How hard is it to get into MM IB M&A summer analyst position with a 3.65 GPA from a non-target? (Have finance experience)

So I'm currently a junior at a non-target, want to go into IB. I'll be doing my second co-op at a small advisory firm. Will be working as a financial analyst, so I clearly have some work experience in Finance. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to get into a MM or boutique firm with my credentials? I'm also part of the school's finance and investment club, the school's political club, and am a tour guide

Best Response

Non-target here with similar stats, broke into IB. Stats arent the problem, you need to network. Theres plenty of guides here on how to do that. From a non-target your chances are slim of getting into IB from the firms career page

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask how you did your networking? As in, who did you network to and did you mostly reach out to BB or MM/Boutiques? Also, did you have to attend any conferences/networking sessions? Or was it mostly through cold calling/email?

Thanks again.

Networking will make you or break you.

Find out if there are any alumni from your school working at a MM in IB. Reach out to them. I advise trying to figure out their firm's email syntax and emailing them, don't PM on Linkedin (apparently bankers hate this, think its lazy).

Most people will be happy to meet for coffee. Just be a likeable person and they'll refer you to someone they work with ... and thats how you build your network. Next think you know, when recruiting season kicks off and you submit your resume, you've got 2-3 people rooting for you.

I had very similar credentials (same GPA, couple of finance internships) and got at FT MM IB offer through networking. If you're a junior you're in good shape - I networked all summer after junior year and landed interviews (though FT recruiting is way more competitive than SA).

Just reach out with a brief introduction (Mr. / Ms. for VP and above, first names for analysts / associates), "I'm interested in learning more about your time at school, your current role, and Firm". I found the most efficient method (which was still horribly tedious) was to have an email template you can cut and paste, and alter parts of it slightly to make it relevant to whoever you're emailing to get their attention.

Then on the phone, introduce yourself, touch on your path & experiences, explain your interest in IB (your "why IB" story in short form), and then have a series of questions prepared. I had a document of questions I would pull from that were applicable to most people I was speaking with, and I would spend 5-10 minutes reviewing their linkedin or other sources to come up with specific and tailored questions. Let them do a lot of the talking, and be as personable as possible because, ultimately, you want them to like you.

PM me if you want to know anything else.

Nesciunt aut nihil omnis expedita. Quia cumque sed quo adipisci sed itaque.

Et inventore tenetur corrupti ipsum ex. Et eaque ullam error velit deleniti quidem. Sint architecto sequi amet molestiae. Et qui optio qui molestiae. Molestiae sit voluptate voluptas maxime aspernatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”