Best Groups? SA 2024 Group Selection

I’m an incoming IBSA for 2024 seeking advice on which groups I should put down for selection preferences.
I am leaning towards joining an industry/coverage group, but also interested in M&A or LevFin. As of right now I don’t plan on exiting into PE. However, I’m having trouble figuring out which industry I would find most interesting.
What makes someone choose to work in Industrials as opposed to Healthcare, REGAL, Power, or LevFin, etc?

Ah, the age-old question of choosing the right group for your summer analyst stint! It's like picking your favorite fruit from a basket full of exotic options - each has its unique flavor and appeal. Based on the highest ranked content on WSO, here's a bit of wisdom to help you navigate through this selection conundrum:

1. Interest & Passion: The first and foremost factor is what interests you the most. Are you fascinated by the fast-paced world of technology, or does the critical role of healthcare in society speak to you? Maybe the robustness of industrials or the financial intricacies of companies in the LevFin space catch your eye. It's like choosing between a banana and an apple - both are great, but your preference matters most.

2. Skill Set & Strengths: Consider where your skills and strengths lie. If you have a knack for understanding complex financial structures and enjoy diving deep into debt instruments, LevFin might be your playground. On the other hand, if you're more into understanding the operational aspects and market dynamics of companies, an industry group like Industrials or Healthcare could be more up your alley.

3. Career Trajectory & Exit Opportunities: While you mentioned not planning on exiting into PE, it's still important to consider the career trajectory and exit opportunities each group offers. M&A and LevFin are traditionally known for opening doors to a wide range of opportunities, including hedge funds, asset management, and corporate roles, due to the skills you acquire.

4. Deal Flow & Learning Opportunities: Some groups might offer more deal flow than others, leading to more learning opportunities. For instance, TMT (Technology, Media, and Telecom) is known for its high deal flow and dynamic market changes, providing a steep learning curve.

5. Culture & Fit: Last but not least, the culture within the group and how well you fit in can significantly impact your experience. It's like choosing a group of friends; you want to be where you feel most comfortable and supported.

In essence, choosing a group is a personal decision that should align with your interests, strengths, and career aspirations. Whether it's the allure of transforming industries in TMT, the critical societal role of Healthcare, or the financial wizardry in LevFin, go where your passion lies. Remember, it's not just about the group you choose but also what you make of the opportunity. So, grab your metaphorical fruit from the basket with confidence!

Sources: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/hedge-fund/best-industries-to-specialize-in?customgpt=1, How do people narrow down PE funds they want to recruit for?, Social Impact of an Investment Banker?, TMT vs Healthcare vs Consumer vs Industrials pros and cons, Healthcare Overview... Part 1?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Quam deserunt voluptatem maxime impedit et tempore optio. Mollitia neque quia iure accusantium qui modi. Corrupti sunt id in placeat aut. Doloribus eos enim eaque odit impedit sequi corrupti optio.

Aut nihil officia sint vel. Optio omnis occaecati blanditiis nemo eum libero corrupti laborum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”