In the end, do you make more than $100 per hour?

After browsing through some of the salary information on Wall Street Oasis, I noticed that many positions had an exorbitant number of hours listed. I work for a large Investment Bank in midtown and I work 7 hours per day. Now one might argue that I don't bring home the "big bucks", but after you look at my calculations one might be forced to reconsider how much more they think they are making.

I guess what I want to say is, is it worth it? If you count up all the hours that you work per week, throw in an adjustment for overtime (time and a half for each over over 40 per week), and then crunch the numbers, do you make more or less than 100$ per hour?

Here is my methodology:

Take annual total compensation number: 100k base plus a 200k bonus
Divide by 12 to arrive to a monthly compensation value: 300k / 12 = 25k

Take hours worked per week: 70 hours
Adjust those hours to take into account overtime: 70 hours + ((70-40) * 0.5) = 70 + 15 = 85 hours
Calculate total hours worked in a 4 week month: 4 * 85 = 340

Divide total number of hours worked in a month by total compensation for that same month: 25k / 340 = $73.52

Optionally throw in an adjustment of 30% for the value of ones benefits: $73.52 * 1.3 = $95.57

Anyway, I have attached a picture with the results of some calculations.

This will give you a way to calculate if you make more or less than that construction worker outside that hits on every female that walks by him, and then ask yourself, what the hell are you working for? (And show your boss this chart while asking for a raise)

happypantsmcgee:
Why are you soliciting people for software development projects? Side project?

Okay, I removed what I do from my signature.

Do you have anything to say about my posting? I really want to help people understand exactly how much money they are making, and when they realize they are making less they should ask for raises...etc

WallStreetConsultant:
happypantsmcgee:
Why are you soliciting people for software development projects? Side project?

Okay, I removed what I do from my signature.

Do you have anything to say about my posting? I really want to help people understand exactly how much money they are making, and when they realize they are making less they should ask for raises...etc

Bro, I don't give a shit that you have that as your signature, I was just curious.

I make less 100 bucks an hour but I love my job, get paid well and don't have to do those nonsensical 100 hour weeks...or even 90 hour weeks.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Cool story, bro, but what do you want us to do? Quit our jobs and try to find some sort of construction or secretarial job where they'll let us work so many hours that we actually earn 200k+?

If an employee of mine were to show me this, I'd be happy to make him hourly and then send him home after 40 hours in one week. I'd then hire someone with some commitment to pick up his Thursdays through Sundays.

Coupla weeks of that ought to be enough to get the committed guy trained up as a full replacement.

I guess Investment Bankers don't really make more than 100$ per hour.

I was just saying, calculate it out so you know what you are worth...etc

As a computer programmer in the financial industry, whenever somebody asks me if I want "Contract" or "Full-Time", I convert a 100k salary into 72 $ per hour. So if a programmer can make 200k, that same programmer can make 144$ per hour. Of course, that 100k salary implies a 40 hour work week. So I presented a formula for converting a 100k salary based on the number of hours you work into an hourly rate.

Anyway, just saying. Given that Investment Bankers don't make as much as we really think they make, I don't want to switch over to the "other side"

Best Response
WallStreetConsultant:
I guess Investment Bankers don't really make more than 100$ per hour.

I was just saying, calculate it out so you know what you are worth...etc

As a computer programmer in the financial industry, whenever somebody asks me if I want "Contract" or "Full-Time", I convert a 100k salary into 72 $ per hour. So if a programmer can make 200k, that same programmer can make 144$ per hour. Of course, that 100k salary implies a 40 hour work week. So I presented a formula for converting a 100k salary based on the number of hours you work into an hourly rate.

Anyway, just saying. Given that Investment Bankers don't make as much as we really think they make, I don't want to switch over to the "other side"

Sounds like you should go post this in some developer forums. I don't think you'll get too many converts to computer programming using this argument because we're not shooting for $200k a year; that's just what we make on the way up.

I see your point and it's a fine one for people who want to do okay and not work too much. But last I checked, there weren't too many people making a quarter mil a year on an hourly basis. I know one guy who easily does $200 an hour as a contract programmer, and if he had that work 40 hours a week and 52 weeks a year, he'd blow me out of the water. Occasionally he tries to compare his current hourly rate with mine... and I say, "What's your three-year total," at which point he starts making excuses.

One point in his favor is that he's always available for partying at night and on weekends. That's because he has no more of that $200 an hour work to do. His comp model caps his hours and his pay pretty tightly. My caps on both are much higher.

End of the day: it's a matter of personal preference.

Suscipit doloribus et magnam. Ipsum ullam sequi deserunt consequuntur. Laborum et consequatur inventore aperiam voluptatem quod laborum suscipit. Rerum quia qui corrupti eum nihil commodi rem. Sint libero incidunt aut dicta officia rerum quis.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”