Job Outlook for Hedge Fund Software Developers 2022 and Beyond

I'm a web developer but I'm looking to break into fintech or finance as a front office developer. My goal is to start at a shop and over the years transition from coder to deal-maker or at least work in a capacity where I get a cut of the pie like bankers, traders and principals do. I know quants get paid a lot.

Is this even possible? Please don't reply saying no just because you haven't heard of it. If you don't think it's possible for specific reasons and can back it up, I'm open having to have my dreams crushed by an anonymous buyside MD on the internet. I know people who've gone from no-name "ibanks" to making $500k+ at a bulge bracket just by waiting it out over 10-15 years and collecting niche experience along the way.

My background: 35yr male. Non-target undergrad, Applied Mathematics B.S. I worked in a finance for about 4 years before in operations (Japanese bank) and as client service associate at JPM and UBS where I got my Series 7. My point is I know a little bit about the industry so when replying feel free to use jargon and acronyms. I should understand.

Afterwards I left to get into tech because my job was boring AF. But I want to get back into finance as a dev because I like the culture more than tech and the long term potential for $$$ is greater.

TL;DR How can I become a front office software dev on the buyside and make oodles of money?

Thank you.

A front office dev is a software engineer that works on software used by front office folk in a revenue generating capacity (e.g pricing calculators, trading platforms etc.). The FO dev may or may not sit next to the FO staff. Back office dev is like IT support and building the company intranet or HR portal etc. Quants and risk management devs I'm not sure how they are classified but some quants are for sure front office and they get paid like it. Risk management developers are in a MO function but it's so technical and financial math heavy and close to the FO it may as well be FO in some regards. Except they don't actually generate revenue they just prevent the cowboys from betting the farm.

Most Helpful

At my AM firm, the FO technology folks are not in the FO. They just work on the technology we use. They sit with our technology folks, not the FO. They also get paid like the technology folks not the FO because they are not in a revenue generating capacity.However, their are technical/quantitative people within the FO but they don't just maintain our platforms, they are in a seat that generates revenue directly as quant traders or indirectly as risk/allocation model builders.It's probably different at a quantitative hedge fund where quant devs and quant traders sit side by side which is probably what you are looking for. At 35, it will be close to impossible to get into that seat with your profile. They don't want to train a 35 year old who can't provide alpha generation for another two to three years probably. If I were you, I would try to rise the ranks as an engineering manager/director/executive. It's not FO, but it pays pretty good and fits closer with your profile.

Thx. Unless the tools front office dev builds can replace the front office human beings making the money-making decisions, front office dev, despite the terminology, is not revenue generating so it's not really "front office." 

The only revenue generating piece of technology is the algorithm that helps make money (generate revenue). 

Check out Quantnet for additional information about what it takes to succeed in this space.

You’ll find it probably echoes what’s said here.

Not a lot of seats and those that exist, you’re competing against the literal best of the best.  Even MFEs from good schools aren’t able to find the seats they hoped for...

A quick linkedin search will show you who has these seats at Citadel, HRT etc…. Its inspiring and a bit deflating in equal measure. 

Ipsa voluptas suscipit rerum tempore error possimus. Explicabo incidunt quas reiciendis voluptas et eaque nostrum et. Voluptas corporis dolorem nihil at sed voluptate. Eaque omnis consectetur qui ducimus quis expedita unde. Necessitatibus temporibus vitae quisquam reprehenderit.

Aspernatur doloremque et sed. Quaerat velit labore iure repudiandae est dignissimos voluptatem. Totam voluptatem ut praesentium praesentium aut repellat aut.

Asperiores a voluptates voluptates ut. Corrupti facilis fuga aut.

Aspernatur aut ad provident id veritatis. Libero a quidem molestiae perferendis maxime labore. Eos omnis ut voluptatibus itaque. Labore sequi error voluptas voluptatem enim ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”