What exactly happened to all the fired analysts/bankers in 2008?

As someone entering finance soon, it is growing interest to me. From what I remember and how it was seemingly perceived in the media, banks were letting people go like they were nothing. Did they go into different fields (corp fin, consulting) and/or cities, or did they just sit in unemployment till things mellowed out a few years later? Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid post. I obviously wasn't in the finance scene when this all went down, and I didn't really follow the developments of it, but it really interests me. Thanks for any help.

The hardest hit people were new hires. There's a lost generation of high finance practitioners between the approximate ages of 28 and 30 (2007-ish to 2009 graduates--I say "ish" for 2007 because hiring wasn't terrible in 2007 but a great deal of analysts with less than 1 year of experience got the hack with the spring 2008 collapse). Those with real experience (greater than 1 year), from what I can tell, were mostly able to recover. Those who never got the opportunity to get hired simply went in other directions.

Array

Someone should write a book or direct a movie about this. Maybe with a similar approach/point of view used by Kevin Roose in 'Young Money: Inside the Hidden World of Wall Street's Post-Crash Recruits'.

Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

That's a lot of horse shit about the young bankers. The older bankers were given packages to exit, and a lot of them got out of banking at that time. Recruiting was tightened, so very little grads were coming into banks. The ones that got let go and had a little bit of banking experience usually ended up finding a job in banking later on. The reason you don't see a lot of 28-30 is because there was a dry period in recruiting, not that all the young bankers were let go and never found a job, they were just NEVER hired in the first place and had to do something else.

Best Response

The guys that I saw get hurt the most were senior level but not executive guys (so an SVP/ED/MD, not the CxO worth 9 figures) that had most of their net worth tied up in company stock like Lehman, Bear, etc. and lost it. It's much more difficult to recover as a 50 yr old MD who just lost 75% of their non house net worth because they had it in Lehman stock (sorry Dick...), be out of a job, have existing personal costs and be one of X000 on the street looking for a job. They landed at various places but most were not on the same trajectory and comp levels they once were and lost lots of money in the process.

It's easy to rebound if you were a 23 year old Ivy grad with a year of IB experience. You may not have the exact same job and your career may go differently than you had anticipated but it's much easier to tweak things at that point than when you're older and your entire career and personal finances have been blown out of the water because of a black swan.

I started around 2008. Some of my friends landed on their feet, some better than others, while others are still finding their way. For example, I have a buddy who got fired from alev fin job in 2008 who ended up at Fortress doing distressed and now he is doing very well (title and $$)

I have another friend who couldn't find a job for a year, got an MBA and now is in a back a couple years behind everyone else our class

Finally, I have someone who couldn't find a job, and has bounced around from 3-4 jobs 1-2 years at a time

It varies. Don't worry - things sort itself out over a 10 year period

ib_457:

As someone entering finance soon, it is growing interest to me. From what I remember and how it was seemingly perceived in the media, banks were letting people go like they were nothing. Did they go into different fields (corp fin, consulting) and/or cities, or did they just sit in unemployment till things mellowed out a few years later? Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid post. I obviously wasn't in the finance scene when this all went down, and I didn't really follow the developments of it, but it really interests me. Thanks for any help.

Analysts and Associates who were any good and wanted to stay in the business found jobs eventually (though as others have said, many left for startups and jobs in tech). MD's with revenue generating potential likewise found positions, though most had to settle for firms that were arguably less prestigious than the ones they'd left. The axe fell hardest on VP's and Directors. They were too experienced to be marketable as associates and not senior enough to have revenue generating potential. Most of those people have left the business and from what I know they're all over the lot. Anyone entering finance should understand that it's a cyclical business - always was, always will be, no matter what anyone says.

From my experience, ended up losing a BB IBD offer and starting at a small boutique focused on special situations merchant banking, moved to after a couple of years BB TMT EQR because my first interest had always been in tech. Eventually found my to a fairly prominent growth equity group that focuses on Fintech which actually brought together a lot of my experience from my first two roles. I'd say it was a somewhat frustrating 5 year period right after graduating from a top tier undergrad, but I took it in stride and made sure I extracted the most I could from my two roles on the sellside. Granted it probably set me back 2-3 years earlier in my career but looking at things now I'm at VP level at well recognized group and the bulk of my peers who got "on track" starts in BB IBD etc. and eventually moved to the buyside are more or less at the same level. I do agree, over a 10 year period making mostly the right decisions, even with not so great luck you end up where you're supposed to be.

Repudiandae qui corporis voluptatum et maxime minima et. Est sit veniam sit. Ut totam ut et quibusdam provident repellat est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”