AM Interview Prep

I am a rising junior at a small liberal arts school looking for an internship in AM. Although I have been networking a lot I feel that being prepared for potential interviews is equally as important. Reading through threads on WSO and other sites has been really helpful for me (thanks to everyone for posting) but I still feel there is a gap between liberal arts students such as myself and finance/business undergrads. Can anyone recommend any books/websites/resources that would be helpful in preparing for AM internship interviews? I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Hey Prospect in AM - Equities, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your thread! Bummer...could just be time of day or unlucky (or the question/topci is too vague or too specific). Maybe one of these topics will help:

More suggestions...

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

You should have the basic accounting/modeling stuff down, so start there. Then I would prepare a stock pitch or two. These don't have to be in depth at all, just need to show that you understand the basics (what a stock is, why they move up/down, etc.) And then maybe just spend a few mins a day reading up on the market. Back in college I had an interviewer ask me to name 3 pieces of news that affected markets that week.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be too nervous. I've found that interviews tend to be pretty chill and behavioral at the junior level. Just be yourself, show an interest in markets and you will be fine.

Recent graduate in AM here from similar background of a small liberal arts school. I interviewed at a bunch of places for a variety of roles and I felt there was a lot of variability in the process between places, roles, and even the person you actually interview with. I think this is largely because with a few exceptions, there isn’t this big recruiting schedule with a set process like you see in other areas. Because of this I’ve had interview processes that were almost all behavioral and some where I got grilled from the first phone screen. However, in my experience the technicals are pretty much always relevant to the role and not nearly as in-depth or at least they didn’t come off like they were trying to stump you. So the big thing would be to study as it relates to the position. For equity spots the stock pitch is usually a key component or is at least asked in some way, I’d definitely have 2 solid ones down. For Fixed Income I felt that it was much more casual, with the technicals usually being more theoretical such as having an understanding of duration/convexity or knowing the things that a credit analyst would care about when looking at a company, as well as being up to date on the markets and especially with what the Fed is doing is huge. My biggest overall tip is to really know what is happening in the economy and markets and be able to actually speak to it, rather than just recite what was on the front page of the journal this week. IMO this is the best way to gain an advantage becuase people will know you actually care about whats going on, especially if you can talk about something changing or developing over time.

Ullam possimus est officiis et maxime itaque iste. Reiciendis tempore aut aliquid eveniet consequatur qui ratione. Inventore ducimus perferendis optio ut et. Id ab ex tenetur deserunt voluptatibus voluptatibus. Eum iste nobis illum rerum quis aliquam.

Nihil tempore provident aliquam pariatur perspiciatis deleniti et. Tenetur tempore accusantium dolorum sed quo consequatur.

Dolorem totam sunt enim quos rerum modi magnam cum. Quisquam est aut voluptatem eveniet ad sit. In inventore ducimus deleniti vero molestiae exercitationem. At voluptatem temporibus dolorum aut.

Est debitis sunt quis laboriosam voluptate eveniet. Dolorem earum reiciendis incidunt unde doloribus cum fugit. Incidunt asperiores ab quibusdam optio. Reiciendis ipsum esse id. Magni tenetur veritatis enim quibusdam accusamus itaque. Culpa officia molestiae consequuntur aut accusantium enim cupiditate est.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”