MBA Options? 750 GMAT, Low GPA from Top non-ivey, 3yrs LMM IB Experience

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what's a realistic bschool. Per the title, I have a strong GMAT 750, low gpa (2.7) at a top 25 school, and decent work experience, a few years of regional boutique banking.

Are Wharton/Harvard/Columbia even an option here given my low gpa. I have few extra curriculars though I have had some modest success with side projects and can rely on good recommendations - started a $1mm revenue arbitrage business right of undergrad - it was a few years ago but something to discuss.

Appreciate all the input guys! I'm really looking for either PE/VC or investment management post mba. My current firm is technically a merchant bank, so we do some principal investing as well as typical m&a advisory work.

Best Response
aspiringchimp:

I can't speak for Wharton/Columbia, but Harvard is out of the picture. HBS cares a lot about their average GPA being high and you would drag that down substantially. To make up for a 2.7 you would have to do some kind of world changing thing.

My guess is that Wharton and Columbia are out of the picture too.

I don't agree, I think the OP has an OK to long shot at M7 outside of H/S, but I wouldn't get your heart set on any particular one. Just apply across the board and I'd consider hiring a consultant to help portray your work experience and craft a story. Throw in a few 10-20 schools as more likely options. PE/VC are bigger longshots for you than M7 no matter what the school, though IM may be in the cards if you get in to the right school.

strong GMAT helps a bit to offset the gpa, would also take some classes somewhere and get As to prove that you are capable of doing well. H/S are definitely out, M7 is possible. I think it's worth a shot to apply ED to CBS (they may go for the w/e and high GMAT) and then apply to some combination of Wharton, Booth, Stern (NYC), Yale (Proximity to NYC), UCLA (should get in and can try and network into PE/VC/IM in LA)

I think you still have a realistic shot at M7 outside of H/S like other said. I have an UG GPA that's not too much higher than yours, although it was from a top Canadian engineering school and I also did a master there later as well (and got a much higher GPA). I got a 740 GMAT and got in an M7 after doing a few years of consulting. Get your story together and aim high. To a certain extent, MBA admission is a crap shot so you may surprise yourself. Although that also means that you need to have backup plan (apply to a couple top 15s). Best of luck!

2.7 is most likely too low for H/S unless you have something world changing on your application. I think in general a sub 3.0 makes it tough to have any chance at those schools.

The good news is that your have a good GMAT and will proper execution you'll have a shot at the rest of the M7. Might be worth building an alternative transcript if you have time.

Can't speak to the other M7 but Columbia, from my anecdotal evidence, tends to skew older (I just got accepted with 6 years of WE) and also tends to be pretty rough on NYC finance guys. BUT Columbia also tends to really want to feel the love so applying ED and attending some events can definitely boost your chances. PS gmat scores are rising like crazy, 750 is very common for finance people these days.

Ended up getting into Michigan, Dartmouth, Columbia. Didn't end up applying to Harvard/Wharton.

Definitely took every extra step getting into these schools.

For low GPA would recommend multiple UCLA extension courses, and study your ass off to get 730+ on GMAT especially if your in finance. Also visited all three schools and made and effort to get to know admissions and had alumni email admissions on my behalf...

Congrats! It is definitely possible to overcome a 2.7 GPA - see 2.7 GPA Showstopper for an MBA? No Way jacuzzienthusiast - you are likely a year or two away from applying so have plenty of time to make a course correction to direct adcom attention away from your soft UG performance.

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Voluptatibus consequatur quia architecto possimus. Mollitia omnis voluptatum iure ut repellendus asperiores. Reiciendis eum dolores atque reiciendis. Voluptas est accusamus eveniet mollitia animi explicabo.

Voluptas repudiandae quod at similique sit quod. Officiis accusamus dolores quis minima soluta optio ad. Sint quam quae ab. Ut illum deleniti perferendis ad qui eum consequatur. Nulla necessitatibus incidunt delectus sit.

Magnam quia consequatur consequatur officiis in molestias. Qui expedita velit veritatis et voluptatem. Hic impedit necessitatibus adipisci quibusdam nemo debitis ut dolorem. Quo commodi omnis consequatur temporibus possimus quisquam. Quae exercitationem unde ut vel voluptas consequuntur laboriosam.

Saepe dicta sequi quo optio. In iure dolores vel assumenda. Velit ea rem ad sapiente qui. Quos sapiente facilis vel quia repellat. Qui et non saepe exercitationem maiores ipsum qui qui.

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”