2024 FT Graduate recruitment IB - London

Obviously market is very difficult right now and it's challenging to apply for graduate positions, but was wondering if all banks that are hiring for 2024 have already posted their vacancies, or is there still a chance that more will open up? Has anyone noticed in previous years that full-time positions open up in late winter or spring? If not, should we assume that the limited number of grad IB positions in London currently advertised for 2024 is all there will be? 

I think it's safe to say that the few FT roles have already closed. Bear in mind that the SA class across the street was actually smaller this year and FT conversion rates for the summer were somewhat lower on average than 2022. the few positions that were open were open at EBs, MMs and LMMs, closed back in mid to late  October.

Most Helpful

Well I’ve seen ppl get AC’s after Christmas & apps opening at some firms in prior years so there may be a chance & some ppl seem to think so this time but even then it’s not any easier to break in than the first round of hiring I mean this cycle & the last one were both hard. There just weren’t that many places open for FT or OC in London & it’s hit/miss at best. For IB I saw FT open at JPM, Barclays, DB, Evercore, Moelis, HL, Macquarie, Standard Chartered, MUFG, Santander, BNP. Citi opened markets. UBS has AM. HSBC had AM/Markets I believe. GS is a black box. OC’s were at MS/GS/JPM, UBS, & William Blair, FTP, Canaccord, Rothschild, PWP. And for some of those they only hired a few ppl like canaccord only needed 1-2 & Evercore RX FT 1 or 2 max unsure on their other groups etc so even if you had a stellar profile it’s just really hard this time & London is totally random like I got rejected from places I thought I’d get traction from & ironically only getting hits from places where I thought I stood no chance. So I’d say plan for them not opening or if they do or hire more from places you weren’t rejected at just have backup plans sometimes you’ll get rejected after a great interview (speaking from experience lmao) that’d be my advice. So just don’t totally bet on IB b/c even in perfect hiring conditions it’s a hard job to land

When do you think these conditions will get better? Ofcourse no one has a crystal ball, but say we have rate cuts in 2024, do you think more positions might open up as the economic environment improves in mid/late 2024 (if that happens). 

When conditions improve, do firms tend to scramble to hire OCs or do they hold back and open up more SA positions in the coming summer? 

Ahaha, my brother in Christ, pay no attention to the market nor the speculators you see on BBG. The Fed, BoE or the ECB will not be cutting rates anytime soon. Higher for longer means just that. In my honest opinion, don't expect the industry to go back to the high flying days of 2021 in the next 5-10 years. I expect the industry will stabilise their current rate of hiring and stick with it in the short-medium term

I’d be on the look out for OC/FT postings from January onwards b/c they’d rather have ppl in place before they expect an immediate need. Don’t think it’ll be like 2021 but it’ll at least get things moving again. Summer interns would likely get higher return rates. Frankly deal activity doesn’t need to skyrocket for there to be demand for new hires due to many deal terms being extremely lean lately but if deal activity trends upwards (it has been in a number of vertical) and rates get cut ~4 times prior to the US elections in November (also likely imo) there would at least be some form of hiring going on. For immediate start there is obviously a lot of supply of laid off ppl or ex-CS etc but for grad hiring or OC you’re generally not competing w/ all of those so it depends.

Itaque sapiente qui sunt libero ut. Quaerat qui ducimus itaque quod consequatur. Aut quo alias dolorem quas saepe. Odit assumenda labore odio expedita illo numquam.

Enim dolores ullam rerum eveniet enim autem ullam. Repellendus consectetur voluptatem vel et. In dignissimos vero magnam magni fugit consequuntur. Eos quos ea velit. Et ut provident et quam mollitia iusto. Unde nesciunt repellendus ut non sit incidunt. Nisi ratione aut aut possimus aut dolorem consequuntur. Et vero quidem perspiciatis omnis earum ea qui.

Occaecati error consectetur sed beatae ut. Suscipit fugit beatae animi reiciendis.

Impedit soluta et vel. Ut iure eveniet laudantium velit odit. Ipsam ea similique rem non facilis voluptas id qui. Dignissimos et eos facere animi. Quas et odio illo ad mollitia earum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”