2025 Exchange Student Advice

Hello fellow monkeys,
I made a similar post on the Investment Banking forum, but thought to get advice here as well if possible.
I had some questions regarding maximising my stay in the US given that I am from the UK. This community has been of great help in guiding me throughout my career search, your help here is also greatly appreciated.
For context: I am from a UK semi-target university (think Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol etc...) and was recently accepted into an Exchange Year Programme at Cornell University for 2025, interested in pursuing investment banking. Below are some questions I have:

1. I was wondering how consulting firms recruit/ what their recruitment timeline is like. Additionally, should I start applying to IB internships despite not being at the university yet given that they are open already?
  2. To make the most of my time at Cornell, what clubs do you recommend me to join, where could I find out more information about them, and how could I join as an exchange student?
  3. I have heard that networking is crucial in the US, should I start reaching out to students and graduates at Cornell? 
  4. To any US exchange student from the UK, what tips could you share for making the most of your time abroad?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read :)

Hello there!

First off, congratulations on your acceptance into the Exchange Year Programme at Cornell University for 2025! That's an incredible opportunity, especially for someone interested in pursuing investment banking. Based on the most helpful WSO content and threads, here are some insights and advice that might help you maximize your stay in the US:

1. Recruitment Timeline for Consulting Firms and IB Internships: Consulting firms and investment banks often have early recruitment timelines, sometimes a year in advance for summer internships. It would be wise to start applying to IB internships as soon as possible, even if you haven't started at the university yet. Keep an eye on the career pages of the firms you're interested in and LinkedIn for any updates on recruitment timelines.

2. Clubs and Organizations at Cornell: Joining clubs is a fantastic way to network, learn, and enhance your resume. For someone interested in investment banking, consider joining finance or investment clubs. Cornell likely has a finance club, an investment banking club, or a student-run investment fund. These organizations can provide practical experience and networking opportunities. For more information about them, check Cornell's official website or student affairs office. They should have a list of student organizations, including how to join as an exchange student.

3. Networking in the US: Networking is indeed crucial in the US, especially in fields like investment banking. Start reaching out to students and graduates at Cornell as soon as you can. LinkedIn is a great platform for this. Look for Cornell alumni groups or finance/investment banking groups associated with Cornell. Don't hesitate to introduce yourself, mention your exchange program, and express your interest in investment banking. People are often willing to help or provide advice.

4. Tips for Making the Most of Your Time Abroad: Embrace every opportunity to learn and grow, both academically and personally. Attend networking events, workshops, and speaker sessions. Explore different areas of finance and investment banking through clubs and internships. Also, immerse yourself in the local culture and travel within the US if you can. This will not only enrich your experience but also give you a broader perspective.

Remember, your time at Cornell is not just about academics and career preparation; it's also about personal growth and making lifelong connections. Make the most of it!

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck on your exciting journey ahead!

Sources: One day to decide: US or UK?, Working Abroad - Regrets/Benefits, Six things I have learned after joining a top business school - Part Two, US Students applying to London spring weeks?, 5 Steps To Becoming A Rockstar Freshman (Undergrad Advice)

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Ahoy there, future finance navigator! Welcome to the grand adventure of crossing the pond for your exchange year at Cornell University in 2025. As Max the Monkey, I'm here to swing through the vines of wisdom and drop some golden bananas of advice your way. Let's peel into your questions:

1. Consulting Firms Recruitment & IB Internships: In the jungle of investment banking and consulting, timing is everything. Consulting firms typically have a structured recruitment timeline, often starting in the fall for summer internships the following year. For investment banking, the timeline can be even earlier, with applications opening and closing a year in advance. My advice? Start applying to IB internships now, even before you set foot at Cornell. The early monkey gets the bananas, after all. Keep an eye on both industries' recruitment timelines through their career pages and networking.

2. Maximizing Time at Cornell: Cornell is a treasure trove of clubs and organizations, especially for an aspiring investment banker. Look into joining finance or investment clubs, such as the Cornell Investment Banking Club or the Cornell Finance Club. These clubs are not only a goldmine for learning and development but also for networking. Information about these clubs can usually be found on the university's website or through social media platforms. As an exchange student, you should be able to join these clubs by attending their introductory meetings or reaching out to the club officers directly.

3. Networking in the US: Absolutely, start reaching out! Networking is the compass that will guide you through the stormy seas of finance. Connect with both current students and alumni through LinkedIn, and don't hesitate to attend networking events, career fairs, and club meetings. Be genuine in your interactions, and express your enthusiasm for learning and contributing to the community.

4. Tips for US Exchange Students from the UK: Embrace every opportunity and challenge as a learning experience. The US, with its diverse culture and vast professional landscape, offers a unique adventure. Be open to new experiences, whether it's joining clubs, attending networking events, or exploring new cities. Remember, it's not just about building a professional network but also about personal growth and creating lifelong memories.

Remember, your time at Cornell is not just a stepping stone but a launchpad. Make the most of it, both academically and socially. And who knows? Maybe you'll find yourself swinging from the skyscrapers of Wall Street sooner than you think.

Best of luck, and may your exchange year be filled with success, learning, and unforgettable adventures!

Sources: One day to decide: US or UK?, Six things I have learned after joining a top business school - Part Two, Working Abroad - Regrets/Benefits, 5 Steps To Becoming A Rockstar Freshman (Undergrad Advice), US Students applying to London spring weeks?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Super cool opportunity, well done on landing it. Bumping as I'm interested in finding out too!

Qui dolore accusantium quis itaque doloremque aspernatur. Et quia recusandae ut esse molestias deleniti.

Excepturi dolores illo a enim quas. Et distinctio fugit non cupiditate quaerat occaecati. Dolorem cum quaerat et tenetur. Nobis quia vero a eaque officia ipsum delectus. Commodi maiores quia qui occaecati eius nemo ipsa. Non voluptatem quia autem est voluptates sed deserunt molestiae. Rem dolor sed quia ad doloribus.

Dolor saepe illo facilis voluptas odio soluta quis est. Numquam ut dolores qui. Pariatur labore est officiis est. Amet et qui corporis ab nobis quo molestias suscipit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”