State of Market – Jan 2021

There's blood in the streets right now; obviously, we all know about Melvin and their >30% losses, but P72 just came out with their 10-15% loss, and Maplelane also down 30%. I expect to see the other funds coming out with their numbers, but based on these L/S spreads, I don't expect them to be great either.

There's gotta be teams/funds that start to get cut soon. Does anyone hear any rumors? How's everyone doing?

I genuinely wonder how professional investors can be so very bad at their jobs. My 401k DOUBLED in 2020 in a passive growth fund. My active side stock investments are up 90%. I'm not brilliant or special. It's mostly true for anyone who isn't a total moron. Y'all are getting paid 2/20(?) for this sh*t? You deserve to be out of a job.  

Array

Compared to the majority of reddit users who will probably lose close to all of their life savings when everyone collectively sells at $420.69 or $1000 or whatever limit they put in. -30% is probably above the median return of all those "invested" in GME. Having a pandemic leading to stimulus checks from the government and leading to people having extra time on their hands to start playing around in the market is a black swan enough of an event. On top of that, the likelihood of 2 million Reddit users to agree to collectively short squeeze a HF is a once in a lifetime event. Please tell me how you making 100% in your 401k in a year where the overall market was up 66% from March would prepare you to see this coming while managing billions of dollars

Controversial

Please tell me how you making 100% in your 401k in a year where the overall market was up 66% from March would prepare you to see this coming while managing billions of dollars

That's my point. People are paying 2/20 to incompetent salesmen who throw around their pedigree earned by their parents or grandparents. If I had $2 billion to invest in the stock market, it sure as hell wouldn't go to one of these moron hedge fund managers. Might as well throw it in an index fund with almost no fees. At least you avoid the structural short-comings of making huge one-time investments in stocks that show your strategic hand. 

Array

I totally understand what you're saying - I've made some great picks over the past year - but the game is totally different managing a fund of $2bn. There's so much regulation + so many obstacles to dodge.

Right. Like, answering the challenging questions: how big and where should my house be based on the salary I am paid off of $40 million of fees set against a few million in expenses?

Array

Most Helpful

Lol more like “how can I allocate $200mm in capital to this one stock that I KNOW is undervalued, but without spiking the price?” If you put in a market order then it’ll be obvious you’re taking a large position in a company, because the price will shoot up. That’s just one really easy example, but I know there are many more questions. Another example: let’s say you’re Warren Buffett with a multi-hundred billion dollar fund. How do you allocate your capital when you’ll take a controlling interest in any illiquid stock that you purchase? Or, how do you allocate so much capital when you’ll have to openly report it after taking too big of an investment (there’s a law where you have to publicly report that you’ve taken a stake in the company when you own a certain percentage of their stock - like 5% or something). If you do this then your hand is quickly shown to the public - as we’ve seen this week, it’s sometimes a bad idea to show your hand to the public. People can either jump in right away, limiting your profits because you couldn’t take as big of a share of the stock, or they can go on a brutal short campaign, or they can short squeeze if you’re taking a short position in a company (slightly different situation, but it’s still worth mentioning), etc. 

It only gets harder and harder as your fund gets bigger and bigger. This is why guys like Warren Buffett are SO impressive - once your fund is at like $100bn, it’s almost impossible to beat the market even by only a percent or two. The larger your fund, the more you have to spread it out/the harder you have to work to find good securities, and the more your fund acts like a SPY or VTI because it’s basically becoming the Nasdaq100 as it gets bigger and bigger. 

Funniest

Inside a hedge fund today:

Analyst: "Sir we're up 1000% on our gamestop position, and all the data points to this being the peak, we need to sell off"

Manager: "We can't"

Analyst:" What, why?"

Manager: "Diamond fucking hands, we're riding it through"

The whole "how much of your own wealth is in the fund" is a thing for some allocators. Anyone know how much of Gabe's own net worth was in the fund? Curious if he was just arrogant (and lit most of his own net worth on fire because he thought he was right), or reckless (pressing the short because he didn't have much of his own money in the fund and didn't really care).

They are saying that they are locked out because the hedge funds contacted the brokers and locked them out purposefully.  

Where I am confused is.  It looks like the GME is so illiquid and the reditors have broken the market.  If the market is broken, then you need to halt trading to fix it (ie circuit breakers as one example).  I agree that if they are just blocking them out to block out traders that's wrong.  but if all these shares are trading and not  enough liquidity is in the market to clear orders what happens. I imagine fixed contracts need to trade first.  thus Options and Shorts get filled first then you can repoen to buying.  I know usually orders are a first come first serve, but it seems fishy that no one would step in to try and assist the market with liquidity.    

Officiis quae atque molestiae aut. Sit laudantium dolores quae totam ipsa hic. Voluptatem ad corrupti illum molestias voluptas reiciendis.

Quo laboriosam accusamus autem eum. Laudantium dolor quis eveniet vel quis maiores laboriosam rerum. Autem inventore nihil veniam vitae. Nihil officia nihil optio dignissimos voluptatum. Quod dicta sunt quis voluptatum. Eum et aperiam qui eveniet debitis.

Qui eius fugiat illo nemo maiores necessitatibus. Consequuntur nemo et ut nostrum eaque itaque nemo iusto. Corporis ut est autem voluptatem repudiandae corrupti ipsum. Repellat qui eos numquam quo voluptas impedit esse. Sed ducimus velit nemo voluptatem consectetur. Vel perferendis quo nulla reiciendis magnam.

Deserunt ea et aut alias. Dolorum qui molestias vero officiis.

Sunt consequuntur rerum suscipit qui. Dolor aut eligendi commodi voluptatem. Expedita enim sunt omnis ipsum vel.

Maiores odit enim dolorem iure itaque autem ut est. Inventore id dignissimos neque ut consequatur minus aut. Incidunt aliquid molestiae veniam pariatur iure. Excepturi qui dignissimos odit libero.

Corrupti atque et ut aspernatur ipsum nam incidunt repellendus. Esse exercitationem vitae voluptatem quibusdam atque ea odit et. Nulla qui labore asperiores necessitatibus totam consequatur est. Harum et ducimus odio deserunt beatae. Non perferendis optio velit. Dolores quod autem ut. Consequatur dolores et qui eius aliquid et ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”