Where to recruit SA 2025

I'm a soph at a top target with a 4.0 w/ mostly a SWE background. I'm interested in exploring finance opportunities before I graduate. As the recruiting season approaches, I was a bit lost on which roles to recruit for. For context, I'm not too interested in a traditional BB IB role, but maybe EB

I see a lot of HF names thrown around like P72 academy, citadel CAP program, Weiss, bracebridge etc. For these roles, is networking still as a big a deal as it is for IB? also how would you recommend I prep for recruiting? any books/resources?

At the same time, I see a few peers have worked in the credit space at say Bain capital credit or BX credit. Same questions regarding recruiting?

But more so, I'm wondering what the pros/cons are of pursing a buy side role over say going the traditional path to IB out of undergrad? Is career progression / comp hindered because of this.

Thank you!

Hey there, future finance whiz! It sounds like you're really diving into the deep end of the finance pool, and that's fantastic. Let's break down your questions one by one.

1. Networking for HF roles: Networking is always a good idea, no matter what role you're aiming for. It might not be as crucial as it is for IB, but it can certainly give you an edge. Remember, it's not just about getting your foot in the door, it's also about learning from those who've walked the path before you.

2. Prepping for recruiting: The WSO Courses and WSO Academy are great places to start. They cover a wide range of topics, from Investment Banking Prep to Behavioral Techniques. As for books, "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham is a classic, and "Liar's Poker" by Michael Lewis offers a fascinating look into the world of Wall Street.

3. Credit space roles: The recruiting process for these roles can be quite competitive, so networking and preparation are key. The WSO Networking Guide could be a valuable resource for you.

4. Pros and cons of buy-side roles vs. IB: This is a big question, and the answer depends on what you're looking for in your career. On the buy-side, you might have more immediate exposure to investment decision-making processes, but the career progression might not be as structured as in IB. On the other hand, starting in IB can provide a solid foundation of skills and a clear career path, but the hours can be grueling.

Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all answer here. It's about finding the path that aligns with your goals, interests, and lifestyle. Good luck!

Sources: Banking vs. The Buy-side: 10.5 considerations, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/pros-and-cons-ib-vs-pm?customgpt=1

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

1) Can’t speak on HFs but private credit and private equity groups at big funds like Bain Cap and BX will require just as much networking at banking positions. Do note that there are only a handful of MF PE/PC seats each year (given there are only so many Ban Caps out there and each will only take a few interns if any) compared to the hundreds of spots across the many banks.

2) Recruiting Prep: For EB/PE/Private Credit I would recommend starting with M&I then adding on prep tailored to the industry/group you’re targeting. I found overlevered(dot)com helpful here — tons of EB/PE interview questions posted there, unsure if there’s any credit stuff

3) Career Progression: cross this bridge once you get there. No, you won’t be at any disadvantage by starting your career at BX Credit vs EVR/Moelis.

Thanks for the response! How would you recommend I go about networking at BCC or something bc there's not many people who've done analyst stints there. Most just go from banking right? 

No networking for P72 Academy/CAP type programs. Single manager hedge funds will require it though.

worth noting all the seats you mentioned are more difficult to attain than IB

I see... would you recommend recruiting for IB too then? or is that too much to handle trying to balance all of this. IB is probably a more standard path into these credit and HF roles right? but my dilemma is that idk if I would rather grind IB or just fall back onto a chill FAANG SWE position.

Minima illum recusandae quia inventore. Consequatur voluptas corrupti voluptates eum. Numquam ut quod aut ut et. A molestiae optio architecto autem tempore ipsa.

Sequi incidunt dolore eum accusantium. Perspiciatis omnis non et eum. Qui ipsam eligendi quibusdam odit excepturi similique.

Et beatae deserunt totam. Quos ad natus ullam harum. Rerum praesentium eligendi excepturi. Consequatur voluptatem odio accusantium ut dolorem vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”