Reneging for a return offer

So it's around the time of year when sophomores apply and interview for finance and investment banking internships across the financial industries.

I, in particular, have interviewed and received offers for 2022, without even starting my 2021 internship. Now I'm forced to make a secondary decision on a career path that I have yet to even commence. It's messed up and I think counterproductive to my long term success.

For further context, I'll be interning at a BB this summer, and received offers on buyside/EB for next summer. The problem is I don't even know if I'd like to return to my bank yet, let alone pursue more banking or buyside opportunities. Yet, I have to make a decision shortly because of the nature of my offers.

So what do I do? Do I sign now and make a decision to renege in the case I enjoy my firm this summer? Is all fair in love and war?

As a side note, I realize there are worse problems to have, so please do not interpret this as whining - simply requesting additional perspective.

WSO Elite Modeling Package

  • 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (2)

Apr 8, 2021 - 3:05am

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

April 2021 Investment Banking

  • Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (32) $350
  • Associates (180) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (102) $151
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (25) $146
  • Intern/Summer Associate (95) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (387) $131
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $82