Fortune 500 Internships?

I am a junior, and my goal was to land a BB IBD SA position for this summer, but I have had 2 BB superdays thus far and been rejected by both. I am starting to feel like the IBD dream isn’t going to work out.

As a backup plan, do any of you have recommendations on potential Fortune 500 Finance internships that are still accepting applications? Anyone know of some good ones that frequently result in full-time offers (preferably in NYC)?

Check out the company database. I know you wont have access right away, but if you put some reviews in you can get access and check out what others experienced with same company/interview.

Best of luck

"I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's." William Blake

Fortune 100 company that jumped like 20 spots last year? It'll look good.

Is this soph or junior summer? For sophomore, it'll help with IB internships. If you're a junior, it'll help more for risk at a bank than getting a front office spot.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Anyone else have anything to add. I tried to look into the company database on WSO but I don't have anything to contribute to unlock it. Would really appreciate any tips on what to expect for this campus interview.

Definitely behavioral. In the F100 interviews I had, there were no technicals, though once I was asked what the balance sheet of a bank looked like- this is more extraordinary than the norm. Depending on the type of finance gig, you could potentially get a simple case study where you need to pinpoint where problems may originate from and potential solutions (it's similar to what consults get, but much easier).

If you personally trade, and this is on your resume, it's fair game for them to ask about the economy, what stocks you recommend and why.

Good luck!!

depends on what actually you will be doing. but if you know u want to do IB then try to talk to HR to put you in a valuation/internal m&a group. if not, just try to get as much financial experience as you can by doing budgeting/forecasting/modeling. i think asking them for this type of work shouldn't be that big of a deal. also if the company offers free courses in excel/or anything related to IBD...def sign up

That... that was 4 years ago

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Usually F500 have structured internship programs. From my experience, not many of them are open for freshmen to apply to. Best bet is to check through your school's career services, or try to find some of your parents' connections in F500 companies that can drop your résumé off to HR. At least, that's how it was in my case. PWM is less structured that way, in the sense that you can cold call your way into an internship.

Did a F500 internship. As sullyman said, very structured and usually not open to freshmen. Check directly with the company's HR folks. But if you want to do IBD long term, PWM is the best place for a freshman.

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

experience is always good. and corpfin at f500 as a freshman is already ahead of your peers. especially if its a recognizable company.

additional experience would be good, so boutique ib > part-time pwm, if you could get them that is. Don't worry too much about experience just yet, youre a freshman and youre doing great already. in the end, it all depends on how you spin your story that matters. as long as your resume shows that youre set on finance or at least interested in it.

I'm very happy to have the internship, and it's at a fairly well known F100 company. I suppose my main concern is whether or not I should have a job more relevant to IB to be able to best answer the expected "why IB?" questions in interviews for the larger firms that I'm aiming for next summer. Is it more crucial for experiences to show a general interest in finance (i.e. this internship) or a more narrow interest in IB (i.e. picking up another internship)?

I did a pre-med research internship freshman year and still was able to spin that into "why IB?" so I think you will be okay. You already have a huge advantage going into sophomore year recruiting.

Everything besides sales is support wherever you go. That being said, i tend to think of finance in industry as a special type of support role because in the end, it's all about how much money you make and how you manage it. CorpDev is also a support role by the way. However, from what I've seen, these roles in industry are not viewed as negatively as the BO roles in banking and many CEO's (I think about 1/3) come from the finance ranks. If you can get a corpdev role, that would be better than planning or acccounting, which are areas that require specialized knowledge that is not that hard to master and having it does not represent a significant competitive advantage.

Okay thanks- Yeah I guess I really wanted to know how these roles compare to BO roles within banking and how they compare the boutique investment banking gigs.

Also, corp dev roles would be different than finance roles correct? Are there any internships (I know there are FT positions for these specific roles) in these department that anyone knows of?

Anyone else with insight? Much appreciated.

Corpdev roles are usually a type of finance roles. It really depends on the organization. Some firms put corpdev in treasury, others in the general finance function or in a separate function.

Id velit tenetur dolor voluptates accusantium similique. Alias fugit quia officiis et ullam qui repudiandae. Voluptas ut dolores quia error nobis placeat non. Exercitationem nemo est praesentium veritatis quibusdam aut corporis odit.

In quaerat repellat sit alias. Nihil numquam odit iusto labore quae consequatur cupiditate.

Enim aliquid a voluptatem repudiandae et. Ipsa illum dolor accusantium veniam libero quo. Architecto iusto placeat sit est repellendus. Aliquid earum ipsum tempora expedita ad rem. Id soluta sit sunt a consequatur optio. Impedit cum natus et dolores ullam nisi odio facere.

Vitae atque libero repudiandae quaerat itaque nesciunt rem. Ipsum sunt fugit voluptate fugit neque.

Rem magni vel fuga eum exercitationem voluptatum quia. Nesciunt quidem ut quasi aspernatur inventore. Nostrum rerum est eaque. Et accusamus facere ut voluptatem tenetur ullam consequuntur.

Eos voluptate quisquam accusantium ea quae. Hic sapiente velit possimus accusamus. Non similique fugit qui culpa rerum voluptatem inventore natus. Mollitia eligendi voluptatem nisi voluptas quia ut quisquam. Odio error praesentium voluptatem ut eveniet quia. Maxime doloribus consequatur veniam deserunt molestiae enim. Dolorem aut sequi consequatur.

MKballer

Non est maiores pariatur non quam sit. Modi veritatis sit tempora ut sint aut. Recusandae dicta sint perspiciatis quia id autem nihil.

Culpa non eaque perspiciatis velit. Voluptatem accusamus ex dolore aut molestiae ab. Nulla non et quis eveniet. Labore exercitationem ut debitis sunt ut accusamus.

Modi et et eaque nemo rerum amet. Nulla quod quia culpa dolor et facere voluptatem.

Blanditiis voluptas qui quis corporis consequuntur consequuntur repellat aut. Animi quia aut eligendi. Eos tempora id earum non molestias sint sapiente.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”