How many months until BB SA 2018 recruitment?

For current Sophomores looking to land a BB IBD Summer Analyst position for Summer 2018, we have less than 4 months until applications open up in August/September and recruitment starts.

Where do we currently see ourselves, and what are we planning on doing this summer to boost our odds during recruitment?

For me:
-3.54 GPA at non-target (Finance Club, Emerging Markets Club)
-Freshman Summer: summer study abroad at LSE
-Sophomore Fall: economic research internship at niche consulting firm
-Sophomore Spring: internship at PE Search Fund
-Sophomore Summer/Junior Fall (planned): Corporate Investor Relations Department at a top-3 (public) Asset Manager
-Junior Fall (planned): starting a Valuation club with some friends to follow along with Aswath Damodaran's online Valuation course and learn DCF analysis/practice valuing different businesses

*Also planning on taking a networking trip to NYC this summer and hoping to meet around ~10 junior bankers (Alums) for coffee/advice

Would love to hear everyone's plans to best position themselves for IBD SA recruitment this fall, and welcome any thoughts/opinions on my own plan!

(Any input regarding past application timelines would be appreciated)

Just a tip, because I did a NY networking trip last year too -- you should do a Lot more than 10 visits if you're doing it over the summer instead of a weekend, and you should meet with people higher up the chain than junior bankers. I've met people who would do 8-9 visits with people a day, all from different groups/banks (so they couldn't all coordinate and make their transits easier). Personally, I did about 15 visits over 3 days, and only 3 were with alumni because my non-target has very few people in FO roles in NY (or anywhere). How many days are you making your trip?

Thanks for the heads up. I could only find junior bankers using the Linkedin Alumni feature (my non-target was pretty terrible until very recently). Anyway, my family is now living in Manhattan, so even though I'll be interning in Boston this summer, I'm going to come down for a few weekend trips. I suppose if I start reaching out to MD's for coffee visits, I can try and have between 15-20 meetings throughout the Summer.

I'm only hesitant about reaching out to strangers because while I've had a very positive response rate contacting Alums, I'm not sure what incentive these guys would have to respond/meet/help me out. Any thoughts on this?

Best Response

People will talk to you and help you out for any number of reasons, I know that's why I was helped out. Among the reasons I've been given:

• They liked the same pro football team I do
  • They liked a niche hobby on my resume
  • They saw that I worked a really grueling/stressful job before I got relevant experience
  • Their college was in the same Power 5 football conference as me
  • They felt bad for me coming out of my school (ultra non-target)
  • I was already in NY and they just wanted a reason to step out and get coffee.
  • They just really liked mentoring people
  • They went to college in my home state

Now, I have to note, I cleared the hurdles for smarts too -- 95%+ ACT/SAT, 3.7+ GPA. A few people have told me that if it wasn't for my academic stats, they wouldn't have bothered talking to someone from my school anyways. So if you're coming from a real nontarget, I'd try to get your GPA up too.

Guess different BBs are having different resume drop dates. A top BB told us last week that they will accept resumes starting late May with a late August deadline. Also said earlier the better since they will start conducting first rounds before the deadline. This is at a non-target (send 15ish to BB each year at a small liberal arts college) btw so it might be different.

Yeah, all the reps I've spoken with have said this is the earliest they've ever done recruting. Off the top of my head, the banks that have visited: BBs: GS, Citi, JPM, MS, and BAML Boutiques: Evercore, Moelis, Jeffries, Guggenheim, BMO, RBC, Centerhill, and Nomura

GS has started some interviews already for us (ridiculous considering we haven't even started our internships for this year!)

Edit: Apologies, Centerhill isn't a thing. I didn't go to either Greenhill or Centerview's events, and merged them in my head while typing.

Man this is insane that recruiting is starting so early. A couple questions for anyone who can answer:

1. Let's say you submit your resume now, will be doing an internship this summer with a good brand name, do you include it on your resume? You can't really put any info because you haven't done anything yet, but you want that name on your resume right? What do you guys put?

2. When you do these recruiting trips to NY, how's the response rate from networking? Is it people you had already spoken to before and are contacting for the 2nd/3rd time for coffee or do you just cold-email and say you'll be in NY?

Thanks!

What I did was just put it first in my experience section, they can see the date clearly listed there and that I haven't started it yet. As for bullet points, since I haven't done anything yet, I just listed the division I'm in and the 3 rotations I'll be doing. But by the time I interview I will have completed it so I'll be able to talk much more in depth about it.

Since Recruiting seems to be incredibly fast paced and accelerated, what should us non-targets do? My assumption is to start networking like crazy right now? And follow Sil 's networking guide, but at an earlier pace?

My plan was to keep building a network, meeting them for coffee, and then around August/September start asking them that "what can I do to position myself for an internship interview" question. Should I instead start asking my already contacts that question around May/June (now)? How would that work with the contacts I am just starting to call, and haven't even met yet?

Any help is appreciated.

Necessitatibus illo id animi. Incidunt est facilis autem. Magnam minima facilis officiis minima sint tempore eos. Temporibus accusamus magni odit id similique molestias et.

Dolorem at eveniet non officiis. Maxime et quia consequuntur ipsa distinctio modi sequi iusto. Rerum inventore temporibus vitae quia perferendis. Dolores aspernatur eum totam ipsum dolorum maxime quia.

Ratione quis odio repudiandae dolorem. Sequi deserunt et laborum totam labore. Sed tenetur aspernatur unde earum perspiciatis. Explicabo est magni animi fugiat quibusdam qui molestias. Consequuntur non dolorem quis quia tempore.

Rerum eum ut aliquam voluptas repudiandae. Magni illum ea sunt voluptatem. Dolorum hic ut doloribus ut. Eveniet quia ut ipsa molestiae.

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

Qui sit voluptas neque doloribus eum architecto. Consequuntur sed quis natus doloremque consequuntur velit quas corrupti. Doloremque nam eum sunt vel.

Quae doloribus repellendus distinctio illum aut ut qui. Hic dolor omnis iste quibusdam expedita dolorem odio. Ut et laboriosam rerum doloribus. Hic enim voluptas mollitia. Amet neque dolores voluptates numquam. Reiciendis veniam animi esse mollitia mollitia odit alias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”