asking for an extension from one MBB to finish interviewing with another

^title, asking for a friend in this situation. they have an offer for one MBB and a final round with another. the MBB with the offer is their top choice, but they're not sure if it would be bad practice to ask for an extension from the first MBB just to meet more people at the second MBB and learn more about the firm.

Comments (10)

Aug 15, 2022 - 10:20am
DrApeman, what's your opinion? Comment below:

I have asked for later dates when possible in my interview rounds, that's not too uncommon I think (stuff comes up). However, if they say no (for whatever reason), then your friend needs to be ready to go on that day.

Also, I would not mention that as the reason why. Your friend just needs to say he has a scheduling conflict on that day and ask for a later date.

Aug 15, 2022 - 10:25am
orangebananablueberry, what's your opinion? Comment below:

sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post - my friend already has an offer from one (not interviewing anymore), but has a final round next week with another MBB. they're wondering if they should ask for an offer extension to finish interviewing for the other MBB

Aug 15, 2022 - 12:02pm
DrApeman, what's your opinion? Comment below:

They wish to get an extension on the offer acceptance deadline?

In my experience they can ask, but the chances of success for that are not high. I know I had 1 week to accept my offer and given the volume of applicants and my start class size, I easily would have been replaced with someone more eager.

I would not jeopardise an offer for an unrealised "maybe" (personally). That's my approach anyway.

Aug 15, 2022 - 12:29pm
orangebananablueberry, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Would there be any downsides of asking, even if the request is rejected and they have to accept before the regular deadline?

Most Helpful
Aug 15, 2022 - 12:53pm
DrApeman, what's your opinion? Comment below:

As always, depends on the reason.

Answer

If your friend asks for it saying they want more time to think, they're not stupid, they'll figure out what it means. The offer would not be rescinded (I seriously doubt it), but the recruiter might doubt their commitment to the firm (which could be written somewhere later).

If your friend asks, saying they are currently very busy on multiple projects / exams / health-related emergency, that's a different situation. They might still ask for a definite decision by the deadline, but they wouldn't hold it over their head.

Opinion

Also, I am pretty sure your friend has the internet, so they should ask this themselves. If this is really you, then perhaps you might want to rethink your commitment to the firm you applied to and your desire to become a consultant. It is understandable to try to make the best decision possible, but holding off for an ever distant possible "better future" does not show a great deal of decisiveness. You already made that "best decision possible" by applying to MBB. This is good enough.

Any MBB will yield a great career, great experiences, and great exits. At this stage this is like splitting hairs between a navy blue shirt and a slightly lighter navy blue shirt. Just pick the one you're given and stop living in a world of "What ifs".

Edit: I do apologise for getting preachy, but to me this is taking unnecessary risk for no good reason when they already did the hard part, i.e. get an MBB offer.

Aug 15, 2022 - 10:53am
yfqmj6, what's your opinion? Comment below:

That is totally acceptable. They don't even have to explain the specific reason for requesting an extension, just sth like need more time to consider.

Aug 16, 2022 - 11:24am
kindheartedconsultant, what's your opinion? Comment below:

He already has his top choice offer? Then take it. When I got the Bain offer, I cancelled my final rounds everywhere else because I knew I wouldn't take them--no reason to drag anyone else along.

Remember, always be kind-hearted.
  • 1
Aug 16, 2022 - 11:34am
DrApeman, what's your opinion? Comment below:

That's a good point, I completely skipped that part about it being their top choice. This comment is 100% accurate.

I did the exact same thing when I got my Bain offer. I cancelled my Round 2 with BCG the following week. I knew I wanted Bain more (and I also had my top office choice). It was a no brainer.

  • Intern in IB - Cov
Aug 16, 2022 - 2:44pm

Hic reprehenderit voluptates ut hic sunt est aliquid impedit. Facere a et sint nisi incidunt sit. Aut magni molestias occaecati omnis.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2022 Consulting

  • Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.8%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2022 Consulting

  • Cornerstone Research 99.4%
  • Bain & Company 98.8%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2022 Consulting

  • Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.8%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2022 Consulting

  • Partner (4) $368
  • Director/MD (51) $269
  • Principal (24) $267
  • Vice President (43) $246
  • Engagement Manager (88) $221
  • Manager (141) $168
  • 2nd Year Associate (141) $139
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (103) $130
  • Senior Consultant (305) $129
  • 1st Year Associate (496) $117
  • Consultant (548) $116
  • Engineer (4) $110
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (129) $110
  • NA (12) $109
  • 2nd Year Analyst (289) $98
  • Associate Consultant (154) $96
  • 1st Year Analyst (955) $85
  • Intern/Summer Associate (162) $81
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (455) $67