Off-Cycle IBD 2020

Hi, I have a question which is puzzling me and for which you might have an answer. I am an undergraduate student from a top french business school graduating in december this year. I have a gpa of 4.0 / 4.0 and intend to do a masters in finance in london from september onwards next year. I have two previous off cycle internships, the first one at a mid-range french bank in FI sales-trading (in paris), and the second one at a BB in DCM (in london). After those two internships I realised I preferred to go towards IBD M&A and have applied for off cycles in IBD at all the BB's and EB's, both in London and in Paris (MS, JP, GS, BAML, CS, Citi, Lazard, Rothschild, etc.).
Problem is, I have either been refused by all of them right after hirevue or am "under consideration" / "business review" since early to mid November - so most probably refused as well. I dont understand why as last year, before completing my off cycle at the BB when my CV was "weaker", I had been invited to a handful of AC's and made it to the last rounds of many banks. My CV is technically stronger this year yet the results I am getting are worst. Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong if anything ?

Off-cycle internships have fewer spots and you are also competing with a lot of other coming Msc students from all over Europe. Breaking into off-cycle without networking is tough from my experience.

Which Msc are you getting in London? The LSE program is only 10 months and should allow you to recruit for next summer and then joining full-time.

I don't know... Yeah. Almost definitely yes.

Thanks for your reply. But what I dont get is how last year I was much more successful with off-cycle recruiting, making it to AC's and last rounds, and this year I am faced with an almost complete drought.

Aiming for LBS, LSE and Imperial in London. And yeah thats the plan, but I would really like to gain experience in m&a between January and the start of my masters so as to increase my chances of getting an FT after the Msc.

Hard to say why that is exactly. Could just be bad luck. All schools have wide alumni networks and ties to IB - reach out to alumni from your country and try to get contacts from there - they are usually more open to helping people from "home". I think it will be hard to gain any experience prior to starting now, but you could reach out to local boutiques without standardized programs.

I don't know... Yeah. Almost definitely yes.

Take my post with a pinch of salt as I'm just speculating. Having gone through two recruiting cycles in London, one thing I noticed is that this year I didn't get an AC/phone interview where I did them the year before, so I suppose a sort of "blacklist" might exist.

It's just insanely competitive and it's a mixture of CV/networking/luck.

Off-Cycles are pretty competitive, more than summers. In any case you can land them without any network if you have the own skills or experiences, the important thing is to show off and to prove that you have what they are looking for from the 1st interview

I do feel that Hirevues are a complete nosense, in my bank they barely review the videos, if they like the CV they just watch 30 secs and call him for an interview.

The problem is that there is a huge bias to some universities when it comes to CV Screening, if you add some nationality and diversity quotas things go worse

Most Helpful

Not at my bank, and could tell you that most french people dont rely on having a masters. It's true that having a masters gives you a leg up, as its something really common, and for us its a proof that you want to work in finance. But its true that here if you dont come from a target uni you have like almost no option to land a good gig

From my point of view, there are different options: - Quotas: French quotas were full - They saw you moving too much: From S&T to DCM to M&A (not a common path and seems like you are moving from one side to another) - You didnt convert any of the 2 off cycles, which can be seen as a red flag

Then you have to also add to the mixture that banks are reducing their intern classes this season (or it seems so, according to HR)

Ut ducimus et ipsam distinctio nulla at est. At facilis a quo voluptatum quia. Modi aut velit eveniet quisquam est amet et.

Provident aperiam voluptas possimus ea inventore illum. Et velit tenetur libero a. Non adipisci officiis aut laudantium ea et quod.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”