2018 Sophomore Summer Analyst Recruiting Megathread Page

It's that time of year again, wasting countless hours trying to get into a BB sophomore banking internship. Don't worry all the hard work will hopefully at least get you into a boutique internship this summer. Best of luck and here are some of the sophomore diversity/non-diversity programs and recruiting for investment banking and other divisions.

-Wells Fargo
-Citi
-JP Morgan
-Morgan Stanley
-Goldman Sachs
-Credit Suisse
-Deutsche Bank
-BAML
-HL

2018 Summer Analyst IB Recruiting Timeline Megathread Page
https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/2018-summe…
2018 Full-Time IB Recruiting Timeline Megathread Page
https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/2018-full-…

Best Response

Can there be a thread for just non-diversity sophomores lol. Most, if not all of the above are for diversity sophomores in SEO and other third party diversity programs where recruiting is straightforward.

For non-diversity sophomores, it would be best to discuss regional or boutique MM/LMM banks that offer paid internships.

Honestly, if you want non-diversity you can either get lucky at MS or GS and apply and get a spot. Which good luck with that or you can hustle and network into a local boutique/MM by cold emailing and utilizing your alumni network. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of easy opportunities for sophomores to get experience, but there is plenty of opportunities if you are willing to send out 300 emails to firms ranging from NY to LA. Best of luck on the internship hunt.

If a student goes through the recruitment process at BB bank as a sophomore, and doesn't get an offer, can it have any negative effects going into junior year recruitment? As in would it hurt an application during junior year given that the same student was rejected sophomore year at the same bank? Just curious, thanks.

Array

Is there anyway we can make a definitive list of what sophomore programs are open? I know these ones are open

That's about as far as i know. Are

Programs open yet? What about other ones like BNYMellon, Wells Fargo, etc? If anyone knows if they are or aren't I can make an updated list for all of us to keep track of in one post!

Sophomores,

Here is the best advice I can give you. 1. Network harder than anyone else you know. If a buddy of yours calls 2 people a week, call 4. If you are at a target, take advantage of that and set a goal, say 10 GOOD emails a week to alumni. Don't think that your school's name will network effectively for you; it won't. If you are from a non-target, accept the fact that you are at a non-target, get over it, and use that chip on your to your benefit. The last thing anyone in the industry expects is a kid from some random school networking their butt off for a job.

1. When networking, you must be genuine. YOU NEED TO HAVE A QUESTION. Calling up an alum at GS and saying "I want to intern at GS" is about as good as saying "I'm entitled and think I deserve this, hence why I didn't prepare well for a call!"

2. Have a reason for every interest you are professing to have. If generalist M&A, then defend it. If specifically restructuring, then defend it. You aren't expected to have a detailed life plan, but you at least need to demonstrate you've taken time to learn about the industry enough to have some idea of what is out there. This being said, its hard to get a good grip. This is where informational interviews come into play. Have those as early as possible.

3. Don't sweat it if your internship isn't at a bulge bracket. Realistically, like 0.0001% of sophomores will have that. It really doesn't matter. I interned at a HF my sophomore summer where I did basically nothing finance related and played ping pong. However, I spun it well, displayed that I was passionate about what little I learned, and was grateful for the experience. Bankers want to see that you are passionate, proactive and smart. More than that, however, you need to be humble and accept that just maybe, you dont know everything even if your target school and parents have drilled it into your head that you are the next Stevie Cohen.

Hope this helps. PM me if you guys have any questions!

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”