Most Helpful

Former associate at Wolfe, my advice for the internship is that there is a strong chance that the group you intern with may not be the group you go back to.

But would recommend anything in industrials (Rod Lache, Myles Walton, Scott Group, Nigel Coe) and the Tech piece of TMT (Alex Zukin, Josh Tilton, Deepak Mathivanan, Darrin Peller). All of the other groups have top ranked analysts, but the overall skillset and experience might not be as transferable or broad. For example, Greg Badashkanian is the best consumer analyst on the street, but the skills that you'll develop in his group are more qualitative and are better for if you want to be a career sell-sider. Justin Lake is the best healthcare analyst on the street, but rougher culture within the group. Steve Chubak is the best financials analyst on the street, but may pigeonhole you and the skills aren't as transferable.

All of those groups are great and you'll get to learn a lot, but just some considerations to think about. And you'll have any HF exits from any group, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Are you forgetting about the goat - Justin Lake in healthcare services?!

wasn't he #3 in II when he last worked in ER? Didn't realize that was the best

Former associate here. Would recommend avoiding Wolfe, but it sounds like you’re locked in for this summer. Don’t listen to the IB intern who claims to be a former associate—clearly they never had a beer with any of the other Wolfe associates after work. 

Alex Zukin, Steven Chubak, Sam Margolin and Truman Patterson are a few of the coolest bosses to have. I don’t remember speaking with any of Chubak’s associates, but from what I’ve seen he is chill. Peter Supino is probably chill. He played football in college so I doubt you would be working 100-hour weeks.

Rod Lache is an asshole (he even treats his former associates who are now clients like shit). Shreyas never seemed very friendly either. Hunter Keay is gone now but he was an asshole. Nigel Coe was fired from JPM for sexual harassment…do you really want to work for some weirdo who grabs a girl’s ass at a holiday party after 3 beers? Timna Tanners was tough to work for a couple years ago but may have gotten better as her team had some turnover and she eased up. Don’t know enough about Scott Group or Myles Walton. Steve Fleischman is probably nicer than average to work for. His SVP Michael is nice. Fleischman’s son is an associate on a different team, or he used to be.

Justin Lake goes through 5 associates every year and somehow nothing has changed. You’d have to guarantee me $1mm to accept that job because it’s a guaranteed 3-6 month associate stint and you exit with depression and no job. Would be funny if he got sued, but I don’t see that happening.

Greg Badishkanian’s associates are worked to death and look like they would rather be in hell.

Mgmt-

Jesse Bigelow is an asshole and such a fucking loser. There isn’t a single associate who likes him. He likes to interview candidates on Sundays to test how much of a bitch they are willing to be. He also has a noteworthy criminal record from what I have been told.

Ed Wolfe is similarly disliked, and he loves to remind everyone he is the CEO.

Kim Manis is a saint.

If you managed to get an internship at Wolfe, work hard over the summer for a return offer and you will be able to find a full time offer from another top firm that will pay you better, has better job security and has a 401k match (your first hint that they are cheap). Only join Wolfe full time if you are assigned to an analyst you have worked with and like + their former associates are doing well.

My title, is so I can stay anonymous. I actually worked at Wolfe and I'm sorry that you had an awful experience. Alex Zukin and Truman Patterson don't work in NYC. I didn't say Chubak because financials pigeonholes your skillset. Sam Margolin isn't ranked and not a good sector overall to work in. Peter Supino isn't ranked and quiet frankly his research isn't good, especially compared to other media and telecom sell-siders, would never choose his work off moffettnathanson. He also doesn't work in NYC, but his group does. I'm not going to comment on the litany of unsubstantiated things you've claimed, but Nigel Coe never worked at MS and yes, there is an article about that, but during my time there, he was considered a top group to work for and everyone had great things to say about him, but I didn't work in the group. It was actually pretty common to see his former associates at after hours work events.

From your disgruntled post, it seems like you worked with Timna or Lake, which might give you a pretty jaded view. Have heard Timna was a bit of a hard ass, but during my time at the firm, that group leaves the office at 5 on the dot and gets in closer to 8am. Sorry that your experience was shitty, but that was far from mine.

Rem beatae minus in porro doloribus praesentium. Nam maxime iste officia occaecati. Architecto sit ut corrupti dolores asperiores consectetur. Voluptas quia rerum esse deserunt asperiores eius. Quibusdam velit id eos rerum et dolores quo.

Expedita blanditiis beatae vel et eveniet voluptatem. Mollitia est asperiores beatae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”