Obtaining high level finance internship (Summer 2019)

Hello, my goal is to obtain a high level finance (wall street finance - not corporate-) internship for the summer of 2019.

I just finished my first year at a non target state school however due to an abundance of transfer credit, I am technically considered a sophomore going into my junior year. Here is some info:

Major: Finance and Accounting
GPA: 4.0
Past internship experience:

1.Small Insurance broker (Summer 2018) - here I helped coordinate employee benefit insurance plans for our clients. Essentially I was willing to take whatever I could even if it wasn’t specifically finance because I knew it would give me an edge going into my next summer.

1. Fortune 500 corporate finance (Fall 2018) - I decided to also take this internship even though it was during the fall, and I took a semester off from school. This way I could have a big fortune 500 name on my resume, and a second internship that was more finance focused.

Leadership experience:
I’ve held numerous positions in my school student run investment fund where I give weekly presentations, manage our watchlist, create informative videos that teach fundamental/technical analysis, and lead our funds private library

I also have some other “fluff” involvement in other business organizations. Next semester I will look to get involved to volunteer to help with taxes.

Over the next few months I am going to be focusing on landing a high level finance internship (wall street finance - not corporate finance) as this is the field I would like to work in upon graduation. Also, I am on track to get my bachelors in 3 years, so I think it is very important to get this high quality internship during the summer, as I will likely be out in the job market when I graduate the following summer.

Basically I would love to hear advice for how I can best achieve this goal, and specifically what I can be working on leading up to internship season. From my prior reading I’ve noticed the importance of getting a special connection to put your resume at the top of the list. I am considering contacting alumni via linkedin at desired firms. Any other strategies I can deploy? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks for your time!

Hi Kyle-Vitale, check out these resources:

• Hedge Fund Careers: Getting a Hedge Fund Job Out of Undergrad and Beyond become a hedge fund analyst without experience? While working in equity research or in investment banking ... getting a hedge fund job. You can start searching for internships as soon as the summer after freshman ... A career in the hedge fund industry is one of the most desirable careers in finance. Money is
  • How to get a Hedge Fund Internship Report. Hedge Fund Analyst Hours In terms of hours, investment banking internships are notoriously brutal ... Hedge Fund Internship for Investment Banking Many of you have intentions of pursuing investment banking ... HF internships establish credibility with
  • Junior Year Summer: I-Banking Intern or Top Hedge Fund Intern summer internship (in terms of prestige its on the level of Bridgewater, Millennium, Viking Global ... this but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the junior year summer investment banking ... this summer at a mid-market PE firm with ~8Bn AUM just to give you a sense of my experience and have ...
  • Comparing Investment Banks, Hedge Funds and Private Equity me a quick simple, basic breakdown of the differences between IB, VC, PE, and Hedge Funds? Investment ... analysis to help the partners determine if an investment is justified. On the hedge fund side, you will be ... very hierarchical. You can read more about getting hedge fund jobs and internships on WSO. Looking to ...
  • Day in the Life: Hedge Fund Associate- Investment Banking Background working as a hedge fund associate with an investment banking background. The focus here will be on job ... investment banking for long! hedge fund ... and when the market your hedge fund operates in opens, but for an Equity Long / Short associate ...
  • AMA: Research Analyst at $1 Billion Hedge Fund give back to the community. I am happy to answer any question from internship recruiting to PE / HF ... anything to do with banking my sophomore year to winning a summer and eventually FT IB offer. Ibanking: ... market bank (think Jefferies, RBC, Baird). Also, I was in a regional non-NYC location, which definitely ...
  • Hedge Fund: The Investment Life Cycle on my experience in the hedge fund industry, particularly in how one goes from the start of an ... summer analyst stint at a pretty value-intensive AM / HF hybrid company where I accepted full-time and ... spent about 1.5 years there before getting poached by a fairly large hedge fund. I spent two years there ...
  • Internship: Small hedge fund vs Big 4 Accounting GPA (3.95/4.0) with no prior investment banking experience. As a student athlete Ive always been very ... two internships for this summer after I graduate. I hope to leverage one of these internships to make ... The first is a very small hedge fund, around 120M AUM. It is a very small office with a very relaxed ...
  • More suggestions...

Or maybe the following users have something to say: Kinetic Friction yqqtoday tradeanything123

If those topics were completely useless, don't blame me, blame my programmers...

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

2019 recruiting has been going on for a while now and will probably end within september/october for the last couple firms that haven't started. I am on the same boat - currently recruiting for 2019.

You should send out your resume everywhere ASAP if you haven't already and ramp up the networking. You have pretty good experience and a 4.0 so if your resume is flawless you can definitely land something even for nontarget.

Even if it's a middle market, lesser known firm you can even try to leverage that SA stint for a "better" BB FT offer. Obviously there are many variables to this (networking, return offer, is it worth it, etc) but to me it just reminds me that there's always more opportunities than what we might initially think. But that's going pretty far in the future. Focus right now should be on 2019. Good luck man!

Thank you! I wasn't aware 2019 recruiting typically started this early. I will definitely get a move on and start sending my resumes ASAP. Should I try and use the linkedin alumni feature to try to leverage a connection and get my resume bumped up to the top of the list, or should I focus more on quantity, sending to as many firms as possible?

Also what types of places would give me the exposure to the wall street/investment finance via an internship that I'm looking for? I know from reading other posts hedge funds and bulge bracket banks are great options... what other types of firms should I target?

I am located near Chicago, so I figure this should provide me with ample opportunity.

Some names that come to mind are goldman, morgan stanley, baml (all have apps open rn). Then other ones that haven’t opened are BMO, Oppenheimer, Piper Jaffray (?), Jefferies (?)

Look up the 2019 SA Megathread. Should have good info there.

Amet vero iste laboriosam excepturi quo harum dignissimos. Eaque laudantium et delectus beatae molestiae ab veniam rerum. Repellat et est voluptas tempore similique facilis. Voluptate maxime voluptatibus voluptates enim quibusdam molestiae assumenda.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”