I'm at a non target and a junior accounting major. I have received good grades in business courses, but along the way I had some hardships which my GPA is a 3.33 before the recent semester. I had a internship doing sales and marketing and I also have good extra curricular activities .
Help! I Had a Bad Semester in Undergrad
This semester was a disaster due to:
- Too many extracurricular activities
- Officer role in Finance Club
- Working as a tutor
- Participating in school athletics
- Difficult schedule
The result of this semester was receiving mostly B's in my coursework and then 1 A/A-. Not only that happened, I received a D in a major course, which is intermediate accounting and I plan to retake it next semester. My GPA went down to about mid 3.2 or above.
Has anyone who got accepted to Master of Finance programs got low GPAs or got failing grades?
How to Recover from or Explain a Bad Grade
The impact of a D in college depends on many factors including what class it was in, what your career goals are, etc. Here are some ways to recover from or explain a bad grade.
- Retake the course and explain the D if it comes up
- Make sure your explanation for the bad grade doesn't come across as whining
- Explain what you did to improve your grades going forward
- Withdraw from the class if you think you are going to fail or get a bad grade
- Adjust future course selection to help boost your GPA
- Consider dropping some of the extracurricular activities to focus on your studies
- Include both Major GPA and Cumulative GPA on your resume
- 10 Tips to Maximize Your GPA
- AMA: I Got Into Two T10 MBA Programs with a
- How I Get Top Grades in UG
- Do the BBs Check Your College Transcripts for Your GPA to Make Sure You Aren't Lying?
Looking for guidance for your future career?
With a network of more than 200 mentors, WSO's Mentor Service can help increase your chance of landing a job by over 12x. Our mentors are top employees at the most selective firms. Find your mentor today.