Yeah, I agree that the probability of you being a Quant is likely close to 0%, but that shouldn't discourage you from pursuing other careers that have a heavy emphasis on math. The SAT is important, but it shouldn't define who you are or what you want to do for the rest of your life... all of this is within reason though as being a Quant is likely improbable.

What is? That contractors make a lot of money? I work with a lot of contractors and the 80/20 rule very much applies. A buddy of mine owns a plumbing company actually at age 28 making mid 6 figures currently. Most contractors are fucking idiot losers who owe child support and cancel plans and cuss in front of tenants and smell like cigarettes. But the smart ones who know how to hustle learn their trades inside and out, make relationships with vendors, and start their own businesses. They make really good money. You ever have an A/C unit break in the middle of July?

A lot are also scheisters. My in-laws just bought a condo and they had TWO contractors in a row try to sell them brand new HVAC systems for over $10k before I found out about it and sent my guy to replace the fucking Freon. My father-in-law is like 85 and my mother-in-law is an adult child less than half his age and they had no problem preying on them.

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

Best Response

Not saying you can't do it, we all have the ability to create our own fate in life regardless of circumstance. However, I question being a quant in general.

Almost all quants I know loved math, and would practice with numbers all day long. They viewed the world in numbers, but never had the intention of being a quant in high finance. Most I've met loved mathematics and found the pay to better in finance than other industries / engineering firms. However, Math was the impetus.

I personally admired incredibly smart people (genius level intelligence) and always wanted to be one. I even felt incomplete when I didn't do as well as other in mathematics going through school. I was never the greatest mathematician (no dummy by any means) but found that I had a greater knack for solving problems in a diplomatic manner than predicting the United States GDP in 10 years.

I still use my amateur mathematical skills in investment banking, but rely more on my character, diplomacy, and problem solving ability to bring value in situations. This by no intention makes me unfit for finance, if anything I think it gives me my own value. In the future, instead of creating an algorithm for High Frequency Trading, one day I'll be in a room negotiating contracts which enable quants to do their jobs.

To reference other points on the thread, automation could one day make predictive analytics a thing of the past... However, it will be years before Siri posesses the ability to correctly read someone's emotions across the table. That is why people like me will always have value.

Also, have you ever seen a quant leading a negotiation or board meeting? I haven't...

"A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself."

If you're not gifted with math, or at least have a fairly quantitative mind, you're going to find this very hard to do.

The reply above nails it. You are free to try, maybe you just need to study more. But don't force it to the point where you throw away an otherwise promising career trying to chase after something that probably isn't going to work out very well. Take an inventory of your skills, figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are. Figure out a career that plays to your strengths, you can still work on your weaknesses and try to leverage those areas later on if you're successful in changing them into strengths.

"When you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead."

He actually placed second in that math competition.

When a plumber from Hoboken tells you he has a good feeling about a reverse iron condor spread on the Japanese Yen, you really have no choice. If you don’t do it to him, somebody else surely will. -Eddie B.

Qui omnis beatae quia quia et distinctio aspernatur. Eum animi aperiam sunt saepe. Quo aut et maxime similique assumenda minima.

Cum rerum quibusdam atque inventore. Et natus sit nesciunt id ut. Perspiciatis porro qui nobis et inventore similique non. Consequuntur sint sed non consequatur.

Iure officia laudantium quasi laborum laborum accusantium aut. Quis sed earum vel voluptatum suscipit quis. Impedit nemo vero repudiandae ad. Ratione sint beatae delectus et cupiditate quia voluptas. Similique non sunt corporis aliquam molestias. Et cum repellat voluptatem temporibus.

Et enim architecto non dolor. Aliquam eum itaque molestiae nihil. Autem consequatur tenetur accusamus velit. Explicabo ab inventore blanditiis sed aperiam. Sed ut consequatur aut qui praesentium. Asperiores hic dicta itaque nesciunt nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”