A new year is upon us and it's time to think about all the different aspects of our lives that could use some serious improvement. Like many people, I'm realizing that there's many things that require some attention, especially in my professional life (isn't there always?) and so some resolutions are in order. As others have noted, it's important to keep your resolutions simple and concise so they're easy to follow. So, in order to best keep myself on track, I thought I'd share with the WSO community my goals for 2013:
- Network: I'm awful at networking. Painfully awful. It's not that I'm bad with people per se, but I'm pretty bad at getting out there and networking. I tend to blame this on not "knowing" how to network, but this is a nonsense rationalization. So, for 2013, my networking goal is to attend 2 CFA events (either as an attendee or a volunteer) and meet a new person at each one.
- Write a Decent Equity Research Report: I've given this a couple of tries, and thanks to the help of commenters, it's gone from "completely worthless garbage" to "not good". A huge leap but not quite to the point of "decent" which will take much much longer. Thanks again to everyone who's taken a look, although I'm wondering what to bribe everyone with now that I've tried "beer" and "scotch"...
- Trade More Actively: Like many people on this site, I have my own personal account, but sadly, mine hasn't gotten nearly enough attention. I'm currently sitting on an awfully conservative portfolio consisting primarily of dividend paying stocks which, while it's treated me well, by taking such a passive approach I've robbed myself of great learning opportunities that are found from researching new companies and sectors and being a more active trader.
- Clean Up My Resume: This should probably be a standing resolution. I don't know many people who have perfect resumes and mine is no exception. After being in my position for the better part of a decade, some spring cleaning on my resume is in order. In fact, I've seen the light and I might have to scrounge up $199 to get it looked at by someone here at WSO.
- Get to the Gym: Yep, I think we all could use some time at the gym. I used to be in great shape, then I was in good shape, and now "meh" shape. I started this yesterday, taking my own advise by trying out a tabata protocol of my own.
I have high hopes for 2013, and these all look very doable. How about all of your monkeys? What do you think of these resolutions? If you haven't already noted your resolutions, what are yours?