Making case for F500 vs banking

I assume every here wants to make as much money as possible. Everyone wants to go into IB then PE. This is obviously a lucrative path and probably the most competitive job market in the world but only a select few make the cut.

On the other hand, If you look at Fortune 500 executive salaries, most C levels are pulling in 8M+ with SVPs and VPs clearing $1-2M base salary all in(VP in f500 world much different than Banking VP)

Why is that more people do not look toward corporate finance? It is a longer progression with lower starting salary, but work life balance is much better and ceiling is still extremely high.. Is there a reason corporate finance isn't pursed more often? Is it because it isnt as prestigious? Just wanting to get some opinions on the subject

yes, get a job at a F500 and then you'll probably meet and work with outside bankers that are pitching to the company or working on deals with them. I think it would be a better than working at a small boutique. Btw, I work in corp dev at a F250...and no we are not hiring, sorry.

Best Response

I think that if you got an offer at a well-respected boutique or MM firm, and killed it there/got a FT offer, you'd be in better shape than coming out of a corporate development program, given that your goal is IB.

Are you really going to be able to network with lots of bankers at a F500 over the summer? Seems like a great idea in theory, but one that might be really difficult to execute in practice.

If you're worried about your story during FT recruiting, you could probably just say you were attracted to the boutique for its people/culture, or that you wanted the experience of working in a smaller firm. Might be easier than explaining the switch from F500 to banking, and it would also show that you're committed to banking, and have been. Just my opinion, though.

are you thinking about b-school at all? if so, i'd take f500 corp dev.

i don't know of a lot of f500 firms that take in undergraduate interns in their corp dev/m&a function... my company does not. good luck.

Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

I would have normally thought that an IB internship > other internships as you would have more practical experience in the area when applying for FT positions or future SA positions. But that is an excellent point about networking, not to mention you've already done SA at a small bank, best of luck with your search.

Damn you Rodger! My WSO Blog

A big thanks to all of you for your valuable inputs. I will definitely consider corp dev as well. It's crunch time for summer internships and like what Whiskey5 said, I'll take what I can and run with it- with a goal of breaking into IB industry. I don't think I have the luxury to weigh my options at this point haha.

goalmachine:

would love some further advice on this as well! I'm currently facing a similar situation.

If your end goal is banking, and you have a MM offer (ie keybank, RJ, SunTrust) then for sure go the banking route over the F500 Corp Dev as you will be working on decent deals and will have a very easy time lateraling. At some point, boutiques, especially FT recruiting. ( I know I did)

Instead of taking the boutique/lower MM offers I had, I took one in corp dev at a firm slightly outside F500. in the GS, CS, and BAML, so I had the opportunity to work alongside the BB banks, instead of creating pitch book for a $20mm lug nut manufacturer in Oklahoma.

Sit quibusdam quis magnam officia. Dignissimos rerum et beatae iusto cumque. Quo quibusdam nemo illum est nesciunt vero. Laborum ducimus provident voluptatem.

Beatae autem iste corporis quod. Temporibus perspiciatis consequuntur libero blanditiis autem quis. At minus ipsum reiciendis ab magni pariatur sit. Quas ex quae consectetur perferendis earum qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”