2020 ADC/APD Summer Programs/Full-Time Applications Thread

Applications are starting up so figured I'd set up a thread so people could ask questions or share updates as they prepare for recruiting season. Giving back to the community I lurked a few years ago. Combined the threads this time.

Edit: It wouldn't let me post links to the programs and previous threads because I'm a new user, but will update with them when I can.

Summer Programs:

Other firms that hire PhDs include:

• EY-Parthenon

• LEK

• Health Advances

• Navigant

• ZS

• IQVIA

• CBPartners

• Cello Health Bioconsulting

• Comment if I'm missing some

Link to Past Threads:

• 2019 Full-Time | 2019 Summer Programs

• 2018 Full-Time | 2018 Summer Programs

• 2017 Full-Time | 2017 Summer Programs

• 2016 Full-Time | 2016 Summer Programs

• 2015 Summer Programs

FYI I just heard from ADvantage today (case interview workshop invitation, Boston) so don't be discouraged if you didn't hear last week/a couple days ago as some have in this group. Sounds like it must not be an 'all at once' invitation per office location then.

Not sure, but people have heard from NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Toronto, and Austin. Sounds like different offices operate on their own timelines though.

I had a similar experience. Task 1 was quite easy but since they recommended you spend half the test time on that task, I really took my time and assumed the rest of the test would be similar. Task 2 was also fine. But Task 3 I found a bit more difficult than the first two, and had less time than what they recommended. I also got a bit confused about a specific part of it and that made me scramble to finish and I submitted an incomplete answer. I'm worried this will cause me to not even get a FIT interview. Oh well, can't do anything about it now! Good thing BCG/Bain don't use the same test. Imbellus apparently wants to replace the SAT/ACT/GRE/etc. I would say they need to improve their product quite a bit before that becomes a reality!

Depends on the office - here is what I have scavenged so far as of today (4/7)

• Atlanta - Case workshop invitations, No interview invitations
  • Boston - Case workshop invitations, No interview invitations
  • Chicago – Case workshop invitations, No interview invitations
  • Austin/Dallas/Houston (hosted in Dallas) - Case workshop invitations, some direct to interview
  • New York – No case workshop, direct to interview
  • San Francisco/Silicon Valley – Case workshop invitations, No interview invitations
  • Toronto - No case workshop, direct to interview
  • Washington, DC – Unknown
  • Asia-Pacific (APAC) - Unknown

I asked this question during a Bain recruitment event. They said that if you fail the interview to get into ADvantage, you can reapply for the full time positions. This is the same for McK Insight and Bridge to BCG. In fact if you are selected to interview for Insight and get rejected, McK fast tracks your full time interview to July.

BUT, if you get accepted to ADvantage and fail the final round interview at the end of the week, you cannot reapply until the cool down period is over.

A new user here.

I applied to Insight, Bridge, and ADvantage and just wanted to find out if anyone has any updates on Chicago offices.

For me: I just received an email from BCG that my application is now complete and they will let me know the status by early May. I'm not sure if it simply means that they haven't made decisions yet or I should just proceed as if I am rejected.

For Bain, I know people have gotten invitations to case workshops in Chicago but unfortunately that was not the case for me. However, I haven't gotten a rejection email either and I know for some offices people get invited straight to interviews. I don't know if that's also the case for Chicago office but I do not have high hopes.

For McKinsey, I haven't heard back after the Imbellus test and I was expecting to hear back (either good or bad) by end of this week.

BCG: Why would that mean anything other than what they are saying?

Bain: Offers were extended and you didn’t get one is a bad sign

McK: It’s been 3 days since the deadline.

Breath a little. Get some fresh air and work on some cases/skills. Nothing you can do at this point beyond bettering yourself.

I just did the Chicago case workshop for Bain. We were told that the workshop was for them to give an extra chance to some applicants that they find promising, for them to connect to some consultants and ask questions and get to practice a Bain-specific case. If you didn’t get invited to it it doesn’t guarantee you’ll be rejected at least that’s what it seems from what they said. I have not heard anything from McK/BCG for Chicago either. BCG’s email was just to let us know we don’t need to do anything else and our application is complete, it’s not a rejection, we hear back in May.

Congrats to everyone! Just got an invite from McKinsey South (Atlanta) as well. For those interested, I don't think the Imbellus score was heavily weighted because I felt absolutely awful about it. I knew that my answer to the first part was not correct but had to submit anyway to leave time for the rest. 2nd part was fine. I wasn't able to finish the third part and didn't even submit an answer. It's uncertain how everything is scored but I'm sure I was not even in the top 50% of scores.

Most Helpful

Just got a reply back from Bain AD Recruiting after asking about the Case Interview Workshop. Should be useful information for everyone here:

"Thanks for reaching out! Our case interview workshop is separate from our ADvantage internship so no worries on that front. We are finalizing decisions/reviews in all offices this week and anticipate that all candidates will get an update on their application by next week, latest. Thanks for your patience and hope you’re doing well."

Just got out of the Bain crack the case workshop and they basically echoed this sentiment. They said that they were finishing up decisions by the end of the week and that we will hear back by the end of next week at the latest. They were delayed in decisions due to the COVID situation. I also asked about FT recruiting, and they mentioned that we should prepare for the possibility for them to be over Zoom (First round = 2 cases, second round = 2 cases 1 fit). They also stressed that ADvantage is extremely competitive and that if we do not get it, we should not be deterred at all from applying full time. Don't get discouraged!

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting a FT interview to Bain if we didn't get into ADvantage? I have heard that unlike McKinsey and BCG, they do most of their hiring through the ADvantage program.

Also, does anyone know if there is a best strategy for putting office preferences? I am willing to live anywhere in the US, and think maybe I should have taken a better approach to choosing offices to target.

I know someone who did ADvantage last year. There were 5 total ADvantage interns in their office, 4/5 got FT offers. Seems very unlikely that they'd only rely on this small pool for all advanced degree hiring for the next year.

No idea about office preferences..

Unfortunately, I wasn't selected for any of the summer programs despite being an engineering PhD at a target school with a number of papers, many years of leadership experience and business coursework. I even had my applications reviewed by MBB consultants.

Can those who were selected in summer programs provide some perspectives about what I can do differently for full-time recruiting?

First don't feel discouraged! On the brighter side, you have more time to polish your case skills! Summer programs are usually more competitive than FT. My advice is that 1. keep networking/maintain relationships with your connections at each firm. 2. Eventually it is a numbers game so keep applying, don't just limit yourself to MBB. Using interviews at smaller firms as an opportunity to prep for the MBB ones. 3. Have a back up plan! Given this year's situation, head counts might be very limited. So definitely think about other options as well.

I don't have a good answer but can maybe offer some perspective: Bain told a number of their ADvantage interns that they couldn't give them a yes or a no (after their final interview). They have to wait until the end of August. I think this is the same type of situation: your application looks good, but they're not sure how many people they'll be able to give an offer to yet, so they put some on the waitlist and will get to it after the regular application cycle, if they decide that they're able to make more offers. It's tough because they had to give FT offers to 100% of their undergrad/MBA summer interns this year, so less spots are available.

Hi guys, hang in there! It is a tough time ( from now on to maybe December), but you are not alone. We will get a good offer, soon or later. If we are determined to get into this industry, we will. One year later, we will appreciate all the efforts we spent now.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (588) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (345) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (190) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”