Is 240k all in for corporate dev/m&a good for an associate leaving IB?(NYC)

In house corporate m&a. Nyc based.

Seems depressing and a huge step down as a senior associate in IB (inflation is insane right now).  That nearly what first year analysts make now with the base increases.

Not sure what to think.  Is it better to try and move to something chill on the sell side (ecm etc)?

Is your group particularly bad? I’m a first year associate so it’s hard for me to gauge how I would feel after years of this, but I can’t see myself leaving because I can’t take a pay cut. 

I’m wondering if ECM even has that much better hours. Maybe now that SPACs are calming down I guess. 

My group has been bad. Everyone great left except our annoying vps and directors.  Literally no one else with more than 1 year experience outside me.

Damn dude, I feel like you shouldn’t be getting murdered like that as a senior associate. May be worth exploring other firms and speaking with ppl who you know will be honest with you about working conditions. Your VPs and whoever else have created a bad environment. Do you enjoy investment banking? 

Most Helpful

From 9 to 5pm I like it(srs)

5pm to 9pm i tolerate it

9pm to midnight I hate it

Midnight to 3am i want to die (not literally)

3am to 6am i dont buckle my seatbelt in the uber taking me home since I don't care if I die if it wrecks

~$240 all in is in the general ballpark of total comp you'd receive for your first full year on the desk. Obviously if you're going to industry you're taking a paycut - no way around that - so IDK if I'd be super disappointed with the corp dev comp package. Likely other subjective factors to consider as well (upward mobility, public vs private, stock comp vesting schedule, etc)

$240k is really good, especially for what sounds to be a non Tech industry. I would flag that in house M&A can vary from really slow to really busy, both can be a cure. Slow team makes days longer and busy work intolerable, busy team makes WLB shit and you'll wish you were a slave making IBD comp vs. slave making $240k

Definitely a step down from AS3 comp and depends how much lifestyle creep you allowed over the last few years. 

$240k for a manager title in corporate land outside of big tech / unicorns is solid - even above market considerably. Not sure how making nearly a quarter mil in your 20s with a low hours / non-client facing gig with less bullshit to deal with would make anybody depressed - get a reality check OP.

This is remarkably short sighted, and you'd gripe at this career trajectory if you were in the same juncture. $240k in your 20s sure is decent (btw idk what you think is “market” for Corp Dev is 240k is significantly above market), not nearly as great as stepping down from making $400k+ as an AS3, but better hours sure whatever. Now fast forward into your 40s where you're still basically making the same shit and have 2 kids to feed in NYC. It's a huge adjustment and paradigm shift and here you are telling him look it could be worse.Your reality check is akin to "oh there's starving kids in Africa?" Is it applicable? Sure - literally everything in this forum is 0.1% circle jerk bubble material, is it helpful? No.

You guys are out of touch man, like severely out of touch.

$240k is what a director who’s climbed up the corporate ladder for 12-15 years can expect to make outside tech. A kid in his 20s jumping into the same gig with half to less than half the experience is pretty fucking good in my book.

If OP wants to maximise income then they should stick to the usual suspect paths or go try out being an entrepreneur lifestyle / stress inclusive. 

Becoming “depressed” and complaining because you’re going from a high paying to a slightly less high paying but still high paying job is the height of self-delusion, entitlement and arrogance - no one cares how special you think you are editing PPT / XLS docs working as an assistant to some glorified realtor.

People in finance have some seriously messed up  self-images.

Alright then likely used the b-school reset?

Doesn’t change much though not like you can’t afford to raise a kid on nearly a quarter mil a year. 

You have to realise that compensation isn’t determined by your wants it’s determined by the market and business dynamics. If you want to stay flush, stay in banking but move group or hop to a buyside gig - BS and all that comes alongside with.

If not, can’t think of much worse than retaining relatively solid comp and a more manageable lifestyle where you get to actually see your kid grow up. Can always hop to tech in the same role after a year at this gig. Should be a +25-35% bump all-in. 

I'm bowing out. Always have to remember 80% of this site is folks under 23 who see $240k and think diamonds. I was exactly the same way when I was in college and I found out that after 2 years in banking you could get $250k in a buyside associate gig at General Atlantic and $300k at Eton Park at the time. I thought that was fucking amazing and insane. Literally thought I'd have so much money. 

$240k for a Manager in Corp Dev is very solid, especially if it's non-tech. Corp Dev will also certainly be more interesting than something like ecm/dcm for most people. 

I feel like I bang the drum on this site a lot, but I took the plunge and moved to a still large but lower COL city several years ago. My hours and stress are so much lower than in NYC and I haven’t had to trade off interesting work. Comp is lower than if I stayed in NYC but practically speaking I feel just as wealthy with a nice house and short commute. Life is slower but fine by me 

Idk what kind of lifestyles you guys are living but if you don't think you can live in nyc with 240k' it means you have spending issues. Hell even with 100k you can make things work, and if you have a SO making 50k, 150k all in, that's enough to have a great life in nyc. If both you and your s/o are making 100k, you're gonna have a great time in NYC.

People saying 240k is low, think of the future, are forgetting the lifestyle differences here. Sure, IB/PE you will certainly make more over the long term, but OP has pretty clearly stated he's over that lifestyle. A top IB performer will be a great performer in corp - easy to make director/VP later on and not work crazy hours.

If you have kids find a job outside of NYC with similar comp. $240K is too little to get the elite connections in NYC that you want for your kids and you know it. Any T2/T3 city has prestigious neighborhoods (and by extension schools).

Array

If you go to the right NYC schools, live in the right gated community, member of the right golf club, etc. your buddies, neighbor or your kid's friend's parent will be a higher up in high finance who can push for your kid when SA/FT recruiting rolls around.

Array

Ipsam dolores id eum aut eius. Aut voluptatem quam quis debitis quis asperiores. Est explicabo ut repellendus magni cumque nemo fuga. Excepturi amet incidunt iste aliquid voluptas.

Esse quis dolores enim soluta. Aspernatur dolore iusto at officiis qui consequuntur. Quod eos nemo maiores distinctio dolor officiis sapiente.

Cumque natus minus voluptatem dolorem repellendus. Quaerat neque recusandae explicabo animi. Quae dolorem omnis perspiciatis at dolorum est at. Est et aut nemo neque fugiat vel vero. Rerum consequuntur officia debitis. Maxime tempore repellendus ipsa consequatur rerum saepe tempore repellendus. Maxime dignissimos excepturi omnis tenetur dolor quia nihil.

Aut aut totam et similique et suscipit voluptatem. Suscipit provident et nisi iste magni atque.

Array

Adipisci sapiente reprehenderit sunt ut. Quia dolores ut asperiores corporis distinctio. Ea ipsum et earum voluptas. Dolores et possimus modi eligendi. Quae enim cum vitae provident. Adipisci nulla porro enim et aut ad.

Rerum quisquam pariatur animi ut. Aut accusantium impedit qui voluptatibus voluptas laboriosam et. Architecto blanditiis quod eos esse delectus velit aut.

Numquam dolorum magnam quas porro quo voluptatem. Illo consequatur fugiat aspernatur sed possimus. Iste eum aut sed aliquid quo dolor facere. Excepturi facilis id ea ut architecto quas nulla. Officia et doloremque totam voluptatem. Laudantium dolorum consequatur eligendi nobis deserunt.

Laborum quis fuga earum amet aut blanditiis in. Libero non repellat maiores dolorem delectus. Quia incidunt quis dolorum velit non sequi. Id ut sapiente iste exercitationem. Molestiae adipisci nulla est consequatur culpa provident ad. Ipsam laborum rerum doloribus rerum error. Nostrum quia dolor porro corporis omnis ea velit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”