1st Year Analyst Buying a $150k Coop in Manhattan

Hey everyone,

Incoming first year analyst here.

I’ve been talking with my grandad and he keeps on telling not to rent and to get a roof over my head. It’s been getting me to wonder, I expect to be in NYC for 4-5 years minimum.

I was looking for some cheap apartments and came across som Coops in Harlem area/ very north Manhattan going for around $150k: 2b 1BA ~750sq ft.

Not bad at all, and I don’t mind the location tbh.

Given that my average price renting would be let’s say ~3k month, over 5 years that’s $180k that I’m paying in rent.

Why pay rent when I could be building home equity and rent out the second Bedroom to someone to supplement my mortgage payments? This makes sense to me.

Anyone care to add some thoughts ?

I imagine returning to your Co-op in Harlem is quite similar to returning to your base in a zombie survival video game, or one of your settlements in Fallout 4.

Shits busted af but its yours. There is a non-zero chance you will get attacked for all of the loot you just gathered in the open world. You will need to periodically defend you're settlement from super mutant crack-heads.

Most Helpful

why pay rent when instead you can pay property taxes, mortgage interest, homeowners insurance, HOA / co-op fees, closing costs, maintenance, Harlem pest control and for all those costs, or 'equity building' as you call it, you get to look out your window and see Harlem fentanyl addicts rummaging thru your trash. 99% of boomer financial advice can be completely ignored, the sooner you learn this the better off you will be. 

NYC native here — terrible idea. You don’t actually know you will want to stay in the city that long and Harlem is a hike from your office (likely Midtown) and where your friends will want to hang out (lower Manhattan).

Factoring in transaction / realtor fees on both ends and then HOA/maintenance, taxes, etc. it’s unlikely you will actually build any material amount of equity worth the sacrifice of living in a bad neighborhood far from what you’ll be doing.

It’s in Harlem dude.

Life is too short to live in crappy areas and become tied to once place when young.

If you’re truly in banking, you’ll make plenty of money that a few years rent at the start of your career is no big deal. And if your grandad really cared about you, he would help you buy a proper place and not just give out advice with no backing.

Don't do it please.

Even in the unlikely event that this investment pans out for you in 5 years because you had the magic touch of picking the next Williamsburg, this is not worth it purely for the mobility sacrifice you have to make so early in your career. This property is undoubtedly in a very dumpy part of Harlem. You "expect" to be in NYC for 5 years, but what if you got a partner track offer for your dream firm in year 3 in LA? What if your future gf needs to go to grad school in Boston? You will almost certainly lose money to transaction costs flipping out of the property and you will not be able to rent this out profitably (not to mention this is not a good use of your time to be managing a shitty little rental). What is a better risk-adjusted investment to park your $150K (which is not insignificant for a 1st year analyst) - liquid index fund or this co-op? Do you understand the intricacies of how NYC co-ops are managed and what that means for your unit btw?

Even if you stay rooted in NYC, there are so many neighborhoods that you don't know about yet that you will want to try out in the future. Your life stage will evolve (friend group shift, SO, marriage, pets, kids) so quickly that this apartment will be useless to you in about 2-3 years if all goes to plan. Even if the value doubles, you made like less than half a year's work for a mediocre VP (which you presumably should be in 5-6 years).

Ugh the FBI still quotes the Dow... -Matt Levine

Bro you’d be safer commuting from Sudan or the DRC. Would you buy an apartment in Compton on Grove street or in Chicago near O-Block?

Get roommates and spend 2-3k on rent in a nicer part of Manhattan closer to your office and you’ll actually live long enough to see your first bonus check, which you can save for a down payment on a unit in a marketable area.

The zombies in Harlem are locked and loaded your pepper spray is just gonna guarantee your death lmao

You should never ever buy real estate, especially in NYC if you don't know the area of the apartment. Do you know the difference between coop and condominium? Do you know what a coop is? A board of people create rules in your building and you must follow them to the letter. Do you know the rules of the coop? What are the conditions of selling? Conditions of renovating? Conditions of renting? 

So what if you buy a coop if it is impossible to rent it, or overly difficult to sell. You have to have your board approve of you selling to a specific person. They can choose to reject for  sale for any reason. And there are a lot more questions to be asked before buying.

Take your time to save money to buy a decent place. There is a very good reason why that place is 150k in Manhattan. Additionally, all economic factors suggest we're in for a crazy time in real estate. Take the next few years to get to know the city and see what happens

When I was interning in NYC, someone told me, "If you find yourself above 96th street, turn around, but if you find yourself above 125th, run for your life." I took that advice to heart and did not venture past 96th. you should do the same

As a NYC co-op owner (UES, if it makes a difference), my answer would be a resounding "no"

As others have pointed out, location is the most important thing in real estate (and Harlem is an undesirable location, sorry), but the second most important thing in real estate is minimizing headaches/stress, and I cannot tell you how much brain damage I have suffered at the hands of the sociopaths that populate my co-op's board. Also remember that monthly maintenance fees at co-ops only go up (never down) and you will be constantly nickel-and-dimed for various "assessments" (extortions)

If you absolutely have to buy, try for a condo instead. Probably unrealistic in Manhattan, but you might be able to find something in one of the other boroughs or even Jersey City

Living in Harlem is stupid as fuck. I was born and raised in the city and even I wouldn’t feel safe living in that shit hole. Also the HOA fees and Co-op fees are gonna hit you like a truck. Just rent for now.

These comments are exaggerating about Harlem. Large pockets of the neighborhood are gentrified. There will be certain streets where locals don't even want to cross however. 125th overall is decent, except for the east side. East 125th (where the 4,5, 6 stops) is crackhead central. Do not go there. Central and west is alright.

Considering you found a place that's around $150k is suspicious. I never found a listing that cheap and I'm a local. You could PM me if you have questions about certain neighborhoods in the northern part of Manhattan or in the outer boroughs. 

Total noob comment from me here. But 10 years ago I put my wife up in Spanish Harlem while she was doing summer school in NYC.  Seemed pretty safe and flavorful. Did NYC spiral down in the last decade? Or is Spanish Harlem just totally different than the more upper parts of Harlem? I ask because all the above comments made Harlem seem scary, but Spanish Harlem seemed relatively safe to me - back in 2012 anyway. 

Spanish Harlem is a different neighborhood. And 125th is bad, but not as bad as everybody in this thread is making it out to be.

West 125th is for sure better than east 125th though

Some parts of Harlem are quite nice. Morningside park is gentrifying pretty rapidly and if it’s close enough to Columbia University you could rent it to students.

However, the last time I went to an apartment showing there was a homeless dude sharpening a pocket knife on a brick less than 20 yards from the building and I bet this apartment would have been going for a lot more than 150k.

New York is a lot more than lower Manhattan and the upper East side but I highly recommend you do your due diligence (ie actually visit the area) before you start buying cheap ass apartments.

I made the mistake of walking home from E-Zoo (on Randall’s Island) across the bridge and through East Harlem. We took the 456 train from 125th to 77th at like 1am and it was sketch as hell. Thankfully there were a lot of cops and a lot of people around at the 125th station but still looking back I took a big risk. I generally Uber home after 10pm and don’t go above 96th street.

Not an investment banker, but work in finance and have lived in East Harlem 4 years now. Like others have said, the specific area of Harlem will make a difference, but at the same time not really. Let me explain. As I said I live in East Harlem and live between the area of 110th and 125th. What do you picture when you think of that area? While I have never had a serious issue living there, that does not mean it is not a problem area. 

So to the question of what do you picture - let me fill in the blanks. Every day I go for a morning walk with my girlfriend for 30 - 45 mins and in that time we will see at least 15+ homeless individuals. This is the earlier part of the morning ~8am. It gets worse as the morning goes on with homeless people lining the street to sell random, stolen goods (their soaps and potions) in order to buy more drugs. While I WFH most days, if I come home from the office, without fail there is people with suitcases on the ends of the subway platform who are doing drugs. In Christmas Eve my local bodega was robbed right in front of me. 

This is not an area you should casually walk through. I think that many in NYC actually aren't very aware of their surroundings and normalize crazy people around them all the time. If you do that here, you will be a target. Now as I have said I have not had a serious problem, but that doesn't mean I have not had moments where things could have escalated. For example, I walked into my local coffee shop and someone followed me in there and then said "you following me? I see you following me." If you could not guess I did not know who this individual is, but the cashier ended up pulling out a hammer and I squared up for a fight because I am always going to protect myself and for sure my gf who was with me.

I don't say the above to sound cool or tough. There is nothing cool or tough about living in this area. I am moving soon and cannot wait. The only reason I am here is because I randomly found a 1 bd / 1bath newly renovated that is rent stabilized (<$1.8k month). You are going to be an investment banker. Get a roommate or a studio somewhere nicer and enjoy. 

Harlem has gone down significantly form when I moved here so please do yourself the favor and avoid if you can.

Sit totam quos necessitatibus pariatur occaecati dolorum tempore. Eum dolores sint molestiae hic inventore. Sapiente qui sit magnam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”