I am a bit of a noob to the i-banking world (I'll admit it), but am gradually getting the hang of industry lingo. Say an investment firm buys another company's debt at a discount. First, what does this mean to buy the other company's debt? Also, I understand that buying the debt at a discount often occurs because the company who currently has the debt wants to dump it and must sell it at a discounted price if it wants to get it off its hands. However, hows does buying the debt at a discount affect the eventual return. Obviously the return has the potential to be greater, but how does face value, maturity, etc. work? Sorry if this seems elementary to some of you.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- At EB Right now. It's already 9pm talked to analyst who told me I'll be working until 2am on average (including today). I've been "reading" the compliance book since 2pm since there's not a lot to do on my first day.
I think I fucked up and chose the wrong...+85 by EUROPETARGET in IB
- Hopefully this guide will save monkeys some money and avoid the fuckups I made. Basically, you can score expensive $$$ clothing for way way less than what you would think. This doesn’t mean cheap, but it does mean you should be able to find $8000 suits for ~$700 - $1200 by the time you finish...+28 by m_1 in FASH
- Holy shit.
I will edit my post with my thoughts, opinions, ideas, expectations, and predictions after I think about this. What did you guys think? One thing is for sure.. we now know how that coin landed.
***Fire away***+24 by champagnepaki in OFF
- "The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.
This new number, called an adversity score by college admissions...+23 by Max Heiliger in OFF
- Update: Before you throw MS please read this to see where I was coming from when writing this:
Examples of what I meant using sports:
Example 1) "Running is 1 for me because its a solo sport and football last because I don't like contact sports"
Example 2)...+18 by isa2130953 in IB
- WSO was a great source for me at the beginning of my career. Figured it is time to give back.
* Graduated from a non-target school with a 3.5 GPA
* Spent 3 years at a BB bank in Leveraged Finance
* Currently, at a value oriented credit hedge fund, investing in...+17 by Value892 in HF
- Hey all,
This site has been a big help to me over the years and I wanted to see if there's anyone out there I can help by answering some questions.
* Lower/middle class from the southern US, first generation
* Started out at a semi-target in STEM , finished my...+16 by GibbonAwayNow in IB
- Heard from a peer on the street, wondering if anyone could verify? The policy on comp is the one that has me making this post.
1. Seniors are jumping ship like crazy right now
2. It is an absolute sweatshop nowadays for analysts
***3. Any year's bonus must be paid back if you...+15 by champagnepaki in IB
- Happy to do an AMA to give back and talk about how I went from a tier 2 consulting shop to UMM/MF PE.
I had **dozens** of at bats for over a year before successfully landing this offer. I interviewed everywhere from VC to sourcing growth to regular growth...+11 by Bubba- in PE
- Hello fellow Monkeys. I know I don't really post here, but I've been a long-time lurker.
I always thought I wanted to be an investment banker and so did everything I could to get there, but I never listened to my heart.
I'm not cut out for investment banking. I should have...+11 by SheetMonkey777 in IB
Upcoming EventsSee all
- May20Debt Collection and Credit Management Course8:00 to 5:00 EDT Nairobi
- May21Private Equity Boot Camp -- New York City, 5/21-5/228:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- May21Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- Toronto, 5/21-5/238:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- May21Podcast: The appeal of tangible investments -- Alda Dennis -- 5/2112:00 to 1:00 EDT Online