• Sharebar

Universum, an employer branding company, has released its world's most attractive employers list and investment banks barely made it to the top 10.

The fairest of them all was Google, followed by KPMG and Ernst & Young in 2nd and 3rd while investment banks JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs rounded up the top 10 in 9th and 10th place respectively.

The rest of the banks however were hanging around the middle; eclipsed mostly by F500 companies. Morgan Stanley came in at 17th, Deutsche Bank at 20th, BoA-ML at 22nd, while Citi, UBS and Credit Suisse came in at 29th, 30th, and 31st place. Barclays seemed the least sexy of the group, sitting at the 36th slot.

Universum CEO Michal Kalinowski stated that the financial services sector took a big hit from attracting top talent because:

Quote:
"Due to the banking and investment sector being perceived as responsible for one of the world's largest economic meltdowns in history, employers in the industry have lost their appeal as a great place to kick-start one's career, Management consulting companies have also dropped in the rankings, often linked to the banking and investment sector, and may have been perceived as part of the problem for past financial mismanagement."

The index was based on selections of roughly 130,000 students with business and engineering backgrounds from the world’s top 12 economies and schools, thus explaining why banking didn’t put on a good show – and historically it never did place high anyway.

But has finance really lost its appeal?

I highly doubt it, but if that’s the case then more power to us.

We bring our own appeal anyway.

Comments (31)

  • bulge4lyf's picture

    It's still as sexy as ever. When people find out I'm going to a BB next year the first thing they say is oh wow. No idea why the hell big 4 are up there, you couldn't pay me to work there.

    I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.

  • bbc's picture

    I do think it has to do with perception but not due to the meltdown. I think it has to do with actual/perceived the work hours/conditions ... I think my generation is becoming soft. They want to be fed and play volleyball on the Google campus or whatever ...

  • non-target's picture

    I think the big 4 might have more to do with the consulting part rather than audit, tax etc. But regarding the finance sector being unattractive because of they caused of the financial crisis is a far stretch. I think it might have more to do with the excess supply of finance professionals in the market and not so ambitious/driven students finding the job search frustrating, especially the ones who are looking to make a quick buck.

  • In reply to bbc
    adapt or die's picture

    bbc wrote:
    I think my generation is becoming soft. They want to be fed and play volleyball on the Google campus or whatever ...

    I think your on to something here, wussification of America... too many kids playing ultimate frisbee because they're afraid to put some pads on and hit someone

    It doesn't bother me, just adds more soy milk drinking push overs to the male population to be dominated

  • In reply to bbc
    econ's picture

    bbc wrote:
    I do think it has to do with perception but not due to the meltdown. I think it has to do with actual/perceived the work hours/conditions ... I think my generation is becoming soft. They want to be fed and play volleyball on the Google campus or whatever ...

    It doesn't have anything to do with being soft. The fact is, most young people would rather spend their weeknights/weekends in bed with their girlfriend and going out with their boys. That's a pretty logical decision for many people. Especially when you can still get a decent paying job outside of IB. Sure, you won't make 6 figures at 22, with the same chance at making 7 figures at 30. However, making $50K at 22 with a good shot at making $100K at 30, all the while working 40-50 hours a week, is a pretty sweet deal for most people. And lastly, many smart people actually find IB/finance boring, so it's not a good career path for them.

  • In reply to econ
    surferdude867's picture

    econ wrote:
    bbc wrote:
    I do think it has to do with perception but not due to the meltdown. I think it has to do with actual/perceived the work hours/conditions ... I think my generation is becoming soft. They want to be fed and play volleyball on the Google campus or whatever ...

    It doesn't have anything to do with being soft. The fact is, most young people would rather spend their weeknights/weekends in bed with their girlfriend and going out with their boys. That's a pretty logical decision for many people. Especially when you can still get a decent paying job outside of IB. Sure, you won't make 6 figures at 22, with the same chance at making 7 figures at 30. However, making $50K at 22 with a good shot at making $100K at 30, all the while working 40-50 hours a week, is a pretty sweet deal for most people. And lastly, many smart people actually find IB/finance boring, so it's not a good career path for them.

    Common sense, I like it.

  • In reply to econ
    Serialacquirer's picture

    [/quote] It doesn't have anything to do with being soft. The fact is, most young people would rather spend their weeknights/weekends in bed with their girlfriend and going out with their boys. That's a pretty logical decision for many people. Especially when you can still get a decent paying job outside of IB. Sure, you won't make 6 figures at 22, with the same chance at making 7 figures at 30. However, making $50K at 22 with a good shot at making $100K at 30, all the while working 40-50 hours a week, is a pretty sweet deal for most people. And lastly, many smart people actually find IB/finance boring, so it's not a good career path for them.[/quote]

    That is exactly what being soft is.

  • In reply to econ
    iBANKhard's picture

    econ wrote:
    bbc wrote:
    I do think it has to do with perception but not due to the meltdown. I think it has to do with actual/perceived the work hours/conditions ... I think my generation is becoming soft. They want to be fed and play volleyball on the Google campus or whatever ...

    It doesn't have anything to do with being soft. The fact is, most young people would rather spend their weeknights/weekends in bed with their girlfriend and going out with their boys.

    Why would you ever want to be in bed with your girlfriend, let alone have one? If you're in IB, you can have a flavor of the week, or night, however you prefer it.

  • In reply to iBANKhard
    econ's picture

    iBANKhard wrote:
    Why would you ever want to be in bed with your girlfriend, let alone have one? If you're in IB, you can have a flavor of the week, or night, however you prefer it.

    Again, maybe different preferences. Though, in all honesty, I find it incredibly hard to believe that most i-bankers are big pimps/players. I'm sure some live a cool, bachelor, player lifestyle, but I imagine some would still have a hard time pulling that off, despite their salary.