Unpopular(?) opinion: there is a hierarchy within MBB

During recruiting, a perhaps vocal minority always talks about the firms like they're equal. After recruiting (and receiving offers) at all three, I ended up doing a lot of diligence. In my opinion, in terms of prestige, work and exit opportunities, and growth/development: McKinsey >> BCG > Bain.

I don't know how essential it is to provide general hierarchy. Most people choose one of the three based on their exit ops and industry preferences. Bain has the strongest service offering for PE, McKinsey has the strongest for Financial Services,a and BCG... I think has a good Pharma service offering - correct me if I'm wrong. Point is, at the end of the day, even if McKinsey is perceived to be more prestigious as a whole, each firm has its own strength that blurs the line a little. But to answer your question, in generalized terms, most would agree: McKinsey > Bain > BCG

The fact that your "most people agree on this ranking" list is different than OP's just points out how pointless it is trying to rank these guys. Do agree, however, that they clearly are better in certain areas.

I noticed that - but this is just a matter of what I've read and understand from my perspective. Of course, when ranking it's simply a matter of how they are ranked. They all fall similarly on prestige, work-life balance (things such as sabbaticals, and other wellness programs), pay scale, and even career growth. That's why their differentiating factor falls into Revenue, their associated Size and Culture, as well as their Sector Presence.

You're directionally right and most people tend to agree with your ranking on an overall scale..

Multiple exceptions exist, though, like Bain in PE, BCG in Japan, Bain in Italy, etc. All in all, your ranking exists in a three dimensional matrix of region/ country, industry, capability. Depending on where you want to work and on what you want to focus, your ranking might change, which is arguably the more important takeaway.

Most Helpful

The monkey shit is because they’re all insanely good firms, very few people get offers at multiple of them and need to pick which one they want to take, what you can do after working at any of them (for the most part) is going to be the exact same, and no one in the real world is discussing whether BCG is better than Bain.

There’s no real reason to rank them except for the strange chase for prestige on this forum.

I don't think exit opportunities are the same. Ex: McKinsey has the largest PE practice, and >50% of Bain's work is in PE. As a result, at BCG it is way harder to get into PE. Similarly, for someone hoping to exit into tech, McKinsey's network in the Bay Area and breadth/size of tech clients is far better suited than either competitor.

They are all great firms, but when people do get cross-offers, it's important to know that there are trade-offs when going with Bain or BCG.

With PE as a potential exception, in reality for most of these exits into industry it won't actually matter what firm you're from. Perhaps you'll get more opportunities but the quality of those opportunities on the whole likely won't vary much. At the end of the day, you only pick one of those opportunities.

If you want to compare solely on metrics of prestige and exit opps then sure, that ranking is probably generally accepted, but at the same time it's a moot point. In the real world, the implications and "delta" for most are minimal.

In the US, whatever differences you’re perceiving regarding prestige and exit opps are negligible and are only the subject of discussion for insecure folks. Outside the US is another story.

Now, difference in specific industries, staffing model, benefits, progression, partner structure and incentives, culture in various cities - more fruitful.

For example, it’s known among consultants that BCG has the best junior level perks, up to PL or perhaps Principal.

Strongly disagree, as I think it does matter quite a bit in the US as well. For example, you get to focus on projects of your own interest at McKinsey, whereas Bain's (and to some extent, BCG's) local and generalist focus doesn't allow this.

If you're passionate about retail then how can you have great exit opps in retail, for example, if your local office doesn't really have retail and Bain makes you be a generalist in everything from technology to energy?

Somehow you've agreed with me without realizing it. :)

Part of your thesis hinges on the idea that McKinsey has a superior staffing model. It has undergone large changes in the past couple years, transitioning to a more office/region-driven model - albeit with plenty of opportunities to explore outside of it. McKinsey and BCG are much closer in this regard nowadays.

Deleniti repellat sit cupiditate cumque libero recusandae recusandae. Magnam molestiae ut asperiores nemo. Exercitationem sed ab tempora esse nulla corrupti. Quos deserunt et incidunt quo ullam rerum esse. Tenetur ipsum eveniet molestias eaque.

Ratione porro sapiente non. Ut unde quod sed et alias non.

Est aut dolore vel hic eligendi quae. Temporibus odit consectetur voluptatem fugit quia explicabo dolores iusto. Blanditiis autem et blanditiis occaecati autem aut.

Consectetur autem facilis sint molestiae tempore. Possimus dolorum natus amet voluptatibus possimus et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”