F100 Finance Internship - Which Department to Choose?

I have an offer to work at a F100 tech company and was given a list of the departments that are available to interns and was told I could pick mine. The list is as follows:
· I/T Finance
· Commercial Sales Finance
· Consumer Sales Finance
· End User Computing / Client Finance
· Enterprise Solutions Group Finance
· Facilities Finance
· Financial Services
· Global Audit and Transformation
· Global Financial Services
· Global Operations
· Services Finance
· Software Finance
· Treasury

Goals: I want to intern in a department that will allow me to do relevant, intellectually-stimulating work. Want to ultimately work in a strategy driven department (FP&A, corpdev,etc.). Want to give myself options for next year's recruiting in case I hate corporate finance (other finance jobs, IBD, etc.). Long-term want to work in a department that is appealing to MBA admissions.

Thanks guys

9 Comments
 

Treasury is probably the most preftigious. But I'd go with something that sounds interesting. Like Global Financial Services, that sounds kind of cool. Why don't you ask some folks who work there and get a gauge of what you think you'd like? Interns don't really do anything anyway.

Congrats on the offer.

 

If the company has a large emphasis on software, I'd definitely go for Software Finance. If it's an enterprise software company I'd go Enterprise Solutions Group Finance. Essentially I'd lean towards that company's specialty.

If those points aren't valid, I'd go: · Commercial Sales Finance · Consumer Sales Finance

Treasury could be an interesting option, but given your goals I would probably go another route.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy
 

Accountingbyday, I appreciate the response but can you please elaborate a little bit? Software is not a large emphasis with this company, so that rules out the first two. Which specific goals of mine does treasury not address that Commercial and Consumer Sales Finance do?

 

If your goal is FP&A or corp Dev, treasury is not related to those at all. Treasury can be cool depending on what you like, but it's largely dissociated from the company's products/strategy.

Baes on your stated goals, you want to be as close to the products and strategy as possible. For example, if you're working at Apple doing a finance internship in the iPhone or iPad divisions should be right at the top or your list.

GoIllini's suggestion of operations is a good one - operations is pretty important most places.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss specifics.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy
 
Best Response
accountingbyday

If your goal is FP&A or corp Dev, treasury is not related to those at all. Treasury can be cool depending on what you like, but it's largely dissociated from the company's products/strategy.

Baes on your stated goals, you want to be as close to the products and strategy as possible. For example, if you're working at Apple doing a finance internship in the iPhone or iPad divisions should be right at the top or your list.

GoIllini's suggestion of operations is a good one - operations is pretty important most places.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss specifics.

Apple has different divisions? I thought all their products were the same, the only thing that changes is the size of the screen?

 

Maiores deserunt aut quo suscipit. Consequatur qui aut quis sapiente vel eum. Quisquam debitis non cumque aut magni quam. Cumque qui aut sit velit animi. Excepturi a aut consectetur minus. Et occaecati facere quo aut eligendi. Sed tenetur cum est velit consectetur numquam laboriosam debitis.

Quam aut sed incidunt. Mollitia minus eos unde autem. Aliquid ex beatae temporibus in. Esse sed nisi ea rerum asperiores.

At tenetur eum minima a quisquam molestiae. Tenetur commodi vero consectetur tempora est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”