Just got my powerday for BA Internship. If anyone has any specific resources for the interviews, I'd appreciate it. In R1, I struggled with setting up the quantitative equations the most rather than the qualitative parts.

Hey there — good luck with the Powerday! I
thought that I totally bombed one of the cases but ended up getting an offer.

The Product Interview is pretty fun and consists of two sections. One will ask you for 10 ways to improve a household item (i.e. what are 10 ways to improve an umbrella) and explain your thinking for each. Second, you’ll have a conversation about ways to improve your favorite digital product (you can choose which app/product).

My first case was way more quantitative than I was prepared for. Be sure to be comfortable with systems of equations (which I totally forgot how to do, lol) and complicated breakevens. I’d recommend googling a bunch of practice questions re the aforementioned.

The second case was super standard and not too hard — best of luck!

Capital One over-hired in earlier rounds and are pushing back on their start dates and limiting offers from Power Days. I have a friend who mentioned the strategy associate position start was pushed to 2025 for the most recent Power Day, similar with BA.

Not sure that is accurate, at least for BA's. I've heard nothing internally about such a change and we just started going through the second batch of applications that came in through the posting we put back up a few weeks ago for both full-time and internship. We wouldn't have re-posted the opening if the August start date was full, February is really just supposed to be kinda small and just for people who are graduating off-cycle in winter and don't want to wait 8 months to start.

I can't comment on Strategy, not involved in their process, it might be that some people are getting Feb 2025 start date offers though if the August start date is truly full. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Makes sense. I am 100% sure that the strategy associate position is being pushed back to 2025 since I saw the email. My friend mentioned that his BA application would most likely be effected as well but can't confirm anything on that front. If you are internal in BA then you probably have a better lens then me.

Most Helpful

Ah, we didn't repost the Strat position as I recall so that makes more sense. Intuitively I think we also have more capacity restraints for Strategy than BA. If we overhire in BA we could just ask teams to take on additional associates, and even if we doubled the existing hiring plan there would probably still be BA teams without a first or second year ADP on them. The budget for new college hires is also handled separately from the team at large so it has no real impact on team budget planning. The BA world also has a lot of people, both people leaders and senior IC's, who are able to help with the development of associates. Strategy in contrast is much smaller, so there is a more real limit to the number of associates that could be onboarded at once before it becomes more of a resource drain and negative experience for the Strat associate class as a whole. Not to say the Strat world is lacking in this regard, far from it there are some insanely talented people there, it is just smaller so there is less capacity to have meaningful manger/employee and mentor/mentee relations if they increased the class size too much & too fast. The strat world works on interesting projects, but the problem of too many cooks in the kitchen becomes reality there faster than in the BA world.

If I hear anything different on the BA front I'll update this thread.

How easy is it to switch from the McLean office for internship to the NYC office for fulltime? Also, is it possible to switch from BA to strategy if you interview well?

Its possible after the 1 year mark. It can either be done via the ADP program before rotation (this varies from year-to-year, availability, and business needs. Last year it was allowed, this year it wasn't.) It can also be done after the 1 year mark after you rotated, in which case it is handled by your second rotation team's lob. If you want to make it happen just highly prioritize roles on teams and in orgs with a solid NYC presence.

How often are powerdays? I submitted my R1 around a week ago and have been invited to meet with a Capital One Buddy and Executive. Is there a long turnaround between R1s and Power Days, or does it vary?

Sit aliquam sint aut error. Quaerat quas odio saepe. Vel commodi mollitia delectus esse autem.

Eos officia possimus eius vel tenetur. Id odit cum iure quis debitis ipsum et.

Repellat fuga sed eveniet non voluptatem. Suscipit deserunt natus fugiat voluptas nisi. Magnam reiciendis eos repellendus qui praesentium nesciunt occaecati. Impedit quam est quis ipsam.

Quibusdam libero tempora et voluptatibus tenetur. Quibusdam quaerat velit non. Omnis tempora quas nam nihil.

Eos ipsam pariatur aut occaecati nemo. Ea non distinctio ut. Dolore non fugiat odit enim est at molestiae sapiente. Voluptas numquam architecto quo sapiente voluptatibus.

Et ex dignissimos vel. Voluptatibus eligendi sunt et. Ex necessitatibus eaque dolores nesciunt. Dolorem et quis voluptatibus rerum eligendi. Illo perspiciatis et perspiciatis dignissimos quo facere aut ut. Et inventore eos nemo officiis.

Ut ratione expedita cupiditate sint. Quo maiores quos animi est iusto aperiam. Neque velit incidunt non nemo numquam numquam incidunt animi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”