Unofficial 2020 Public School Tiers for IB Placement

Tier 1: 80+ to IB with 60%+ going to BB/EB - Michigan, Virginia, UC Berkeley

Tier 2a: 65+ to IB with 40%+ going to BB/EB – Texas, UNC, Indiana
Tier 2b: 40+ to IB with 40%+ going to BB/EB – UCLA

Tier 3: 40+ to IB with 25%+ going to BB/EB – Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State, Ohio State

Tier 4: 25+ to IB with 15%+ going to BB/EB – Florida, Georgia, Rutgers, South Carolina

Tier 5: 15+ to IB with 10%+ going to BB/EB – Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, UCSB, Washington, Alabama, Michigan State, Arizona St, Arizona, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Miami (OH), Baruch

There’s a lot of posts from high school seniors asking whether individual schools send kids to IB. I was bored and thought a post that compiles all the top public schools would be cool to show how cheap in-state options place for IB if one can’t make it or afford to go to a top private school. This is NOT a ranking because obviously there’s other things to consider including school size, interest in IB, level of competition, specific programs, existence of a business school, and prestige. For example, Georgia Tech is in the same tier as Alabama because similar numbers to IB but is a much better school than Alabama – no offense. I’m a numbers guy so I thought this was the most objective way to put them into tiers and show presence on the Street, while avoiding pointless squabbling.

Rules: A school has to meet both the quantity and quality of placement thresholds because Goldman IB is clearly better than a no-name boutique. Also, quantity is important because a school that sends 100% to BBs isn’t that great if only 5/700 people make it to IB. I put some work into this and did my best but let me know your thoughts and I can change it if I got a school’s numbers wrong or need to add a school.
(IB ONLY. Not including S&T, ER, Corporate Banking, or Middle/Back Office)

Yeah majority of the 30ish kids that do get offers are BB/EB and top MMs, but the amount of kids that do end up going into IB/S&T/other high finance roles is surprisingly low considering how high they rank. I think it's their location that really limits them and a lack of kids interested in heading to NYC where majority of spots are at.

I know UCLA sends majority of their business-interested kids to Big 4 back office stuff like audit and risk - kinda sucks that out of 1500 business-interested students in each class, only 30ish make it to high finance roles...

UCLA doesn't have an undergrad b-school, so maybe that's why numbers are low. However, 1500 business-interested students per class is actually a lot higher than I thought. Are none of the other 1400+ students interested in making six figures out of school? Even if they can't get a BB/EB, there's lots of MMs out there. I would think at least 20 or so out of that would land up in mid, lower MMs, or boutiques in LA through connections in the area.

Array

As someone who goes to UCLA, this is the truth lol. There's a lot of MMs out there but kids just don't place because they don't get into any of the finance/consulting clubs so they usually get wrecked in terms of resume or not knowing any of their technicals because they have no guidance usually. Most kids don't even know what investment banking or other high finance jobs are until their 3rd year in college when it's too late, that's why they all go to audit lmao. UCLA itself doesn't do too hot of a job itself educating its students with a sh*t career center. The local boutiques' analysts in the area generally do not have UCLA analysts, and the number is insignificant. So plenty of students are interested in making six figures, but they're just mainly not cut out for it because their resumes can't compare to the top 30ish kids at LA with stacked af resumes.

those clubs are so dumb - they really don't teach a lot apart from how to be a saddo at school - sad that good kids dont get good opps

Do you know how competitive it is to get into the Undergraduate Business Society? # who apply and # who get in? According to this, it looks like UBS places 20 kids to amazing IB spots. It also says 300 kids attend the IB Night, so there does seem to be a high amount of interest.

https://www.uclaubsbruins.com/investment-banking-events

Although, I see UBS consists of more than just IB, so harder to compare to other IB programs.

Array

Most Helpful

UBS has an IB workshop that takes only 20 kids (out of 100+ that apply), and sends p much everyone in the workshop into top firms (mainly West Coast, unless they're a girl or diversity candidate, then they can head to NYC). UCLA also has another program called Sharpe Fellows for IB that takes about 20 kids (there's like ~90% crossover with the Workshop), and there's a few other kids that break into IB or other high finance roles without being in Workshop or Sharpe Fellows, but generally, those other kids are also those that were in one of the finance/consulting clubs and just didn't happen to get into IB Workshop. Kids who are shooting for S&T or CorpFin at like, say Microsoft, have no benefit from the Workshop or the Sharpe Fellow program.

I'd say that for baruch the absolute number going into IB is definitely higher (due to no-name shops and huge student body) but the % going to EB/BB is probably accurate (almost no Baruch kids go to EB due to lack of connections/network from baruch) However, there are a bunch of baruch kids that get into banks like RBC and BMO (recruits on campus)- and im not considering RBC a BB otherwise the % would be much higher than your quoted 10%)

For BBs baruch some kids will land BAML/JPM/GS if they grind in networking and join the top clubs on campus

For EBs I have seen some kids go to Moelis, Greenhill, Centerview, and Evercore (albeit in very low numbers)

UCLA is very misplaced - the no 1 public school in the country does not place as well as UNC/Indiana? I get that a school like that has alot of people who go into consulting/corp roles; but tier 3? thats not right - perhaps tier 1.5 no?

I had it at Tier 2 but the commenter above complained, take it up with him. I know the students that want to do IB, place amazing but since UCLA doesn't have a undergrad b-school, it doesn't pump out the same numbers like Ross

Array

overall you did a pretty good job and you cant please everyone :)

Rutgers I would say tier 4

We have usually 20-25 kids go to IB every year from all three campuses. Whether it's BB/EB/MM or even smaller botiques!

i would say tier 4, its been increasing exponentially as well. We had around 25-30 kids

The OP is correct in his response. For SF and specifically tech coverage SF, Berkeley is one of the top recruited schools (I'd argue its #1 for SF offices but that's group and bank dependent). Like the OP said there are also a lot of people at Cal who go to boutiques and MM that you probably don't notice are in IB.

The Big Ten actually does suprisingly well and has great depth in terms of sending kids into IB. Michigan at #1, 6 of the top 11, and 11 total on this list. Has Northwestern as well but it's private. Dominates the Pac12, Big12, and SEC.

So more placements than Northwestern? You’re out of your mind. Also it’s one thing to look at gross placements it’s another thing to look at quality of bank and success rate of those looking to get into IB

two additions

UCLA>UNC

UCLA for sure has more like 50-70% going to BB/EB - the only kids that are really interested in banking go for it and land at the top firms

UCLA is far and away better than Indiana and it’s not close

This whole thread is a perfect representation of why public schools suck

Repellendus aut consectetur voluptatem recusandae a deserunt. Itaque nulla nobis ratione quo occaecati. Ipsa et dicta et similique voluptatem. Ullam non debitis neque in consequatur officiis veritatis.

Iure ut sed enim nisi aspernatur accusantium velit deleniti. Quia itaque sed distinctio quibusdam. Sit voluptatem totam eos dolores aut.

Omnis ut sed pariatur illo unde veniam. Ea ut saepe eum nihil aut.

Ipsum nobis eum perspiciatis illo omnis ut. Doloribus praesentium et molestiae non dolorum fugit vel. Omnis quae nihil totam itaque. Esse sint nemo commodi aliquam sit itaque. Sint aut architecto rerum minus id adipisci.

Voluptas sit esse libero sunt. Ab aut laudantium et officiis qui. Dignissimos eum quas et laboriosam libero voluptates quia. Perspiciatis quaerat libero maiores eius quo eum.

Consequuntur omnis commodi vero accusamus quasi aut. Doloremque minus facilis libero est quae molestias placeat.

Labore nihil at sed ea tempore nemo incidunt. Beatae a quo sapiente quidem voluptate consequuntur. Veritatis corporis pariatur molestias est et. Sequi dolores quia rem veritatis. Dolor alias maxime perferendis.

Totam sint dolore repellat. Reiciendis provident expedita corrupti dolores minima omnis. Sunt natus sapiente aut nobis doloremque. Nihil debitis atque delectus dignissimos ut odio.

Voluptatem voluptatem dicta hic assumenda ut aspernatur neque. Molestiae non dolores officiis dignissimos quis. Ut optio aut adipisci et. Vitae sed aut quaerat ut doloremque molestias voluptate.

Id iste incidunt vitae quas. Facere molestiae velit reiciendis qui. Nostrum sed inventore at. Quas sint ut odit ad et pariatur.

Nemo est commodi dolores eius. Velit quam nulla nam dolorum et. Velit sunt nihil aut et earum sit et. Porro odit reprehenderit omnis voluptatem autem mollitia.

Ad consequatur voluptates omnis error nihil cum. Maiores doloribus numquam ut et. Iste in tenetur numquam ullam voluptate eveniet. Est numquam maxime distinctio commodi recusandae eos.

Odio et a similique magni at. Dignissimos aut et suscipit eum atque. Similique repellendus amet culpa non nesciunt quia culpa. Non id consequatur voluptas et quasi sunt. In autem nisi esse nisi. Neque voluptatem enim non hic est.

Non necessitatibus explicabo numquam sapiente possimus. Placeat eum et iusto eos repellat sit numquam. Accusamus consectetur ut voluptatem maxime quia. Eos non rerum sit ut.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”