Updated info on Houston Banks 2021

I am a student at a texas target (rice/UT) and will be targeting Houston for SA 2022. As COVID-19 has changed the landscape for Energy IB considerably (Canadian banks downsizing, RX-focused banks doing well, etc.) I was wondering if people couple provides a better view on the following banks in Houston:

Evercore 

Jefferies

TPH

Citi

GS

Barclays

Input about deal flow, pay, and intern class sizes would be very much appreciated from people currently in Energy IB.

Despite strong deal flow, I have heard that hours are generally not bad. I don't know if this is still true as they have gotten larger mandates

Most Helpful

I will bite

Evercore: Great brand name and culture. Have done a few good deals recently (Equinor Bakken divestiture, QEP / FANG merger) and been active in the restructuring space. Not too sure on pay but the firm in general pays very well so I am sure the Houston office is in line (but probably slightly below New York). Holistically, I would say Evercore, TPH and Moelis are the best places to be in Houston right now.

Jefferies: Probably have the highest ceiling of all the shops here and may be the best spot if you are interested in being in energy long term. The downside is that the current state of affairs is pretty brutal. Really sweaty, challenging culture and pay that does not compensate for the suffering (imo). That being said, they have been the best energy shop over the past 5 years so I could see them returning to glory if the space ever recovers (BIG if).

TPH: I have heard nothing but great things about TPH. PWP / TPH absolutely killed the RX game and they have had solid M&A deal flow the past 2 years in both the upstream and midstream space. I think pay is above everyone on this list besides maybe Evercore.

Citi: Do not know a ton about this group but have been decently active in past few years. They advised WPX on their merger with Devon so I guess things cannot be too bad. 

GS: Sort of a mixed bag at GS Houston. On one hand they crushed it in the M&A space this year, but on the other hand I have heard TERRIBLE things about their culture. Have a few friends who used to work their and it sounds like the combination of experience (not that good despite excellent deal flow), pay (shockingly low) and senior leadership (bunch of dweebs) leaves a lot to be desired. Obviously a great name brand but I would not recommend based off what I have heard.

Barclays: Do not know much. Believe Oxy is a big client of theirs so that is exciting. Had a solid year pay wise from what I have heard.

Other banks you should also look at if interested in energy: Credit Suisse, Intrepid, Moelis, Petrie, PJT and JPM

Seems like from your experience, Jefferies and GS have the worst cultures. Do you have any idea on hours and / or stories about those groups?

Credit Suisse: Pay is in line with BBs but may be up this year as the firm has crushed the M&A scene. Heard good things overall on culture but limited data points. Mainly recommending them based off recent deal flow.

Intrepid: RX partnership with Rothschild has lead to some solid recent deal flow. Really good experience and strong culture, no data points on pay unfortunately.

Moelis: As others have alluded to, tough culture (its Moelis) but its wayyy different than a Goldman / Jefferies where the challenging culture stems from senior leadership, Moelis just has absurd deal flow for their analyst class sizes which leads to people getting crushed. They probably had the best energy RX year of all the banks and I think that advantage will hold into the future. 

Petrie: Group has definitely been less active recently but used to be a huge player in the space. Not sure how hours / pay are these days but a few years ago they were both very very high.

PJT: No energy group in Houston (run out of new york), but their energy practice seems strong. Advised on the recent Equinor deal and on a few RX deals (Bruin and Southland). Obviously a great brand name.

JPM: Their lending practice has taken a huge hit but they advised on a bunch of the big M&A deals this year. Culture is pretty meh but definitely not as bad as a Goldman or RBC

Is there a culture difference between Richardson Barr and the rest of RBC Houston or is it similar?

Can anybody add color to Barclays? I know they have historically had a great team but seems like they've fallen off significantly in the last two years. Did not see them on much.

Also, what is the sentiment for you guys at the moment? Not necessarily for 2021 (think we'll see some of the better assets get consolidated) but like...2-5 years ahead. As an associate these questions are swirling and its hard to have a line of sight to VP+ right now.

Can anybody add color to Barclays? I know they have historically had a great team but seems like they've fallen off significantly in the last two years. Did not see them on much.

Also, what is the sentiment for you guys at the moment? Not necessarily for 2021 (think we'll see some of the better assets get consolidated) but like...2-5 years ahead. As an associate these questions are swirling and its hard to have a line of sight to VP+ right now.

Barclays used to only take super connected candidates at the analyst level from what I saw. Children of energy executives or sponsors 

had a strong PE pipeline but think that’s dwindled a bit

Delete delete Delete delete Delete delete Delete delete delete Delete delete Delete delete Delete delete Delete delete delete

Can probably add some color on this - I worked across from them on debtor side a while back. Pretty large team in Houston (mostly engineers/technical). Logical backstory - NY Restructuring MD saw multiple downturns and said let’s make a team in Houston for O&G. Took a couple senior folk from Moelis/Evercore, and now they have one of the strongest restructuring platforms. They’re rapidly expanding their platform, which I imagine hints at their dealflow. Had a couple friends interview there after getting dropped, and there was a pretty in-depth modeling test run by a VP.

In terms of intern class, they had 4-5 last summer. Only 1 of them talked to us, and we were forsure going to give him an offer, but his timeline was so accelerated. Pretty sure all got the return because no one from there networked with us (surprising considering so many summers across the vertical got the short end of the stick).

Considering most of the team is technical, are the interns there technical as well or are they generally finance majors? Also, is the rx work run out of Houston or does Houston merely assist MDs from NY and LA?

Texas Tea

Anyone have an informed opinion on Simmons?  (now technically a division of Piper Sandler)

Minimal deal flow and not the safest bank to be. Historically OFS focused but have struggled to grow midstream or upstream presence. Tend to do smaller MM deals 

From my understanding they were doing pretty well.

I liked the people I met and it seemed like they were growing which is rare with Houston IB teams. Obviously in OFS they do well but I think they hired the old Scotia A&D head as well as another MD so they are confident they can land more upstream work.

They hired 4 summer associates which is on the higher end for Houston groups. Also I heard that 2020 was going to be a record revenue year for them. I don’t have any inside sources on whether that is true or not.

Despite some other comments I think it’s a good place to end up. MDs seem very committed to internal promotions and have relationships with juniors.

This is from an associate recruiting perspective. No idea what analyst exits look like.

On the boutique side, TPH/Intrepid have some people in the energy tech/transformation side of things but that is new and a tiny portion of their business. For the BBs, renewables are generally run out of P&U groups in NY. I would assume the EBs run most of their renewables stuff out of NY as well. 

Tbh, I’m not aware of much meaningful renewables work coming out of Houston. Maybe CS because they reorganized into broader Energy/Infra, but most of those seats are in NYC

Pay is definitely not what it used to be at JEF but it’s still very solid and definitely one of the better paying shops in Houston. Overall though, comp in Houston matches NYC for nearly every shop, and when you take into account the lack of state income tax, pay is very solid. Additionally, the Houston only boutiques such as TPH and Intrepid, both pay extremely well. 

Quia distinctio in voluptatum cumque voluptatem velit quos. Quasi sapiente praesentium sint qui tempora illo quod. Voluptas dicta aut cum quis odit deserunt quidem. Odit consequatur sit autem qui saepe qui soluta. Voluptas mollitia est reiciendis doloremque voluptatibus a.

Quae omnis et ab eum. Mollitia perspiciatis quas libero ipsam. Sunt animi quo magni sed. Et eum officiis culpa vel.

Est porro inventore ut officiis libero ut sapiente autem. Et molestiae sit sed itaque assumenda voluptatem necessitatibus. Sunt soluta doloribus dolorum impedit velit iusto. At voluptatum saepe ipsa natus.

Quod aut omnis similique eligendi id quis minus impedit. Eius a ab recusandae tempore quis inventore. Iusto et tempora et atque dignissimos deleniti ad eum.

Ratione ut pariatur quis. Voluptas dolores labore ratione quo placeat. Saepe et et ratione dolorum eum velit ducimus et. Possimus perspiciatis distinctio in harum magni et voluptas. Eius similique sint eius et est.

Tempore sunt neque ex expedita et ullam. Accusantium soluta porro dicta corrupti iste.

Nemo consectetur architecto soluta. Libero corporis et quia molestiae. Excepturi quo et autem qui.

Quia eum incidunt neque repellendus itaque eveniet. Qui debitis accusamus occaecati quasi qui et eos. Voluptatem dolores est qui accusantium totam ut ad. In voluptatem nisi aut esse. Id saepe ut incidunt odio porro sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”