This Week in Oil and Gas - 01/22/2016

I plan on posting a weekly discussion topic called "This Week in Oil and Gas" to highlight news of the week (topics well vary). I am open to any suggestions and will hope that other users participate and post their thoughts.

Here we go!

Industry News

Saudi Aramco IPO does NOT include oil reserves

The chairman of Saudi oil giant Saudi Aramco was quoted as saying a possible initial public offering would not include the kingdom’s oil reserves.

Chairman Khalid al-Falih made the comments to Saudi privately owned broadcaster Al-Arabiya in an interview from Davos, Switzerland. The Dubai-based broadcaster reported the comments Sunday. Al-Falih also says the potential share flotation could take place on local or international markets. (FuelFix)

Schlumberger beats estimates...announces more cuts

SLB reported Q4 revenue of $7.7 billion, down 9% sequentially and Q4 earnings dropped 57% to 65 cents a share, beating analyst expectations of 63 cents. During 2015 SLB bought back $2.2 billion in stock and announced a further $10 billion in stock repurchases for 2016.

The 10,000 layoffs which were rumored to have occurred in December have been confirmed, taking total SLB layoffs to 30,000. The service operator continues to face abrupt work cancellation and was the prevailing theme in the earnings release.

Malaysian Bank Rejects All Loan Applications To O&G Workers

Bank Simpanan Nasional has acknowledged an internal policy of rejecting all O&G workers applications for loans and credit cards. This move is being made as a precaution amid the inherent risks in the O&G industry per a statement by the bank.

One Gallon of Milk > Two Gallons of Oil

Crude oil is at a 12-year low and that means it’s even cheaper than milk. The price of one gallon of West Texas Intermediate crude is equivalent to about half a gallon of Class III milk, the benchmark traded on the Chicago futures market. That’s the lowest ratio since 2004 (Bloomberg).

Saudi Arabia unwilling to make space

"We are not going to accept to withdraw our production to make space for others," Saudi Aramco Chairman Khalid al-Falih said during a panel discussion in Davos. Saudi Arabia's production is now at 10.3 M/bpd but is wiling to make some short-term adjustments but only if other nations follow suit.

Offshore Update

Analysts are reporting that the current downturn will be worse than that of the 1980s. Due to CAPEX cuts ultra-deepwater rig utilization are expected to approach 50% by 2018 (currently at 76%). Leading edge day rates have dropped by $200K/day. For jackup rigs in the Gulf of Mexico only 9% of the rigs are under contract, the lowest levels on record.

Onshore Update

One consistent theme has been continued pricing pressure. For AC driven land rigs spot rates are currently hovering $15K/day with some contractors offering additional pricing discounts in exchange for term extensions. Despite this some contractors have already received early termination notices such as H&P which received 12 additional termination notices for land rigs in the US.

Articles of Note

Oil below $30 fans wipeout fears among U.S. shale survival artists

Short sellers killed it and killing again

Saudi Aramco winning the battle but losing the war

It's not a subsidy...Saudi break-evens are like ~$10/Bbl, the company is wildly profitable in the current oil price environment.

So the answer is investors that could get comfort around buying into an extremely profitable company despite knowing that it will always be government-controlled. That's who would support and buy into that IPO

Is that verified fact that saudi break-evens are ~$10/Bbl? Keep in mind their motivation for IPO'ing Saudi Aramco - they are undeniably feeling the pinch of low oil prices and have burnt through over $100bn in foreign reserves over the past year alone. They are running a budget deficit and trimming spending.

Not sure there a lot of those around who would get comfortable owning part of a government-controlled asset in these uncertain geopolitical times especially when new leadership (US or Saudi) could change in a year's time potentially changing the status quo.

The $10 figure gets thrown around quite a bit but, with Saudi Arabia being a petro-state it all depends on what the governments goals are. Saudi Arabia has large social programs and safety nets that it has to spend on to avoid protests and social upheavals.

I'll have to take some time and read through these but these articles are trying to answer the same question:

Saudi Arabia Fiscal Break Even Price

Break Even Analysis for Saudi Arabia

Links are broken for me. I agree with you that they have large social programs and safety nets that they know they need to maintain, esp given the recent political unease. My point is what they've been echoing and will continue to echo is that they will unrelentingly keep pumping supply until the US and other suppliers cut their production in order for saudi to maintain their share of the market; whether this proves to be realistic is a different question. The Aramco IPO I feel is a theoretical exercise to prove that they will be fine 1,2,3, however many years out such that they would be able to hypothetically use the ipo proceeds to keep their economy and budgets stable. At this level their foreign reserves would get depleted within 6,7 years. However I just dont see international interest in participating in an ipo in a region that is more volatile and where there is no guarantee of your assets not being appropriated at some point in time. Let alone the infinitesimal and catastrophic possibility of trump winning the election...

Best Response

I've fixed the links so they should work now. As for interest in the IPO, I think they will find investors and not necessarily American ones. I can see the Chinese showing interest in an IPO as an example.

As for the region being volatile, yes you're correct however I would say Saudi Arabia will remain stable in terms of the royalty and its influence. America will most definitely do whatever it needs to (as well other nations) to ensure that Saudi Arabia doesn't turn into another Syria, Libya, etc. With this being said the risks I see with an IPO is the government screwing investors over and not allowing them to have a say in how the company operates.

I highly doubt Saudi Arabia will do so because if it does it will turn into a pariah and be blocked from the capital markets, an area the kingdom has been trying to expand and tap into.

Lastly lets all hope Trump doesn't win..and this is coming from a conservative.

Two different types of "Saudi breakevens" we're talking about here.

The one I'm talking about (~$10) is the price of oil Saudi Aramco needs for their wells to be economic. i.e. If they drill a well, it will provide a positive rate of return. It has nothing to do with government programs or government goals

The one you're talking about is the price of oil the Saudi government needs to break-even fiscally; for their government revenues (which they receive from Aramco) to cover their expenditures (social programs, etc.).

The distinction is important, because capital allocation decisions will be based on the former. And if you're a private investor considering investing in Aramco, you don't really care how the Saudi government is doing, as long as you are receiving your fair proportion of the distributions Aramco is making

This is a good idea.. may contribute with a weekly Ags update in sync with this - would be good to have some content like this to go along side the rest of the forum

With the Aramco IPO, I would think there is a serious risk of Saudi expropriating foreign ownership of the company if/when oil prices rise a few years down the road, especially given the uncertainty of leadership in the government even in the near term. When oil prices rise there will be huge pressure on the royal family by the Saudi people to keep those earnings at home.

I don't know how exactly that would work, but anything is possible in that part of the world.

Do you have any primers on the oil and gas industry? Also, what are your thoughts on US production right now. A lot of figures are thrown around but broadly it seems as if production is declining but at a slower rate than initially expected and lack of significant demand growth on the other-side.

Deutsche Bank has an O&G primer you can Google and find. If you are a beginner then I've been told Oil 101 by Morgan Downey is also a good book.

I'll have to research but I can pull some data for you to show production levels and rate of decline (if I can find it) and I'll post it to this thread.

Exercitationem aut doloremque optio quo excepturi. Aut debitis consequuntur doloremque soluta aliquid veniam quis.

Sit vitae dicta est quo eum sed natus natus. Aut veritatis voluptas sint eum quis doloribus vel. Voluptatem quisquam velit harum unde quasi perferendis sunt rerum. Error ut recusandae sunt maxime rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”