JHU MSF? Profile Evaluation MSF 2014

Hello WSO users!

This is my first time posting here.Here's looking at you all for some valuable advice.

I'm applying to schools for Fall 2014 intake,and I'm looking at MSF and MiM programs. My career interest is in corporate finance (working as a financial analyst) or in AM. I'm not particularly looking for very intensive MSF programs,if I may be brutally honest, I'm also trying to factor in community and student life, and location.

My profile -

Engineer from India with a CGPA of about 7.85 on 10.
Have worked as an analyst for financial services (mainly support and implementing solutions,not hard core finance) for about `1.5 years now.

Have a strong extracurricular activity background.

Have done some basic courses like Operational Research, Calculus, Statistics,Financial Management in my undergrad.

Currently preparing for my CFA Level 1

GRE score : 329 (V:166,Q:163)

Published a paper on union budget analysis and the impact of the government's five year plans on Indian economy.

Based on these stats - would you consider the following choices wise? Any suggestions on schools I should add,delete or move around on the list ?Any schools where I might stand a strong chance?

Dream -
CMU (MsCF),
Columbia (Master in Management Science and Engineering)
LSE - Msc Management

Also applying to -

UT Austin (MSF)
WUSTL (MSF)
Simon (MSF)
UIUC(MSF)
Duke (MMS)
Purdue (MSF)
USC (MSF)
Vanderbilt (MSF)

Are my choices too optimistic? Should I be aiming lower?

Also, I was wondering how good the JHU MSF is. I haven't gotten many great reviews for it,but I like the university and it's got a good name IMO,at least for us folk living outside the U.SA.

Any feedback or comments or criticism welcome. @TNA,I'd be grateful if you could share your views on this.

Comments (15)

Nov 15, 2013

what do you mean by very intensive? do you mean quant-intensive? if thats the case, then CMU will most certainly not float your boat. i know several tepper mcf students at my bank who all work in quant-focused roles.

Nov 15, 2013

Yeah,you're right. It was an irrational pick, but Tepper does that to you. :)

Nov 15, 2013

I'd focus on admission to Vanderbilt. I think that JHU is still up and coming. DC is a fun city to live in but JHU comes off as more of a program suitable for someone who is doing the MSF part-time while working full-time.

Nov 15, 2013

Thanks TraderDaily! What do you think of WUSTL and UIUC? Are the master in finance programs open to applicants like me who haven't done too much practical finance work? A lot of the websites say you needn't particularly have relevant work ex,but what I see in the applicant pool is completely au contraire which has me worried sick.

Nov 15, 2013

WUSTL may be more advanced math intensive. I wouldn't do UIUC. It's more network intensive. Personally I would look at Villanova. I hear the name is known not only in Philly but can get you to NY as well.

Free Consultation

Vantage Point MBA's clients are accepted to the top MBA programs at a 3x higher rate than the average acceptance rates. Request a consultation with their team to learn how they can help you gain admission to your dream schools. Learn more.

Nov 15, 2013

let @TNA answer this

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Nov 15, 2013

Honestly, I would target Duke's MMS. You want to work in Corp Finance and have an engineering background. The general management experience would probably benefit you and Duke's brand would have every F500 company coming on campus. Class would be a lot easier than in a traditional MSF program or MFE program.

And you are studying for the CFA which will help you if you want to go the AM route.

Nov 15, 2013

Thanks so much for your inputs! I am quite keen on the Duke program as well,but I'm wondering if it's just a watered down MBA,and a very 'spensive one at that. Would I be able to make the cut for programs like UIUC or UT Austin,do you think? I know my lack of real finance work ex is going to be a weak point,but I'm wondering if I could manage to study at a decent MsF program.

Nov 15, 2013

bump^. Anxious to pick a few safety schools. I can't tell where I can be reasonably confident of acceptance with my profile.

Nov 15, 2013

For safety, maybe consider Tulane as well. You have to be open to energy though. That's their key focus.

Nov 15, 2013

I think it is probably easier for an Indian student to get a job in the US, but you will have to be open to a wide array of financial jobs as sponsorship should be your main focus/issue.