You can always reach out to the analysts in your group. If you can manage to spend some time with them like at a bar or catch a game it'll be great too. I did that before an internship and the guy showed me the ropes and helped me out on things with his own time once I did start. My manager was notoriously hard to grab too so that relationship was extremely helpful. Learned the surrounding area faster, got up to speed in the office faster, and learned about current projects before stepping foot into the office. It helped a lot.

1. Great attitude all the time
  2. Get along with your co-workers
  3. Triple-check your work
  4. Deliver results not delays

Anyone who can do all four will be fine. As for learning excel you will be using it extensively every day of the week so you will learn by default.

The last act is tragic, however happy all the rest of the play is; at the last a little earth is thrown upon our head, and that is the end for ever.

I'll reiterate what a lot of these guys have said.

It's your first year so just learn how the business makes money.

Spend the extra effort learning your role and keep the mentality that you will be creating value if you can pick up work that your boss or other superiors were once doing. If you can free them up from certain tasks that gives them the ability to contribute in a more meaningful way, thus hopefully creating more value to your group and organization.

Stay passionate about your contribution and maintain a positive entrepreneurial spirit then you'll have a great year. You can really make a name for yourself throughout the company in just a year if you do it right.

Best of luck!

• Learn excel and try to become a master at it.
  • Be open, take in suggestions and ask good questions
  • Have a good attitude, dont be a snob
  • Set up 1:1s, meet with the people you will work with, let them know your intentions are well
  • Always check your work, and be prepared to offer recommendations as needed (you're part of the team too!)
  • Be happy! Don't be that person who ppl hate to work with.

Hi Javabridge12, any of these topics helpful:

• Entry-Level Natural Gas Scheduler heck you can put your were in the finance department and were a financial analyst or something, spice ... a lot of commodity trading/scheduling posts (there are a few but most are pretty dated) so thought ... any technical tests and was asked mostly "Fit", "Back Story", and "Why?" ...
  • Are these entry level finance, technology, or in another field if your work experience is relevant 2 to 3 years of professional ... management Ability to adapt quickly to rapidly changing market environments Ability to learn and use ... Yield Credit Analyst | Analyst/Associate | New York: Requirements: Desired skills include: a strong ...
  • Best entry level jobs out of 4 years college banking summer analyst. I'm wondering what the best entry level jobs are for someone in my situation ... a non-target with a high GPA studying Finance. Have two internships, my most recent one being an investment ... level jobs, how would you compare Financial Analyst, Investment Analyst, Commercial Credit Analyst ...
  • Most stimulating entry-level position? What position/function at the entry level is the most intellectually stimulating, one that allows ... you to use your creativity? I understand these things are limited at the junior level, but hey, ... it's all relative.. Please include the broadest range of entry level positions, including the ...
  • Best Entry Level Job for Running Future Hedge Fund under your own l/s fund, and if not, what entry level position in your opinion would give you the best ... hedge fund investing entry level value managers ... managers today didn't start their finance careers out of IB. For example, Bruce Berkowitz started out ...
  • Which F500 Entry Level Job to Take? are general finance training and then I will spend two years rotating through the different areas of ... the Finance department. This company is currently on the ropes in terms of financial viability as the ... finance executives and have a potential faster track towards senior/management roles. Lockheed-Martin: ...
  • 10 useful finance quotes for your daily conversations these ten quotes in finance to share. It seems like being able to quote famous people is a common skill ... Another time, when I brought up the fintech topic with an older friend who is an equity analyst, he ... smartly avoided the topic by quoting Warren Buffet: "Stay in your circle of competence" or ...
  • What's the transition like from rigorous college academics to Finance (entry level IB specifically) academic students feel they are wasting their brain in an IB analyst job (as they mostly do grunt work that ...
  • More suggestions...

Maybe one of our professional members will share their wisdom: hillarypaiemck ResponsibleRinger tdummett

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Best Response

Similique voluptatem voluptas et eum consequatur sapiente voluptates. Nihil qui sit beatae tempora nobis natus. Corrupti quia ut voluptatum odit quasi et est. Eos est quia fugit perspiciatis.

Sit ut aspernatur ducimus pariatur ullam aliquam. Necessitatibus magnam quos laborum sapiente eum libero illum. Sit molestiae eum magni. Consequatur accusamus soluta dolorum ea sed vitae.

Dolorum debitis tenetur dolore excepturi. Provident debitis rerum placeat consequatur eligendi occaecati. Error quibusdam sed aliquid aperiam sit. Minus ut perspiciatis excepturi velit minima veritatis tenetur. Rerum eligendi voluptate deserunt in numquam rerum consequuntur. Laboriosam blanditiis iusto quia quia natus sint. Minus totam numquam quia.

Eligendi repellendus rerum enim quam. Eum ut suscipit qui dolorum nam explicabo. Quia ea repellendus eos temporibus ut cum et. Iste adipisci est sequi et tenetur. Eius sit iusto quia omnis enim molestias ea. Modi autem illum provident culpa quia laudantium omnis. Quos minus in consequatur aspernatur fuga.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”