SA 2019 Recruitment timeline for Canadian undergrads to US

Hi WSO, I'm a sophomore currently attending a top target in Canada for US EB/PE/BBs. From speaking to alumni and current juniors going into their summers in the US right now, I haven't been able to establish a clear timeline of recruitment for firms like HL, Mo, EVR, GS. I have been browsing a lot lately but find that kids from HYPSW are getting super days so early as a result of early OCR sessions and better connections to recruiters. This was NOT the case for the junior kids in my program, as their experiences with recruitment started in July. I'm wondering if anyone could clear things up in terms of whether there are actually differences between Canadians recruiting for US shops and Americans recruiting for US shops.

Don't think it's that HYPSW kids are getting interviews early solely because of connections, but mainly because interviewing overall is happening early. Last year for all schools (including HYPSW) interviews started in July, which is why people from your school had that same experience. Would advise you to get on networking/recruiting ASAP - in general, I don't imagine any bank would hold open slots for Canadian students.

US banks and MF PE firms recruit at Ivey in September, but for the most part each firm only recruits for one or maybe two spots. From alumni at these firms that I have spoken to, this recruiting structure remains. However because limited spots are available, it’s not wise to put all of your apples in this basket.

There are lots of Canadian alumni at American firms already, so the best advice I can give is to hit the pavement and network as hard as possible. Target firms that you know have recruited at your school in the past. If you get an interview with these schools before OCR then awesome, but if you don’t then your networking should at least guarantee you get an interview by the time OCR comes.

Any idea what the rationale is for banks waiting to hire Ivey students? I guess you could argue that the alumni have enough pull at some firms to reserve slots for Ivey grads, but I’m just not following why they want to wait for September when they’re doing all their other recruiting now.

My question is are they even reserving spots for us this year? I've read many posts where firms that are supposed to target Ivey have already filled the vast majority of the summer class with HYPSW.

Mainly Ivey alumni having pull to reserve spots. Ivey is 100% a target for Evercore. Multiple Ivey students go to Moelis every year. Qatalyst usually gets one. LGP has Ivey alumni who pull to leave some spots open for SA. At the end of the day these firms want strong Summer Analysts, and I guess these firms see a good reason to wait for Ivey students. At the end of the day, whether the spots get filled in May or September, it's the quality of work product that the SA is able to produce that the firm is mainly looking to maximize.

Do you know if they're actually able to reserve slots? Agree that Ivey usually is one of the best schools in terms of Moelis representation, particularly at the LA office, but I've heard they've already given out 8 offers to Wharton and Harvard kids - doesn't seem like great odds for Ivey if they still haven't started.

I'm on the same page as you that Ivey kids are among the strongest candidates, but I don't think they're sufficiently strong that firms would hold out for them, and I don't see a compelling reason for them to wait for Ivey (not like their incremental learning over the summer is needed), particularly they've already recruited at real US targets like H/W.

Regardless, thanks for the thoughts.

Timeline at Ivey is just as accelerated as US targets. Access to the accelerated process is limited to a few kids though. Also, timelines were accelerated last year as well, starting in May not June (which was the earliest processes started last year).

Veritatis error et tenetur quasi quam esse vitae. Minus ad ut quae facilis earum. Dolores et qui quia libero sapiente molestiae sed. Adipisci in culpa minus nostrum fuga similique et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”