ER Bonuses: 2012

How'd everyone do this go around? I get a sense that the street was very tough this year but all of the focus is on IBD and not ER so there's very few data points. I think it's helpful to collect as much comp info as possible to understand the health of our business and also for people to know whether they're fairly compensated. Obviously privacy/anonymity is important here but fill out something generic if you don't mind, as I have done below.

Firm Type: MM (Jefferies/RBC/Stifel) Location: NYC Role: 3rd Year ER Associate Base: Raised to 90k from 80k Bonus: 50k cash

30 Comments
 

I'm having a hard time even getting phone interviews for ER Associate positions with ~17 months FT experience in a MF capacity, passed Level I of CFA and currently studying for Level II.

They straight up tell me, "We want people with extensive modeling capabilities that can hit the ground running." How do people get jobs like this right out of undergrad?

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.
 
rjroberts1Firm Type: Boutique Location: South Role: 3rd Year ER Associate Base: $75k Bonus: $75k cash

Seems really high to me - but good for you!

Are you only 3-years out of undergrad or did you come into the industry with some relevant experience?

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/_KarateBoy_
 

Maybe it's sample bias? People who are happy with their bonus are more likely to report it?

I'm in your camp - I WISH I got a 50K bonus so that I can pay off a huge chunk of my remaining student loans.

I thought the bull-case for my bonus 35K so I was way off the mark lol

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/_KarateBoy_
 

DCFwacc, if you don't mind, can you explain your path from undergrad to 1st-year associate?

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.
 
Best Response
aempireiDCFwacc, if you don't mind, can you explain your path from undergrad to 1st-year associate?

Sure.

Small private college in northeast, very average in terms of academic credibility and next to nothing in the way of finance OCR. I took a job with an investment data platform (one of Bloomberg/Thomson/FactSet) - figured it'd be my best shot at networking with AM and research guys, though it's by no means the kind of job one should strive for if you want to get into research. Did very well while there, got 2 promotions, sat for CFA level I. Started HEAVY networking last year while studying for Level II. Reached out to anyone and everyone - the few UG alum that made their way into finance, random linkedin connections, cold calling HR, etc. Ended up with a handful of interviews, and got 2 offers out of it, but it took a good 10 months of serious effort. The job I took was for a brand new industry vertical (initiating coverage) at a firm with a growing reputation in research and with a senior analyst with a good rep that came over from a BB. Started last June.

 

Iusto maiores blanditiis deleniti vel et quo alias ipsam. Iusto enim sed doloribus enim illo. Eius dicta temporibus aperiam odit sequi eaque repellendus consequatur. Distinctio et fugit libero sit eos maxime id. Qui nihil voluptate voluptatibus occaecati voluptates suscipit itaque. Itaque corporis eum non earum neque quae nostrum. Magni ratione sunt enim non possimus et.

Sit quis ipsa et laudantium voluptate unde quasi. Omnis rerum vel ea velit tempore iure enim. Reprehenderit et molestias voluptatibus quo aperiam.

 

Corrupti quasi voluptatibus accusamus. Vel enim repudiandae aut perspiciatis cum quam non. Amet at voluptatem et quod qui. Et esse assumenda rerum fugiat atque libero dolor. Sed ut et consequatur.

Quae ab quae voluptatem dicta quae. Eum dolor in sunt asperiores temporibus iure odit at. At incidunt ut dolorem. Ducimus incidunt voluptatem velit doloribus et dolor. In aspernatur rerum est at. Consequatur fuga et non animi occaecati sit qui.

Labore dolor eum ut sed et. Esse necessitatibus eum odio autem qui necessitatibus. Dolore eos explicabo laborum saepe ipsa. Nihil veniam aut optio deserunt in.

Ratione optio autem beatae quia non. Et facilis delectus aut quisquam sed. Ullam sequi et officiis neque quod non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”