WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (2/20-2/26)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Ask a VP in Equity Research anything
Post By @Fanalyst"

I am a Vice President in Equity Research at a top 10 bank, covering of a selection of stocks (from mid to small cap firms) within a large sector. Ask me about how the industry works, lifestyle, recruiting, compensation, etc.

Many MDs/Directors but little staff
Post By @BankerC159"

Does anyone know why senior management may vastly outnumber staff members (Analyst, Associate and VP) at certain banks (typically MM/boutique banks)? Two things come to my mind: there are no barriers to moving up and there is a very high rate of staff turnover.

Advice from an ex-IB MD: The Habits of Winners
Post By @wilowallstreet"

Friends help you find shortcuts. Having friends is like having access to another person's experiences, knowledge, and network. I think having friends should be ranked as a super power. A good network of friends can transform you and allow you to accomplish things you could never do on your own.

Quick Word of Advice - An Easy Way to Differentiate Yourself
Post By @Live for the Ice"

I work at a boutique M&A advisory firm as an Associate. I recently driven and completely revamped the firm's (unpaid) internship program. Though we received more than 200 applications, not a single person called to speak to us over the phone. Since first impressions mean a lot, if there is interest, I am happy to share more on how one can do this successfully.

2nd Year EB Analyst - AMA
Post By @throwaway82694"

I went to a target school (H/Y/P/S/W) and worked as a junior SA before joining as a full-time hire. I was from a somewhat non-traditional background as I was very much a quant in college. I studied Mathematics and Computer Science, and worked at a large hedge fund during the summer break of my sophomore year.

How do people in IB sit for so long?
Post By @ISellMoney"

I am interning at a merchant bank for the spring semester and my back kills me at the end of the day (my working hours are from 9am to 5pm). It got me thinking how do people in IB sit down working on models and powerpoints for such a long time?

Which banks still give their analysts blackberries? (2016)
Post By @Jules Winnfield"

I know a lot of banks have phased out blackberries altogether, with many of them pushing for employees to use their personal phones for work. Which banks still offer analysts blackberries? Do any of them even offer analysts a work phone nowadays?

NE M7 to MBB: What I wish I knew, observations, and ask me anything
Post By @babster"

I attend a Northeast MBA business schools">M7 school and just finished first-year recruiting. I landed two MBB offers and a second-tier offer (ATK, LEK, Parthenon) in a city along the east coast. I wanted to give my perspective on the recruiting process at a MBA business schools">M7 school, explain some of the mistakes I other people make and answer any questions. Do not assume that going to a top-tier MBA program will get you a consulting job; you have to work for it.

AMA 2 years MBB -> VC
Post By @humblebot"

I am currently in my second year at Bain and I will be leaving this summer to start an associate role at a VC firm. I responded to an email by a headhunter, before having a few interviews over the phone and flying to their office for six in-person interviews.

PE Lateral Process
Post By @DaBBzMan"

What happens if you do not like the PE firm you end up at? In banking, it is a well-trodden path to lateral between banks, but does that exist on the buyside?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”