The Ten Best (and Worst) Places to Make a Living: 2017 Edition

I just read this article about the best and worst states to make a living in 2017.  

To create the ranking, MoneyRates factored in elements like median salary, state tax rates, cost of living and unemployment rate. It used data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and Tax Foundation, a nonprofit think tank, among other sources. 

The top ten states to make a living in 2017 are listed below. 
1. Washington 
2. Minnesota 
3. Illinois 
4. Texas 
5. Colorado 
6. Wyoming 
7. Virginia 
8. Ohio 
9. Michigan 
10. Kansas 
It is interesting to point out that a majority of these states are not on the Pacific or Atlantic coast. 
The article also included the top ten list of worst states to make a living in 2017. 
1. Hawaii 
2. California 
3. Montana 
4. West Virginia 
5. Vermont 
6. Oregon 
7. South Carolina 
8. Maine 
9. New York 
10. Mississippi 
Obviously cost of living is a major factor when creating this list and it seems like the best states to make a living are the flyover states. 
Would you prefer to live in a place where there is a lower cost of living (ex. Kansas) or a place where there is a higher cost of living if you had the same salary(ex. $100k) in both places (ex. New York)? Where would you live is cost was not an issue?

Hawaii may be worst, but even being a bartender in Hawaii has to be a great gig. I mean, you're in Hawaii.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Except for the fact that it is probable that the bartender would have nearly no savings. Classic example of cost of living vs. quality of life. I think if a person was homeless or a hippie then being in Hawaii would be better then being in Kansas, for example.

You can make Mainland money living in Hawaii. Maybe not Wall St DE Shaw bonus money but decent small hedge fund money. Depends on your situation. Friend of mine does trading for a small SF based hedge fund in Hawaii (wakes up really early though). Evolution Capital has a Honolulu office. Some Big Tech teams allow for remote working. Hawaii could be a place you live. Upper level exec jobs could be good. Still a pay cut from comparable positions elsewhere but you won't be suffering from poverty. In fact, you can live pretty well. If your spouse works for the airlines, free trips off island.

You get to follow all your favorite sports teams on TV and adopt the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors as your 2nd favorite college football team. What's not to love?

Agreed though that tourism based economies tend to be hard places to make a living due to capital flows and lower skilled employment. My fear is Hawaii becomes like Venice Italy (once a real city now a tourism Disneyland and second home playground).

Anyways there is a different culture there so best you adapt. If you are too type A, you won't last long.

Have compassion as well as ambition and you’ll go far in life. Check out my blog at MemoryVideo.com

Yeah, but have you ever been outside of the tourist areas in Hawaii? When I was in Oahu, the quality of life in the "suburban" areas seemed very questionable. Some parts were okay, but most was sketchy af.

Plus I've heard that there is still a big "divide" (if you know what I mean) between the native people and whites from the continental US.

Click OK to Continue:
Yeah, but have you ever been outside of the tourist areas in Hawaii? When I was in Oahu, the quality of life in the "suburban" areas seemed very questionable. Some parts were okay, but most was sketchy af.

Plus I've heard that there is still a big "divide" (if you know what I mean) between the native people and whites from the continental US.

"Have I ever been outside the tourist areas?" Yes, I know what I'm talking about. Haha. I'm the guy who's going to have "son of Hawaii" on my tombstone.

Have compassion as well as ambition and you’ll go far in life. Check out my blog at MemoryVideo.com

It isn't that bad when you take wind out of the equation. This does allow one to buy an ice house and live on a lake during the winter. Big discount in terms of rent. You then can party with some homeless meth heads. Just make sure you don't shit in the same hole you fish from.

Only two sources I trust, Glenn Beck and singing woodland creatures.

Kamchowder:
The top ten states to make a living in 2017 are listed below.

The article also included the top ten list of worst states to make a living in 2017.

Today's lesson in spurious correlation: maximum state income tax rates.

State - State Income Tax Rate (Pct.) 1. Washington - 0 2. Minnesota - 9.9 3. Illinois - 3.8 4. Texas - 0 5. Colorado - 4.6 6. Wyoming - 0 7. Virginia - 5.8 8. Ohio - 5.0 9. Michigan - 4.3 10. Kansas - 4.6

Average of top rates in the ten best states to make a living is 3.8% (with MN being a massive outlier) and average of minimum rates is much lower at 2.3%.

State - State Income Tax Rate (Pct.) 1. Hawaii - 8.3 2. California - 13.3 3. Montana - 6.9 4. West Virginia - 6.5 5. Vermont - 9.0 6. Oregon - 9.9 7. South Carolina - 7.0 8. Maine - 10.2 9. New York - 8.8 10. Mississippi - 5.0

The average maximum rate of the ten worst states clocks in at 8.5%.

It's almost like in deciding where to live and work people would rather have less of the income they earn taken away from them.

Disclaimer: yes, I know there are a multitude of factors and this is only one. However, it is an important one, and breeds a virtuous cycle that bolsters the other factors (unemployment, salary, cost of living, etc.)

Neque ipsum hic sed ut est blanditiis. Culpa eius accusantium repudiandae nihil sit adipisci quis. Quae temporibus tempore esse saepe consequuntur repellat expedita. Enim alias quae iste doloremque ut.

Architecto reprehenderit repellat excepturi sed fugiat consequuntur pariatur. Qui officia excepturi vel accusantium. Minima recusandae molestiae blanditiis.

Cum non in doloremque excepturi nemo. Ab quia ea dolorem. Voluptas pariatur et unde magni quidem.

Voluptatem praesentium aut et qui. Ab in quidem consequatur adipisci praesentium et. Voluptas harum molestiae dolor iste sequi suscipit. Atque nam inventore culpa ipsam.

Et amet quos assumenda deleniti nostrum error. Odio nam aut ea aliquam maxime consequuntur. Cupiditate perspiciatis fugiat neque repellendus. Eos earum harum magni nisi deserunt labore quia. Labore harum aliquid at in.

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”