seen a lot of praise for GE's FMP and seemingly a general consensus that it's the top financial leadership development program. However the most recent posts I've seen about it are from 2013 and GE has obviously suffered a lot since then. Have GE's woes affected the quality or reputation of its FMP?

Have a buddy doing FMP now, he enjoys it, he's second rotation and first rotation was more FP&A/finance type stuff while his second rotation is a little more accounting type work. Still a great feeder into GE Audit services, which is apparently 100k+ per year and you do a few years and then can move into leading a smaller division, so I'd say the opportunity is still very solid

Best Response

GE is struggling badly if you want to go into corporate or transactional finance. Capital only has 3.5 remaining segments (down from 28 in 2015). However, if you can do 2 years FMP, then 2+ years CAS, it will be very professionally rewarding.

Problem is non FP&A/Audit exit ops. If you want to go to grad school or stay at GE doing FP&A or ops risk at a location of THEIR choosing, you'll be ok. Anything else, it will be tough. Some CAS superstars go to McKinsey as associates or join Blackstone's back office/pe training program. It's rare, but the program is PHENOMENAL prep.

BB or MBB would be better. If those aren't options, bust your ass at GE and do CAS. CAS Base comp is like 80 year 1, 90 year 2, and 110 year 3. You don't pay for ANYTHING and if you 'live' in Florida/Texas/Nevada/Washington, you pay no state income tax. Your take home pay is higher than BBer in NYC who makes 130k.

I'm not sure. First, I'm sure it's dependent on the group/company/rotation you're doing. Second, I've heard hours are closer to, but not quite, Big 4 hours. So 50-70ish/week

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Places pretty well, although a lot depends on the candidate as you can probably imagine.

As a FMP, you're unique; you aren't the typical IB candidate. B Schools love the GE brand, although GE itself is strongly against MBAs as a path out of the company. They will pay for it if you go part time and sign on for a time commitment afterwards. (2 years per 1 year of B School; if you leave, you have to pay the difference)

In terms of kids leaving the program, I know kids personally who have gone to Harvard and Columbia. I also know part time people in NYU and Kellogg.

Hope that helps.

OP - I think they might be finished recruiting for internships by now although you may be able to luck out if you can secure a fast-track treatment through an alumni etc. Check LinkedIn and filter for both GE and your school.

frgna:
Going to totally hijack but I've always been curious how well FMP places into business schools - does anyone know?
I know of two people going to top b-schools after they finish their last rotation as FMPs at GE. One is headed to Wharton and another (my buddy) is going to Tuck. They seem to place well outside of the company as well; four FMPs were recruited to Blackstone from GE Capital program last year from what I understand.
Impossible is nothing

I don't know if they will interview anyone else. You should probably still apply. But there have already been a lot of first round interviews and I'm just telling you that I wouldn't hold my breathe.

No, GE does not come on campus but I do have some alumni contacts who went through the FMP program and are currently in CAS. I just want to make sure that I don't miss a deadline while conversing back and forth with them.

You will have interviews with staff from all levels of the corporate hierarchy.

When I interviewed, the process was: facility tour / meet & greet...interview 1, interview 2, case study / excel test, lunch...interview 3, interview 4, then interview 5.

Some years they replace the case study and excel test with a presentation.

IBTeaching - pm'd you. The address that I have is for a different city in CT.

The agenda doesn't list anything about an excel test or case study but there is a presentation given by Capital prior to the interviews - maybe that replaced it? The interview time slot is only only an hour and a half so seems odd that they'd only have one or two interviews in order to make time for those things.

Impossible is nothing

I am also scheduled to take part in an upcoming assessment centre for GE FMP based out of EMEA. In the mail, I have been told that the assessment day would comprise of group case studies, finance/IQ quiz and a set of interviews.

Does anyone know what could be the nature of this group case studies. So far, I have only been taking part in IB related ACs therefore I have little idea of what to expect for a GE FMP case study.

In addition, considering that FMP is far more accounting oreinted than finance yet they would be conducting a finance quiz. Could anyone shed light on this as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you had taken 30 seconds to Google it, you would know you've missed the deadline.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

hopingtobreakin:
No offense but if you don't have access to OCR - you don't have access to this job.

Not 100% true... but probably 99%+

therock555:
Thanks for the help everyone. I just applied and had an alum refer me internally so I'm hoping it works out! If anyone could whose actually done a summer FMP internship could chim in about how it's like and such, that'd be great.

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/the-truth-about-ges-fmp-its-accou…

Omnis dolorem ut officia assumenda. Modi voluptatem assumenda nostrum numquam. Sunt quae corporis quidem asperiores molestiae. Illo ipsa accusantium et laboriosam. Eum quasi quas enim est.

Est qui est nobis assumenda laboriosam neque. Non voluptas qui cupiditate itaque minima. Debitis quidem porro consequatur iure natus. Sint rerum ratione rem. Odio sapiente ut consectetur aperiam. Facere quam ut et dolores. Qui omnis sit reprehenderit facilis voluptates sed.

Animi quas aut natus magnam dolorem quis. Itaque nihil doloribus libero fugit eum numquam. Ut error nihil esse est eum ut. Eius iste rerum laboriosam qui perspiciatis dicta sint.

Alias sequi non et sequi corrupti veritatis corporis. Neque dolore minima ut velit rerum consequatur est consequatur. Molestiae nemo non voluptatem quis ut veritatis libero ducimus. Omnis minima voluptatem ad reprehenderit est. Voluptatum voluptatem dicta vero eligendi maiores fuga id. In omnis similique explicabo voluptatem repellat dolorum veritatis soluta. Suscipit sed cupiditate voluptatem maiores ab voluptas aliquid.

Quia natus amet beatae vero dolorem. Ex unde cum nihil fuga quia.

Quo nesciunt in et omnis iste voluptate est. Sint accusamus voluptatem necessitatibus.

Accusamus quisquam doloribus magnam. Rerum iusto facere et excepturi commodi facere.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”