BB underwriting intern 2024 --> MBB/T2 summer 2025 possible?

Didn't receive internship offers in anything except for a credit underwriting role at a BB. Want to land consulting at MBB or T2 hopefully next summer.

Will my underwriting internship hurt? Struggling to see how I can build a story as I don't see how underwriting necessarily has any transferrable skills to consulting. Anyone have any insights if i am wrong or advice on how I can strengthen my story?

Based on the most helpful WSO content, pivoting from a credit underwriting role at a BB to consulting at MBB or T2 is definitely possible, but it will require a strategic approach. Here are some insights and advice on how to strengthen your story and make the transition:

1. Highlight Transferable Skills: Even though credit underwriting and consulting are different, there are transferable skills such as analytical thinking, risk assessment, attention to detail, and financial acumen. Emphasize these in your story.

2. Networking: Start building relationships with people in the consulting industry. Attend events, reach out to alumni, and connect with professionals on LinkedIn. Networking can often lead to referrals, which are incredibly valuable in consulting recruitment.

3. Consulting Case Prep: Begin preparing for consulting interviews by practicing case studies. This will not only improve your skills but also demonstrate your commitment to transitioning into the consulting field.

4. Extracurricular Involvement: Get involved in consulting clubs or case competitions at your school. This shows interest and initiative in the field of consulting.

5. Frame Your Experience: When discussing your underwriting internship, focus on how it gave you a solid foundation in understanding business and financial risks, which is relevant to consulting where you often have to evaluate the implications of strategic decisions.

6. Learn the Lingo: Familiarize yourself with consulting terminology and frameworks. This will help you communicate more effectively with consultants during networking and interviews.

7. Seek Mentorship: Find a mentor who has made a similar transition. They can provide valuable guidance and potentially advocate for you.

8. Tailor Your Resume and Cover Letter: Make sure your resume and cover letter are tailored to consulting roles, highlighting the most relevant aspects of your underwriting experience.

Remember, it's about crafting a narrative that connects your past experiences with your future aspirations in consulting. Show how your unique background can bring a different perspective to the consulting world.

Sources: Junior Year Summer - Will Tech Internship Hurt Me?, Did my GPA screw up my application?, Q&A - Left First Undergrad with Sub 2.0 GPA====>Booth MBA/"Tier 2" Consulting, Please help: Got an MBB offer but worried I'm not qualified

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Glad to hear. Would you be willing to elaborate a little more about your background? Did you have other really strong experiences on your resume when applying? A good network? Etc.? Trying to see how you spun BB ops into consulting and how much that came up during interviews.

Just have an impact where you work and that’s all that matters.

there are kids who did software engineering, art, premedical research and so on who all get interviews.

you just need to show u had the core traits like collaboration, impact, communication etc. 

networking doesn’t rlly matter unless u get a partner-ish level referral. It helps for the why this firm a lot though which is an important question 

Distinctio voluptatem aut porro molestias. Odit reprehenderit et nihil assumenda. Iste omnis vel non et possimus autem dolorem. Quidem et non aut beatae culpa qui. Tempora est ut quos atque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”