Jump to F100 company? - SBs for good answers

I was approached by a Fortune 100 recruiter today for an internal finance role. I'm trying to maximize my chances of getting into a top business school in a few years and was hoping for some advice....

I am currently a financial analyst (FP&A) at a relatively well known software company. Thing is, it's not "Fortune 500" finance because my company IS NOT in the F500. Without getting too detailed, it's one of the companies on this list of "Most Admired Software Firms" by Forbes:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmire…

I've been at my company for 1 year (I'm 2 years out of a non-target college, had an unrelated job before ending up at my current firm). Today a recruiter at a Fortune 100 software company (also on the above list, NOT MICROSOFT) expressed interest in interviewing me for a position similar to the one that I currently have.

Is it worth making the jump to this F100 firm? Let's assume that the work quality will be the same. ALL ELSE EQUAL, will working in an F100 finance be looked upon more favorably than working in an F1000 finance for b-school apps?

whatwhatwhat:
How did they approach you?

Linkedin. I have my account set to "seeking job opportunities" and FP&A recruiters usually get a hold of me once a month or more.

Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

There might be a slight edge, but then you'll have an offsetting question mark about (1) why you are 2 years out, with only 1 year of experience, and (2) why you have a job on your resume where you only stayed for a year.

djfiii:
There might be a slight edge, but then you'll have an offsetting question mark about (1) why you are 2 years out, with only 1 year of experience, and (2) why you have a job on your resume where you only stayed for a year.

this was my EXACT thought process. the questions arising from the oddly timed job change will far outweigh the brand name difference

No, please don't. Small firms have a culture that fosters teamwork. From my experience in a F500 finance environment: they pigeonhole you and you only have one year experience. Stay put for one more year, at least.

karypto:
No, please don't. Small firms have a culture that fosters teamwork. From my experience in a F500 finance environment: they pigeonhole you and you only have one year experience. Stay put for one more year, at least.

agreed. in fact, after i put in another year, i will be looking into startups as well as other companies IF i decide to move on.

accountingbyday:
In my mind this boils down to 1 question:

Where are you likely to be promoted faster?

it's really tough to tell, but it's a good point nonetheless. FP&A tends to have a culture of "putting in your time", so in that case staying put is probably a smarter idea.

short reply, but due to the lack of other responses, +1 for you.

Nam vel quis inventore neque qui perferendis laudantium voluptatem. Enim voluptatem laudantium qui earum. Quia omnis vitae et officia cumque quis doloribus. Ducimus quos ut et odit harum assumenda ipsam. Fugiat mollitia placeat commodi aperiam. Quibusdam harum aliquid atque debitis.

Consectetur earum ex et ducimus itaque temporibus labore. Similique doloribus accusamus omnis delectus. Aut voluptas et distinctio dolorum laboriosam fuga rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”