I recently received a LinkedIn message from a recruiter from a local start-up company regarding a Financial Analyst Position. I'm currently a Senior Financial Analyst for a superregional commercial bank and my pay is pretty underwhelming and my job function isn't anything interesting to talk about. I'm considering applying for b-school for either the 2014 or 2015 intake. With that in mind, I'm not necessarily looking for a long-term career at this start-up given my intent to get my MBA. So what do you guys think...would a position at a start-up HELP or HURT my MBA application? Here are a few points to consider:
1) In my current position there is very little room for upward movement...lateral move in the next year or two could be reasonable.
2) Start-up recently received $7.5MM infunding (first round) and has been in business since 2008. They just hired a new CEO who has experience as a C-level executive of a F500 company that everyone's heard of.
3) In the start-up role, I would be reporting to the CFO directly.
4) Start-up has lots of young employees (100-120 employees) and has plans to hire people rapidly as they enter a growth period.
5) Title would go from Senior Financial Analyst to Financial Analyst, but I think this could be negotiated. Taking this job would clearly be a risky decision.
My thinking is that I would enjoy the start-up job more than my current job given the start-up culture and abundance of young co-workers. Plus, I think I would be learning a lot more given that I will likely make up a large part of the Finance department at the start-up rather than one of 800 in my current role. It also might give me more to talk about in my MBA applications. So what are your thoughts, monkeys?